JR SWALLOW

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
westcoast,barcelona
Awesome if anyone can make it down there can we please get some feed back on who performed well,who was missing and positions would be great to know cheers.:thumbsu:

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Went down this morning and got to see a lot of players I hadn't seen before in action. The teams were divided into the "Probables" in the red guernseys against the "Possibles" in the white. The reds looked to win fairly comfortably although it wasn't a walkover and was quite a competitive game. The skills were quite good for the first real hit-out of the season but it was so bloody hot. I was sweating sitting in the shade. Looked like the crowd was about 150 - 200 max. The boys all looked very fit. They played 3 periods of about 25 minutes each before coming off around 11:30am

Most of the "senior" players (those with AFL experience) were on the red side, and dominated. Although our rookies are a good size it was easy to tell the players who have been in the system a while just from their superior physiques. Michael Rischitelli was easily BOG from my vantage point, with Jarrod Harbrow also playing very, very well. Josh Fraser did well early and looks like he will be our first ruck. Nathan Krakouer also looked a class above a lot of the younger players.

Ablett, Brennan and Bock did not play, neither did Josh Caddy who looks OK so he mustn't be far off it. I was surprised at the some of the younger players who did not play - Sam Day, Steven May, Jeremy Taylor, Rory Thompson, Tom Lynch?, Zac Smith, Piers Flanagan, Joel Wilkinson, and Nathan Ablett. I thought they were all fit so not sure if that means they're no chance for next week or have already picked themselves?

Of the younger brigade, Brandon Matera was very good in a forward pocket, Josh Toy solid on a back flank, Matt Shaw stood out on a wing although it didn't appear as if anyone was on him a lot of the time. Alik Magin was also a livewire in the forward line. Trent McKenzie was also good before succumbing to what looked like an ankle injury. He was the only injury worry from what I saw. All these players were in the red guernseys as was Karmichael Hunt who did not look out of place at all. Has trimmed down a lot but still has those tree trunk legs - played on a back flank.

Will carry on after I have this beer :D

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I got there at close to 11-ish, and the boys were about to go back out on the field.

Harbrow, Krakouer and Brown were solid in the backline; was impressed by Matera, and Rischitelli played good as well. Hunt did some nice things, but one of the kicks to him left him stationery waiting for the mark, and was an easy steal for the opposition.

One significant moment in the time that I was there was when Krakouer chased down Mav Weller for holding the ball.

Guys like Ablett and Brennan didn't play, along with some of the lesser known guys like Rory Thompson. Big Jeff White was playing as well. Still played alright!

edit: ^ pretty much summed up my thoughts. :p

kruscendo

Draftee
Aug 20, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Was down there too

Agree with Risca, he was definitely BOG by a mile. Harbrow was in everything and effective as well. Matera was lively but with the amount of ball the reds had in their forward line and the definite difference in class (possibles v probables) someone had to be the recipient of all the loose ball in the whites back half. He just seems too slight to make an impact at AFL level this year. Charlie Dixon was one who impressed again after being in the top 2 or 3 on the ground last week. Very aggressive and brings the ball down and makes a contest every time he doesn't cleanly mark (again though, soo much ball down in the reds forward line, it probably isn't fair to say he would dominate like this normally)

Even though I mentioned it looked like possibles/probables, some choices were strange for mine. Mav Weller was on white and I was almost certain with the way he has been playing and training (plus being in leadership group) in previous weeks he would be a lock for round one. Maybe he was put on the white team to tag the better midfielders of which he did a good job again today.

Overall the skills were very good some of the big pluses were Bennell (silky), swallow (couple of beautiful centre clearances), Brown, risca, McKenzie (I have been wondering why this kid has such a wrap on him while watching training drills, but was great today in the game situation).

Hunt looks so composed down back and is especially good in traffic. Consistently made the great choices, provided voice, shepherds and weaved his way through numerous attempts to tackle him. Last week he marked up on both Dixon and Ablett and held his own. All doubters, be prepared this year. On the other hand I thought Harris who got his fair share of the pill consistently turned it over by hand and foot and put his team mates into trouble. I personally don't think he will hold his spot (if he has first dibs anyway) for very long. So much young talent up here (Swallow, Bennell, Weller, Lock, Stanley, Prestia, Iles amongst others way ahead in my starting 22)

Another who really impressed was Danny Stanley. Looks like he has everything, so you have to wonder why Collingwood would let him go. Seemed a real good size, made great decisions and I guess he is just one of those solid performers who gets pushed out of starting teams because of guys with more supposed upside.

