Team Captain
Oct 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I was on drugs, admits axed INXS frontman JD Fortune

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

February 19, 2009 03:45pm

DUMPED INXS frontman JD Fortune has lifted the lid on his humiliating axing, admitting success turned him to drugs and he is now living in his car.

The 35-year-old - picked to front the group after winning 2005 series Rockstar: INXS - told Canada’s Entertainment Tonight he was unceremoniously given the boot at a Hong Kong airport.

He is now homeless and desperate to launch a solo career.

"I don't know where I am going from sofa to sofa, from night to night. I am trying to get through my life," Fortune said.

"I was in an airport at Hong Kong and literally got a handshake. They said, 'Thank you very much'. I found myself really alone because I had travelled with these guys for 23 months."

Fortune - real name Jason Dean Bennison - added his departure could have had something to do with his excessive cocaine use.

"It got as bad as it needed to be for me to numb out the fact that I knew this was going to come to a screeching halt," he said.

Fortune was the latest singer to join INXS, filling the enormous void left by the death of Michael Hutchence in a Sydney hotel in 1997.

One-time INXS singer Jon Stevens famously lashed out at the band for enlisting Fortune through the TV show, warning his successor that he would be "raped and pillaged".

Stevens, who spent three years touring with INXS but never recorded with them, advised Fortune to make sure he had a good lawyer.

"(The show's) main objective is money, money and greed," he raved in 2005.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,,25076871-16601,00.html

Its all pretty tasteless and tragic now.

How a band that was so great and as important to Australian music as what they were could end up in such farce is just disgusting.

Musically, they were far and away the classiest thing Australia had ever produced up to that point. No one sounded like them and no one put out a run of albums like they did from Shabooh Shoobah through to X in the 80's. They were massively ahead of their time and if you doubt it, have a listen to The Swing album and try to keep in mind how everything else sounded in Australia (and the world for that matter) when that was recorded.

But its all been shitted all over by what they've done since Michael died.

Sure it wasn't their fault he topped himself, but there were so many other ways they could have gone than the cheap and nasty path that they did.

The farriss brothers and the other tossers in INXS should've pulled a "nirvana" and stopped after Hutcho's death.
However, unlike grohl and novoselic, these w***ers refused to believe that the main drawcard and talent in the band was lost and gone and irreplacable.
See now, we think they're all knobs. It would've surely been better for them all to have joined other bands rather than Flog A Dead horse
(see the doors "other voices" album for comparison. thankfully they gave up after one album). But no, we get 2 or 3 replacement singers and a reality tv show and whatever is next and they STILL think they matter.
INXS died allong with michael hutchence - it's been a bad and embarrassing cover band since.
Phew, all that and im not even a fan!

Can they just piss off already? They're obviously money hungry because if they had any brains, they would realise that Michael Hutchence is irreplaceable. All they've done is tainted themselves by realeasing middle of the road pedestrian crap.
Unfortuneately that's what people will probably remember about them, before they remember their real music.

JD Fortune was just a pawn. A younger, better looking member to act as a drawcard because INXS were still saving for their gold-plated shark cages. They should have given up the second MH died, they're just an absolute joke now and have tainted the history of their band by participating in a reality show to find a member. It was a recipe for disaster and they should just give up.

The truth of the matter is, INXS trying to go on without Michael Hutchence was the equivalent of if Dave and Kris had decided to go on without Kurt.

I'll just echo the sentiments of the other posters and say that they should have called it a day after Hutchence died.

Why you would whore yourself out to a TV network to find your new singer is beyond me. Jon Stevens' comments are spot on.

Just a case of the old band members still desperately trying to cling to some relevance IMO.

INXS firing someone for excessive cocaine use ? ? :rolleyes: ???????

'Scuse me..LMfAoOoO !

Those guys spoon half of bolivia into their schnozes on a weekly basis.

It must have ben because JDF was dipping into their personal stash.

Its all pretty tasteless and tragic now.

How a band that was so great and as important to Australian music as what they were could end up in such farce is just disgusting.

Musically, they were far and away the classiest thing Australia had ever produced up to that point. No one sounded like them and no one put out a run of albums like they did from Shabooh Shoobah through to X in the 80's. They were massively ahead of their time and if you doubt it, have a listen to The Swing album and try to keep in mind how everything else sounded in Australia (and the world for that matter) when that was recorded.

But its all been shitted all over by what they've done since Michael died.

Sure it wasn't their fault he topped himself, but there were so many other ways they could have gone than the cheap and nasty path that they did.

In mainstream music maybe but in alternative music there were quite a few Australian bands leading the way.

As for Inx$$$$ having heard first hand how one band member carries on with his own family nothing they do would surprise me. Seriously w***ers get the hint IT'S OVER!!! O-V-E-R.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back