Discussion IP Australia thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What Freo were not called

Here are some interesting things I found on the image trademark website... a lot of you have probably seen them before, but I'm sure some of you haven't too.

Early Western Bulldogs guernsey design?
118358l1.GIF

Most likely Melbourne Hawks design (but possibly Brisbane lions design)
118360l1.GIF

Very strange West Coast design?
138496l1.GIF

Primarily gold alternate
138495l1.GIF

Now could someone please guide me through how to find the logo designs... thanks.

When you enter as guest and it takes you to the basic search screen, mouseover Search at top of the left hand column and then select Advanced. There's a field in that for ACN.

What's the link for the website mate?

Alright what is Spit N Chips? Was trademarked by the league a while ago.

Also, does anyone have other ACN's of interest? What about individual clubs, or, other sports leagues?

Spit 'n Chips were the CGI animated hosts of Interfooty, which screened on Channel 7 in 1996. Wayne Campbell was a regular on this show with his spot, "Wayne's World".

I was doing much the same as Mero this afternoon too... about 30 minutes later though! Here's what I found on team names:

Names submitted by AFL 08 July 1994

Fremantle Courage
Fremantle Dockers
Fremantle Hammers
Fremantle Mariners
Fremantle Stokers
Fremantle Union

Logos submitted 12 July 1994

Fremantle Courage
Fremantle Dolphins
Fremantle Hammer

Names submitted 20 July 1995

Port Pirates
Port Mariners
Port Sharks
Port Power

Names submitted 11 July 2008

Gold Coast Stingrays
Gold Coast Rays
Gold Coast Marlins
Gold Coast Ironmen
Gold Coast Guards

Also found a few oldish logos... including a couple which were prototypes but not eventually used. Couldn't find guernseys though, might need to use a couple of diff strategies from here to find some stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Surf' was also a registered trademark. From what I remember (this was from a search five minutes ago), it was around the same time as the other GC monikers.

I've no idea what clubs these belong to. Designs were obviously used by other sides (Bulldogs, Eagles...) but not in the described colour ways:

118432l1.GIF

118506l1.GIF

118503l1.GIF

Didn't show up in my search, which uncovered anything registered by the Australian Football League.

A new logo for the Saints was registered in the 1990s but it didn't get used - it was an alternative to the coat of arms they use now. Interestingly, there's a registration for the Saints coat of arms by the league lodged back in 1983.

So apparantly the golf sweater was originally going to have a logo too:

127105s1.GIF

Would've looked far better...

Few A-League things on there as well. All I've found so far. Searched for/the ACN's of 11/18 AFL clubs as well.

So apparantly the golf sweater was originally going to have a logo too:

127105s1.GIF

Would've looked far better...
...and also have the blue and white reversed in the body and cuffs respectively... much more like that Brisbane Broncos version.

It may have been a late clash decision, hence no logo - were they playing Collingwood, Geelong or North by any chance?

Didn't show up in my search, which uncovered anything registered by the Australian Football League.

A new logo for the Saints was registered in the 1990s but it didn't get used - it was an alternative to the coat of arms they use now. Interestingly, there's a registration for the Saints coat of arms by the league lodged back in 1983.
Could you post it for us lazy buggers (for prosperity, of coursee..)? :eek:

OK here's what I got that's of interest - mix of official and unofficial.

Prototype Adelaide logo
Adelaideprototype.jpg

Bear Essentials
BearEssentials.jpg

Bendigo Diggers - interesting their trademarking was held by the AFL, not by Football Victoria.
BendigoDiggers.jpg

A couple of Demons lodged in October 1983
Demon19831003.jpg
Demon19831004.jpg

Football Australia
FootballAustralia.jpg

Fremantle alternates
Freo.jpg
FreoFFC.jpg

Geelong logo which would have been used from 1989 if adopted
GeelongCats.jpg

Grinder - Freo's mascot
ParrotandDocker.jpg

St Kilda logo-device lodged in October 1983
StKilda19831003.jpg

Unused St Kilda design from approx 1995-96, turned down in favour of the current shield
StKildanotused.jpg

VSFL (Victorian State Football League) - the name of the reserves comp in the 1990s
VSFL.jpg

State of Origin early 1990s
StateofOrigin.jpg

Origin 1993
StateofOrigin1993.jpg

Origin 1995
StateofOrigin1995.jpg

Pro Squad - the AFL's hastily-organised answer to Ricky Nixon's Club 10 in 1995. Why use the AFL logo as the U in SQUAD, when using it as the A would have been better - it looks like PRO SQAAD.
ProSquad.jpg

Spit 'n Chips from Interfooty!
Spit.jpg
Chips.jpg

AFL logo with wording across the middle
AFLlogowording.jpg

AFL member
AFLmember.jpg

And for the Essendon traditionalists... this object is described by its trademark as an AEROPLANE and a JET but not a BOMBER :) (The current logo is called a Bomber though so they patched that hole.)
Bomber.jpg

And finally, one random one which turned up in a search, which I think a certain Eagles fan might like.
HotOchre.jpg

Some questions I had when I see those copyrights:

• Is Bear Essentials some Brisbane Bears line for children?
•*Why would a Bendigo name, logo, and jumper be lodged by the AFL?
• Football Australia - is this just a marketing name, or, an alternative to the name of the governing body?
• What is Club 10 and Pro Squad? I'm too young to remember 90's footy
• What is Hot Ochre?

And in case you were wondering, both of those Freo designs were used. That FFC shield used to be on my pops old Kombi van.

Here are some interesting things I found on the image trademark website... a lot of you have probably seen them before, but I'm sure some of you haven't too.

Early Western Bulldogs guernsey design?
118358l1.GIF

Most likely Melbourne Hawks design (but possibly Brisbane lions design)
118360l1.GIF

Very strange West Coast design?
138496l1.GIF

Primarily gold alternate
138495l1.GIF

Now could someone please guide me through how to find the logo designs... thanks.

The bottom 2 are the Bendigo Diggers, The VFL side prior to merging with the Bombers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back