Game Day Intraclub- Roos v Roos Sat Feb 18th -Arden St

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt less frustrated than usual with bad kicking. There were still a few that annoyed me, and usual suspects at that. JZ, Lmac, Jy and McKay (usually good). But overall it seemed a good day. Not sure if it’s actual improvement and if so if it’s personnel, game plan or skill improvement but it’s promising

I felt less frustrated than usual with bad kicking. There were still a few that annoyed me, and usual suspects at that. JZ, Lmac, Jy and McKay (usually good). But overall it seemed a good day. Not sure if it’s actual improvement and if so if it’s personnel, game plan or skill improvement but it’s promising

For all Jy’s evasiveness, ball winning ability and gut running - it is demoralising to see him hit such terrible kicks off the boot let alone missing targets. Is it at all possible that he becomes a distributor like Sam Mitchell out of traffic and sets up other ball users. To me, it seems like he still thinks he can kick which is a worse predicament to be in the someone who knows they can’t and sets up other players?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just finished the game and feel like everything that needs to be said has probably been said, however I did want to emphasise one thing.

The most impressive player for me based on my expectations when compared their output in this game was Miller Bergman. He was super clean, used it really well by foot and continually ran to provide an option exiting defensive 50. He was easily the best rebound defender on the field and I really think we have one here.

Just finished the game and feel like everything that needs to be said has probably been said, however I did want to emphasise one thing.

The most impressive player for me based on my expectations when compared their output in this game was Miller Bergman. He was super clean, used it really well by foot and continually ran to provide an option exiting defensive 50. He was easily the best rebound defender on the field and I really think we have one here.
Great minds think alike😜

I don’t think anyone can really justify him not being in the side if we have the same availability as yesterday. That’s coming from someone (me) who doesn’t particularly want him in the 22, but it’s just undeniable.

Might change when Tarryn/Goater come back and Sheez goes full time forward, however we need a pressure focused forward and KT probably the only one that will do it consistently of those available.
For sure. Turner just needs to get his hands on the ball more often which I think has been a glaring issue in the past. It is all good to be that defensive pressure role player but he can also be that target getting into space providing an option or getting the ball to a hotspot.

Being a forward means he should be getting more involved and it looked like he was yesterday. Clarko is probably going to improve a few players and give us a surprise. We've always been languishing about the 'North Melbourne effect' where we take an exciting prospect and turn him into a plodder. That ends here I reckon.

Hopefully we start seeing performances of what we want to see as opposed to what we've become accustomed to. We haven't been sexy for a lotta years. I am not saying Turner will change completely but the roles we've given him have been pretty heavily focussed on one thing. Sometimes under the right guidance, you can make a player from 4-5/10 to 6-7/10 and that can lift the ceiling of the team substantially for that particular season.

Who knows what will happen. I'm still recovering from all the games I went to last year.

McKay's always had a problem with short kicks.

CCJ has apparently entered into top tier whipping boy territory around here. I'm only catching up on the game now and hit the end of the first quarter - he's easily been in the best 3 players on the field. He could stink it up for the next 3, but at the very least he's shown what he's capable of as a tall link-up target around the ground.

EDIT: First inside 50 of the 2nd quarter, he outmarks McKay in a genuine one-on-one which RARELY happens at AFL level and then kicks the goal.

How is anyone shitting on him?

I was impressed, he presented well, took some good grabs and seemed to cover the ground with more purpose, he looked a bit lost last year. It often takes some players 12 months in a new team to adjust from what their old club was doing and what is expected at the new club. He seemed to do more of that heavy lifting between the arcs, didn't see Larkey out in the wilderness as much as he used to be under Noble.

My only real negative is kicking around the body from a 45 degree angle, i think he got one, missed another. It makes sense from tighter angles, I just hope he goes better than 50% with that shot going forward.

I don’t think anyone can really justify him not being in the side if we have the same availability as yesterday. That’s coming from someone (me) who doesn’t particularly want him in the 22, but it’s just undeniable.

Might change when Tarryn/Goater come back and Sheez goes full time forward, however we need a pressure focused forward and KT probably the only one that will do it consistently of those available.

My issue isn't so much who should get a game, it is who will the club sit out.

Assuming McKay, Logue and Corr take the KPP spots. That leaves Ziebell, McDonald, Hall, Perez, Goater, Bergman, Bonar and Young. Does Turner push into the top 3 of that group knowing the club is going to play Ziebell and McDonald as long as they are alive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was flying last year up until he played his first senior game and dislocated his shoulder in the first passage of play. Let's hope he has better luck this year.

80EB3089-7E0C-4FB4-BD09-CC710DA371DD.gif
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

Why is Jy’s kicking so poor? It seems to be getting worse each year. He needs to change his game style or do something.
I never liked his kicking style. To my amateur eyes it appears that the point where foot meets ball is too low, potentially also with * all follow through. Means we get a lot of scrubby worm burners, and shanks like that one against the Saints last year where he gets it in space but kicks it straight into the oncoming defender

Am I right in thinking that he kicked nicely off both feet during the game? Pretty sure the first time I saw him deliver a nice kick up a wing I thought I didn’t remember him being left-footed, and then then the next time he wasn’t.

A bit disappointed to watch the reply and get zero Kearns commentary, but otherwise enjoyed seeing it, and it was nice to see and hear all the fans around the ground.

Just from the replay so you might feel differently at the ground - it seemed nowhere near the intensity of an actual game and even at this level a few players were behind the rest in how hard they were going, which is ok for LDU but seems less than ideal for the guys like Stevo and Phoenix who are at the fringes and I’d have thought would be going full bore like Cooper and Sheez and some other kids were. And whatever his faults, I don’t think Jy does half-hearted, ever - both our new captains leading from the front on effort.

Going pretty early on Turner IMO. He was okay and that's great, I'd like to see how we go with a proper best 23/4 vs an opponent. He was cut for a reason and rookied for a reason.

Why is Jy’s kicking so poor? It seems to be getting worse each year. He needs to change his game style or do something.

Casual and partly high ball drop.

He had 3 or 4 absolutely shocking end over end floaters in the first quarter alone.

Which is par for the course with him these days, he’s got a great step in traffic etc and can rack them up, but he’s horrific by foot, worse than even Simpson and Rawlings ever were…

People a bit down on Simpkin and some rogue kicks and yeah, it's fair to say he struggle for touch at times off the boot. But these figures here show exactly what he brings. This is a player that has very little to prove in the first intra club of the year. Racks it up, runs hard, tackles hard and when neater players like Powell and Phillips take more minutes (which should begin this year) he will be the player hopefully making space for them and keeping opponents honest.

Re the ruck situation I think today clarified for me what I think the structure should be. Starting ruck is Goldy with CCJ on the bench to cover a few minutes of ruck each quarter while also giving Larks and Charlie a few minutes spell when required. I know we loose a little compared to those two when he's up forward, but its about buying them extra capacity at the end of the game from those breaks. I think starting up forward before moving into the ruck may help get him into the game too. Limits Charlie's ruck exposure.

I don't think X can cover a forward position but if Goldy is not available its X starting ruck with CCJ in the same support role. (Free is break glass in an emergency)

Spot on and what I've thought for a while now. Xerri is very much more suited as the starting ruck and I'd have him in that role if Goldy went down.

So did we win? :stern look

Good question and yes we did. i decided for whatever reason to venture back and look at some Comben highlights, which were the 0.03 hrs that he'd played in practice matches at AFL level.

As much as I wasn't impressed by some of the work on the weekend. The old footage showed we had improved and were playing with some structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back