INXS V Oasis

Remove this Banner Ad

What a weird comparison.

Liam's thing was to slag bands off. Good on him. He's a prick but why not? What else do you want in an entitled rockstar? Just because he slagged off INXS, who were has beens at that point and when Oasis were essentially at their biggest, it doesn't mean you should compare them. I'd rather the tired old but always fun Blur v Oasis – two bands with arrogant frontmen and singles that still resonate but albums that are a chore to burn through.

And Radiohead? How do they come into this? Radiohead are way more consistent, their lows nowhere even near Oasis's nadir, and their highs bigger. They're one of the most important bands of all-time.

And if you want to talk about inspirations, Britpop inspired no one. Just a bunch of shitty imitators who no one remembers. Meanwhile INXS didn't kickstart Australia as a country who churned out musicians, and Oasis weren't massively inspirational either. Just because a band is massive it doesn't mean they made a few million kids want to play guitar. Sometimes really good bands don't even do that.

For what's I think INXS are really corny or utensil-rocky. The only certified banger by INXS is Don't Change. And that thing was done better by a band who had a singer living off meth, which is saying something. The production is terrible and the instrumentation needs to be way more angular for that kind of riff. If you want to talk about the best Aussie band of all time, as GreatBradScott said, you'd be looking at The Church and Go-Betweens (it's a shame The Lucksmiths will never be in the same breath – they're on that shelf). INXS are just gay. AC/DC are much more worthy of putting in some kind of cultural cannon than INXS.
Surely you don't mean the god awful Grinspoon version? Other than that every thing you said was spot on. Two overrated bands who are only revered by people who think rock music doesn't exist outside of what is played on Triple M/96FM

Most of the Oasis songs i like weren't the singles released. Im one of the few Oasis fans that hated Wonderwall. Wouldnt even be in their top 5 songs IMO.
In regards to INXS... was never a big fan but they would go down as the better band between the 2 due to longevity cause of Oasis's breakup. INXS had some cracking songs though and i listen to Suicide Blonde and Disappear all the time

I'm a massive Oasis fan. I don't hate Wonderwall but I don't think it would be in my top ten of theirs. I like INXS but Oasis all the way for me.

Most of the Oasis songs i like weren't the singles released. Im one of the few Oasis fans that hated Wonderwall. Wouldnt even be in their top 5 songs IMO.
In regards to INXS... was never a big fan but they would go down as the better band between the 2 due to longevity cause of Oasis's breakup. INXS had some cracking songs though and i listen to Suicide Blonde and Disappear all the time
I've never really strayed beyond the hits of both bands tbh but I know from experiences with other groups the best stuff is often not released as a single. This is probably my favourite from Oasis

I've never really strayed beyond the hits of both bands tbh but I know from experiences with other groups the best stuff is often not released as a single. This is probably my favourite from Oasis

Yep, great song. My 2 faves probably are Little by Little and Stand By Me.

I never got INXS (and probably never will) . They sounded soulless, wimpy and middle of the road to me. Oasis might have been derivative but their sonic singles (What's the Story and Supersonic) sounded great. There was far more guitar in Oasis compared to INXS.

My top three would be 'Don't Look Back in Anger', 'D'yer Wanna Be a Spaceman'and 'Half the World Away'.

Since when was Noel the frontman of Oasis? Pretty sure that was Liam's role and he did it just as well as anyone. Oasis were the last great rock band (if you exclude Nickelback). The best and most important British band of the last 20 years.

this needs one of those "not sure if serious" gifs.

I don't know which to laugh at more. the excluding Nickleback part or that Oasis were the best british band of the last 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like both bands but the documentary "Supersonic" is a nice reminder of how big Oasis actually got at their peak.

The INXS peak was big but Oasis were a level above.

Oasis had the better albums and songs.

And hardly a compliment for Hutchence saying he was a better frontman then Noel seeing Noel wasn't even the frontman of Oasis...

INXS simply have more good albums, plus a better singles output over a longer period. Despite that famous has-been comment, I think INXS win this. Definitely Maybe is the best album from either band though.

Oasis were certainly bigger at their height, clearly felt like the biggest band in the world for a time, especially beyond the states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back