Strategy Investing in our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
We talk a lot as supporters about the need - at this stage of our rebuild - to be developing a high quality midfield for the future (something we don't have now) which will allow us to contend for and win premierships in our next 'window'.

Part of this development is necessarily making the right 'investments'. Invest list spots on players who can be dynamic midfielders of the future. Invest games in players who may not necessarily be in your best 22 at this stage. Invest game time in their preferred midfield position in order to fast-track both their development and our assessment of them as players.

It seems to the naked eye that we aren't doing this but I want to do some analysis to see if this could be proven or not.

There's no single perfect measure but I came up with this as a proxy - what proportion of our centre bounce attendances (CBAs) were we allocating to players with 50 games or less? The rationale is fairly clear - if a player is at the CBA then they're generally playing midfield and if they've got 50 games or less experience they're generally young and developing. Put the two together and you can get a decent metric from publicly available info. For example if O'Brien (66 games), Keays (79 games), Laird (192 games) and Hately (23 games) attend a centre bounce then only one of out four players (i.e. 25%) of that CBA went to 'young' players. Then extrapolate that out for each CBA in each game and you get a trackable measure.

The chart below shows what the proportion has been for the period from Round 1, 2021 until the game on the weekend Round 12, 2022. Although it bounces around a little bit the trend is clearly down and has plateaued at about 20% (i.e. 1 in 5 CBAs to a young player).

Some of the volatility comes when a player (e.g. O'Brien or Keays) goes from the young bracket to the older bracket. Selection also effects it as you can see in Round 9-10 this year when Strachan came in for O'Brien and the number spiked. But it went back down again when Crouch came in and Hately and Berry's combined CBA% went from 131% in Round 10 to 61% in Round 12.

What this doesn't show (as I didn't have time) is how this benchmarks against other teams but surely we can see our way clear to get more meaningful experience into our next generation than we have done to date.

1654493790720.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We talk a lot as supporters about the need - at this stage of our rebuild - to be developing a high quality midfield for the future (something we don't have now) which will allow us to contend for and win premierships in our next 'window'.

Part of this development is necessarily making the right 'investments'. Invest list spots on players who can be dynamic midfielders of the future. Invest games in players who may not necessarily be in your best 22 at this stage. Invest game time in their preferred midfield position in order to fast-track both their development and our assessment of them as players.

It seems to the naked eye that we aren't doing this but I want to do some analysis to see if this could be proven or not.

There's no single perfect measure but I came up with this as a proxy - what proportion of our centre bounce attendances (CBAs) were we allocating to players with 50 games or less? The rationale is fairly clear - if a player is at the CBA then they're generally playing midfield and if they've got 50 games or less experience they're generally young and developing. Put the two together and you can get a decent metric from publicly available info. For example if O'Brien (66 games), Keays (79 games), Laird (192 games) and Hately (23 games) attend a centre bounce then only one of out four players (i.e. 25%) of that CBA went to 'young' players. Then extrapolate that out for each CBA in each game and you get a trackable measure.

The chart below shows what the proportion has been for the period from Round 1, 2021 until the game on the weekend Round 12, 2022. Although it bounces around a little bit the trend is clearly down and has plateaued at about 20% (i.e. 1 in 5 CBAs to a young player).

Some of the volatility comes when a player (e.g. O'Brien or Keays) goes from the young bracket to the older bracket. Selection also effects it as you can see in Round 9-10 this year when Strachan came in for O'Brien and the number spiked. But it went back down again when Crouch came in and Hately and Berry's combined CBA% went from 131% in Round 10 to 61% in Round 12.

What this doesn't show (as I didn't have time) is how this benchmarks against other teams but surely we can see our way clear to get more meaningful experience into our next generation than we have done to date.

View attachment 1417992
Interesting analysis, thanks for preparing it for discussion.

This is of course one metric, you could also include the wing positions, though I don't believe the data is readily available.

If you do have some spare time, the % of centre clearance wins overlaying this would be interesting, and I'd probably take the ruck data out too as Strachen and ROB are the same age, actually not 'young'. So assuming tha

I'd like to see us having at least one 'younger' player for each CBA (i.e. 25%), but it does appear we have settled on less than that.

I've marked our wins on the chart as well

1654496148007.png

What I think is interesting is that there's no obvious correlation between experience in the midfield and wins. So adding experience isn't making us better.

We also seem to be quite reactive. We remove youth from the midfield when losing. This year we put a few wins together, decided to add youth to see whether it would work, then abandoned that idea

View attachment 1417992
It'd be interesting to do it for some of the other rebuilding teams and see how we compare.

View attachment 1418019

What I think is interesting is that there's no obvious correlation between experience in the midfield and wins. So adding experience isn't making us better.

We also seem to be quite reactive. We remove youth from the midfield when losing. This year we put a few wins together, decided to add youth to see whether it would work, then abandoned that idea

A couple of points with the chart. Early last year Rob and Keays were under 50 games so the early part of last year lots of wins.
The recent losses where we had less experienced mids were against finals contenders - that plays a part as well for this analysis. Playing Brisbane or the Saints is different to the Eagles in terms of winning or losing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

View attachment 1418019

Yep we literally did a back flip on something was working with Berry / Hately ie Matt crouch back in and Hately / Berry less mid time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back