Training Intra Club - Saturday 10/02/18 @ 10:00am - replay links in post 189

Remove this Banner Ad

Few thoughts...

Smith - My BOG. So sharp when in possession of the ball, won it really well inside and will be a great addition to our midfield group. Also kicked a goal.

Heppell - Was critical of him last year but has returned with much more size. This was evident as he didn't go to ground and stood up in tackles. Big year ahead for the skip.

Stringer - Another who played really well. Kicked a couple of goals and had an impact around stoppages. Running was a big improvement on what he has displayed previously.

Merrett - Typical Zach game, snuck forward for a goal.

Zaka - Linked up extremely well on the outside before going off. Ominous signs for opposition wingmen.

Parish - Quiet first half, not helped by Mckernan getting dominated by Tbell (same goes for Langford, Laverde and Myers). Much better in the 2nd however.

Langford - Got better as the game wore on, should be in for round 1. What stood out to me is him finally realising he's not a skinny kid anymore. Much more confident when attacking the ball on the ground and in the air. Nice lead, mark and goal opposed to Baguley in the 3rd or 4th. Still needs to work on getting his hands free in contested situations however.

Fantasia - Trademark flair on display when moving up the ground, also started the game with the first couple of goals. Going very nicely.

Laverde - Lacked intensity and flair, went off during the 2nd and didn't return. Think he might've been carrying a niggle.

McNiece, Saad and McKenna - All rebounded very strongly with McKenna the pick of the bunch. With the latter two probably locks, McNiece should slot in with ease whenever we are playing against a shorter froward line.

Guelfi - Played everywhere, mostly through half back and midfield. Defended well and his kicking was good. Still needs to put size on so he can stand up in contested situations when playing midfield. Really nice body positioning to out mark Draper early in the game.

Mynott - Attacked the ball ferociously and his quick hands were a highlight. Kicking needs work.

Hooker - Should take a page from Joe's book and hand off to Stringer instead of taking the set shot. Think he ended up with 0.3 and one OOTF.

Begley - Didn't find much of it, but always used it well when he gets it. Has a killer combo with his size, endurance, aggression and disposal so I'd be pumping games into him.

My round 1 team:
FB: Patrick Ambrose - Michael Hartley - Adam Saad
HB: Conor McKenna - Michael Hurley - Martin Gleeson
C: David Zaharakis - Dyson Heppell - Zach Merrett
HF: Jake Stringer - Joe Daniher - Josh Begley
FF: Orazio Fantasia - Cale Hooker - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Tom Bellchambers - David Myers - Devon Smith
I: Kyle Langford - Darcy Parish - Brendon Goddard - Andrew McGrath
E: Ben McNiece - James Stewart - Josh Green

Love that team. Id really like stewart in there but i cant figure out who he replaces.

So I go to look up a few player numbers while watching the intra & this greets me.

Untitled.png

Essington, Essington, Essington...

After watching today best 22 for me is:

Baguley - Hartley - Ambrose

Mckenna - Hurley - Saad

Zacka - D.Smith - McGrath
TBC - Heppell - Zerrett

Stringer - Hooker - Fanta

Walla - Daniher - Stewart

Bench: Gleeson/Goddard (Def), Begley (F), Parish (M), 1 of Langford/Myers/Laverde

Guelfi has come right into calculations

Parish would want to perform better in the JLT

Langford was the best of those 3 from what i saw but it when he went forward he was at his best

I think theres only 2 spots for Baguley/Goddard/Gleeson unless Goddard takes the last midfield spot and none of Laverde/Langford/Myers play

The talk around Ridley is really enticing cant wait to see him play and push his way in ahead of a Ambrose/Hartley/Gleeson and shuffle the decks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley going off with what looked like a hand/wrist injury,

edit, hopefully ok

Hurley just came out and announced that he reckons he's OK hasn't broken anything and probably just needs to ice it up and he'll be fine in a week. Obviously just his opinion but sounds good to me.

My round 1 team:
FB: Patrick Ambrose - Michael Hartley - Adam Saad
HB: Conor McKenna - Michael Hurley - Martin Gleeson
C: David Zaharakis - Dyson Heppell - Zach Merrett
HF: Jake Stringer - Joe Daniher - Josh Begley
FF: Orazio Fantasia - Cale Hooker - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Tom Bellchambers - David Myers - Devon Smith
I: Kyle Langford - Darcy Parish - Brendon Goddard - Andrew McGrath
E: Ben McNiece - James Stewart - Josh Green

I think this side is pretty much spot on but if Langford doesn't prove himself then I would bring Stewart in.

Last edited:
After watching today best 22 for me is:

Baguley - Hartley - Ambrose

Mckenna - Hurley - Saad

TBC - Heppell - Zerrett

Bench: Gleeson/Goddard (Def), Begley (F), Parish (M), 1 of Langford/Myers/Laverde

Guelfi has come right into calculations

Parish would want to perform better in the JLT

Langford was the best of those 3 from what i saw but it when he went forward he was at his best

I think theres only 2 spots for Baguley/Goddard/Gleeson unless Goddard takes the last midfield spot and none of Laverde/Langford/Myers play

The talk around Ridley is really enticing cant wait to see him play and push his way in ahead of a Ambrose/Hartley/Gleeson and shuffle the decks

I agree Keyman, Parish & Laverde were both underwhelming for me The Elfi impacted the game and didn't look out of place. He can play a role when needed this year. Expect that he will get a few games before the seasons end.

At this stage I would go with Goodard over Bags however I am not sure out of Myers & Langford ( Lav for me needs to show much more before he is in consideration).

The other selection I would make depending on match ups is Gleeson over Ambrose. His intercept marks, make him a vital cog in our back 6. Ambrose, whilst important needs to play on the bigger players and is perhaps less flexible. If we have to cover 3 Apes, then we would need him to play. His selection should be contingent on opposition rather than an automatic selection.

My best 22 right now.

Baguley - Hartley - Gleeson

Mckenna - Hurley - Saad

TBC - Heppell - Zerrett

Bench: Goddard (Def), Begley (F), Parish (M), either Langford or Myers

Emergency: Mckernan / Guelfi / Mcneice

My best 22 right now.

Baguley - Hartley - Gleeson

Mckenna - Hurley - Saad

TBC - Heppell - Zerrett

Bench: Goddard (Def), Begley (F), Parish (M), either Langford or Myers

Emergency: Mckernan / Guelfi / Laverde
Not having Josh Green in there reduces your credibility.

The 3 new recruits were impressive. Lot of the good senior players were a cut above.

Guys that need to step up were still underwhelming. Parish disappointed me and I'm starting to worry about the call I made.
What was he Call Kelvin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back