Thats all I can think of. Overall was definitely very impressed with the skill level, and competitiveness and am sure the Suns will give many teams a solid run for their money. Im glad Carlton has them 2nd round before they start to click....

How heavy is Dixon now, his legs looked nearly as big as k's. He would have to just about be the same height and weight as Jonathan brown by the looks of him. Cant wait to see him when he really clicks and he will.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Players below for red (probables) and white (possibles) teams:

Red: Jarrod Harbrow; Alik Magin; K. Hunt; N. Krakouer; Josh Fraser; Trent McKenzie; Josh Toy; Daniel Harris; Charlie Dixon; David Swallow; Danny Stanley; Matt Shaw; Campbell Brown; Brandon Matera; Michael Rischtelli; Sam Iles; Harley Bennell; Seb Tape.

White: Marc Lock; Mav Weller; Luke Russell; Lewis Moss; Joey Daye; Tom Nicholls; Michael Coad; Roland Ah Chee; Taylor Hine; Jack Stanley; Rex Liddy; Jack Hutchins; Dion Prestia; Liam Patrick; Daniel Gorringe; Jacob Gilbee; Jake Crawford; Jeff White.

I thought Jacob Gillbee, Luke Russell and Tom Nicholls did alright for the White team.

I was wondering about Mav playing in the white side as well - tagging role could be it.

On Matera, I was thinking he would be too small to make an impact this year as well, BUT he is such a clever player, very nippy and elusive, dangerous around goal and has very, very good skills - rarely fumbles, I wouldn't be surprised for him to be a regular this year. He is actually quite broad across the shoulders, built more like Wally and Phil than Peter.

Interestingly late in the last period, McKenna had the entire white side play in the back half like a massive flood, with the red team having to control play and try to spot a target rather than just bomb away.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How heavy is Dixon now, his legs looked nearly as big as k's. He would have to just about be the same height and weight as Jonathan brown by the looks of him. Cant wait to see him when he really clicks and he will.

He has a few inches on JB but I don't think he would be heavier yet (glad to be wrong though). With his size and mobility he will prove a handful for defenders (here's hoping). Took a couple of strong grabs that I saw.

munsonned

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2004
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was down there also, and had a chat to one of the Suns staffers. I pointed out that it appeared to be a Probables Vs Possibles and he actually said that it wasn't meant to be that way. He said that there were many probables on the white side as well.

The reds then proceeded to flog the whites. (although the whites did have some good passages of play)

Skills were really quite good and better than expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Never trust those staffers - they tend to think everyone is an opposition spy and tell porkys ;)

That said, the whites put up a brave show and I wouldn't be at all surprised for a few of them to make it into next week's squad.

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
io126c.jpg

Jeff White seems to be enjoying life on the Coast, actually thought he played quite well.

Riska was very good and agree with the earlier poster who mentioned how Charlie Dixon seems to have put on a bit of bulk.

CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
Great reports guys , i was'nt able to make it , can someone tell me after watching the intraclub , how our forward looks like its going to function.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I was talking to my Mum (of all people! haha) about this a little earlier.

For the white team, it almost seemed as if they would push up the ground, then when they got possession, would run back with the flight of the ball, trying to catch out the defense with quick, skillful long passes.

The red team however, seemed to have more of a structure.

somethingfine

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Surfers Paradise
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tennessee Titans
A bit late on this but I managed to have a good look at the boys yesterday:) The write-ups so far here have been pretty much spot on.

I have to agree that forward pressure on the 'Probables' team was almost non-existent. Matera played all over it but still to me he looks so slight and undersized that I'd be surprised if he's going to play anything close to that level against big boys.

Charlie Dixon looks like a beast, for a young one he looks more than capable of holding a spot down well. He presents, contests, has a good set of hands and what looks to be a fairly reliable kick. Only regret yesterday is that we didn't get to see the forward line operate with both Dixon and Day.

Not panic stations by any means, but a little underwhelmed with Swallow... playing against a pretty average midfield I would have thought he'd go better. Did some nice things for sure, but on reputation alone he is going to draw some much much better competition through the year.

But all in all, in general, the 'Probables' look to have a a nice game together. Ball movement was good, and skills look fairly polished leading into the NAB cup. I think we this is a team here that is going to win a few games :)

somethingfine

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Surfers Paradise
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tennessee Titans
No doubt Matera played well... the defensive pressure from the 'Possibles' was fairly average though. These guys (Dixon included) are going to have to perform like that and then some to make an impact come round 2.

Having said that, GWS next Saturday night could provide another lax defense to run wild again. Confidence builder perhaps... could be pretty useful to get the ball rolling for GC's first 'real' win against Carlton :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back