Discussion IP Australia thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You replied to the wrong quote..
Wow.. I must have gone mad, I thought this was the New Jumpers for 2013 thread, when the new Adelaide training jumper was posted.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... ahem. Oh dear.

get_tmi_image.pl
I hadn't seen this until now.
But it belongs here:

Just Googled my way to this thread. Awesome work guys, you've dug up some real gems.

IP Australia is an absolute goldmine. Lots of 'what ifs' and 'WTFs'!

Interesting to read the discussion about copyright and trademark protection. Case 1: This logo isn't an AFL logo. It was lodged by sportswear brand KangaROOS who have been making sneakers with hidden pockets since the late 1970s (at their peak they sponsored NFL star running back Walter Payton). It pops up when you search 'AFL' because the league unsuccessfully tried to stop the logo from being registered locally in 2001.

get_tmi_image.pl

Case 2: This 'AFL Sensation' logo from the mid 90s looks really similar to the 'NFL Experience' logo of the early 90s (especially when you see it in colour). Yet the AFL got away with registering it unopposed. Guess IP rights don't really exist unless the owner chooses to enforce them.

AFL-Sensation.jpg

These composite shields take me back. They were designed exclusively for AFL merchandise and popped up on everything in the mid 90s – caps, varsity jackets, flags, shot glasses, you name it (novelty chains like Granny Maes and What's New were full of this stuff. If you can remember shopping at those stores then it's probably past your bedtime). At the time American licensed apparel and merch was really big, so this was the AFL's attempt to make their licensed product more appealing.

AFL-90s-logos.jpg

These shields were never meant to replace the club's primary logos, but Geelong liked their so much they eventually made it their one and only.
get_tmi_image.pl

It's often assumed that the VFL teams only adopted official logos when the league formed the VFL Properties Division in 1976. But IP Australia shows that the VFL lodged the below logos in 1972. These logos consistently appear in merchandise from that era, and most of the designs form the basis of the standardised shields that were used from '76 to the mid 90s.

VFL-logos-1972.jpg

I like the Bombers logo from this era. Reckon you could modernise it into something pretty sharp.

essendon-1973-scanlens-sticker.jpg

This Saints logo was never used as a primary logo but it was used by the club on training gear in the mid 90s. Anyone have a singlet or jumper with it?

get_tmi_image.pl

Great to see the old VFL Ruckles again too. They used to give away giant cutouts of these guys on the early morning 'VFL Squadron' TV show.

vfl-ruckle-dolls.jpg

Speaking of which:

get_tmi_image.pl

Gold!

AFL-Sensation.jpg

These composite shields take me back. They were designed exclusively for AFL merchandise and popped up on everything in the mid 90s – caps, varsity jackets, flags, shot glasses, you name it (novelty chains like Granny Maes and What's New were full of this stuff. If you can remember shopping at those stores then it's probably past your bedtime). At the time American licensed apparel and merch was really big, so this was the AFL's attempt to make their licensed product more appealing.

AFL-90s-logos.jpg
I saw one of those Richmond logos at the Elimination Final.
On a flag.

Didn't see it much after half time though :p

Gold!

Ha. The more things change, the more they the same...

Unsurprising to know that all of these failed, as did (rightfully) s**t bomber jackets and NBA-lite merch, while these unique, original logos and merch were the things that still sell and continue to be relevant for AFL clubs.

Ha. The more things change, the more they the same...

Unsurprising to know that all of these failed, as did (rightfully) s**t bomber jackets and NBA-lite merch, while these unique, original logos and merch were the things that still sell and continue to be relevant for AFL clubs.

Not sure they were a straight-out failure. Bet they sold a crap load of that licensed product. But they were never meant to replace the real logos – it was just a different way of framing them. Think they were aiming to create a faux-heritage look. Some work. Some look forced.

Was Geelong's shield logo really the equivalent to the other 'four panel' shields?

Not exactly, this is the equivalent, I suppose. Made at around the same time and same shield shape.

get_tmi_image.pl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The above is from 1960's. I've seen Geelong Annual Reports with it on going back that far.
The shield one was first registered in 1992, and it doesn't look like there was any Geelong alternative, so I would say it is from that era of 'everyone has a shield again' logo.

146499.jpg

Was Geelong's shield logo really the equivalent to the other 'four panel' shields?

Definitely. That striped logo was registered in 1992 and was used alongside the other composite shields.

Mero's right. Instead of stuffing around and spending money on a new logo, the Cats just adopted what the AFL had already registered a decade earlier.
geelong.jpg

Essee, that other GFC logo (left) was lodged in 1989 and made it to the register in 1992 (it was based on an old pre-existing Geelong crest that still popped up occasionally on annual reports). It does fit the format of all those heraldic 90s merchandise logos, but I never ever saw it in use. It was the one on the right that was everywhere.

All those 90s logos fit the same basic formula – interlocking initials, stripes from the jumper and maybe an element from the primary logo all squeezed into a shield shaped like the AFL's logo.

There were a couple of odd ones in the set. St Kilda's was the only one that incorporated the full AFL shield, which was used to counterbalance their traditional badge. Carlton's shield featured the fancy old 'Mens Sana In Corpore Sano' crest – which became their primary by the end of the decade. Fitzroy's included a medieval style leaping lion that they seem to have plucked from nowhere. Melbourne's was the only one not in an AFL-shaped shield. It was angled to match the yoke of the jumper. Here's Balmey wearing it in 1993.

balme.jpg

Wow that Melbourne shield is very clever. On first inspection its the guernsey yolk, but also evokes devil's horns and the letter "M"
Looks like there's a white outline around the 'guernsey' part and those horns look a lot more like the rest of the shield rather than horns..

I prefer your ideas though. :thumbsu:

Re: What Freo were not called

Bendigo?

bendigo.jpg
Re: What Freo were not called

Here are some interesting things I found on the image trademark website... a lot of you have probably seen them before, but I'm sure some of you haven't too.

Early Western Bulldogs guernsey design?
118358l1.GIF

Most likely Melbourne Hawks design (but possibly Brisbane lions design)
118360l1.GIF

Very strange West Coast design?
138496l1.GIF

Primarily gold alternate
138495l1.GIF

Now could someone please guide me through how to find the logo designs... thanks.
Don't know if all this has been said but
1.Western Jets (might be prototype or inaugural design)
2.Eastern Ranges
3.Bendigo Diggers (Inaugural home)
4.Bendigo Diggers (Inaugural away)

I believe its name was Sainturion. He was something of a knock off of Captain Carlton.

Also in response to Costa's query re: the alternative Saints logo - I've got a grey cotton Puma King t-shirt with that on it. Was a 1998 training tee. How things have changed!

I remember this guy being on the sticker and temporary tattoo sheets that I used to get with my membership around 2000. Something of an alternative mascot for merchandising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back