Discussion IP Australia thread

Damo Crows Fan

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Re: What Freo were not called

Here are some interesting things I found on the image trademark website... a lot of you have probably seen them before, but I'm sure some of you haven't too.

Most likely Melbourne Hawks design (but possibly Brisbane lions design)
118360l1.GIF

Now could someone please guide me through how to find the logo designs... thanks.
Possible early Crows design?

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Went to bump this thread with a heap of interesting pics and then after re-reading this, found they were all here already! If anyone hasn't yet seen this thread, it's awesome. So many alternate logos (and the website itself has also been responsible for a few leaks over the time too!)

It did give me a probable answer as to why Carlton's 'new' "Mens Sana In Corpore Sano" logo hasn't been used in any of the official AFL marketing this year (e.g. fixtures, website etc) as the actual trademark wasn't accepted until 14 April 2015; acceptance advertised 11 June 2015 and then registration advertised 27 August 2015. I assume the AFL were then happy to wait until next season to make any logo changes across their media. Mr Eagle do you have the details of what those particular dates actually mean?

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Actually, on second inspection of the images I saved, I do have a few that aren't in this thread yet:

The 'AFL man' in a few different poses than what he normally does!
get_tmi_image.pl-3.jpeg

The logo of the old NAFC (National Australian Football Council), the former gatekeepers of the code. It's hard – and now almost romantic – to imagine Australian football not governed by the AFL; that they were actually merely a competition and not essentially owners of the sport itself. This was registered in 1992 and lapsed in 1994.

NAFC 1992.jpeg

And this last one I have absolutely no idea about. Registered in 1996, it's called the "Centenary 1997 Club".... although I can only imagine it would actually be called just the Centenary Club and the description on the ATMOSS site is simply due to the way the logo is structured. Of course it has something to do with the AFL's 100-year celebrations, but they were (erroneously) conducted in 1996 – it even shows that, quite humorously, at the top of the logo. I was merely a toddler when this came out so have no recollection of it... can somewhat help me out? What's with the two years? It's very strange.
get_tmi_image.pl-2.jpeg

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Went to bump this thread with a heap of interesting pics and then after re-reading this, found they were all here already! If anyone hasn't yet seen this thread, it's awesome. So many alternate logos (and the website itself has also been responsible for a few leaks over the time too!)

It did give me a probable answer as to why Carlton's 'new' "Mens Sana In Corpore Sano" logo hasn't been used in any of the official AFL marketing this year (e.g. fixtures, website etc) as the actual trademark wasn't accepted until 14 April 2015; acceptance advertised 11 June 2015 and then registration advertised 27 August 2015. I assume the AFL were then happy to wait until next season to make any logo changes across their media. Mr Eagle do you have the details of what those particular dates actually mean?

Paperwork. Lots and lots of paperwork :p

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Paperwork. Lots and lots of paperwork :p

Were the AFL waiting for that final date to be ticked off though, before they could use it an any formal capacity alongside the other 17 club logos?

Obviously Carlton have been using the wreath this year for quite some time.

Big bump. We've seen Fast5 in the Netball, Twenty20 in the Cricket, Fast4 in Tennis...

Is "AFLX" (or "AFL XPRESS") the next big thing? I can't think of anything else this would be submitted for. It was lodged on the 7 September 2016, a week before the trademarks for the AFL Women's League were lodged.

View attachment 318629
AFL X is 7 a side football on a soccer pitch. There was a thread on the main board about it. Expect it to be a pro version of AFL 9's.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
AFL X is 7 a side football on a soccer pitch. There was a thread on the main board about it. Expect it to be a pro version of AFL 9's.
a guy on reddit claimed to have been involved in a trial game... he said the main differences were that kick ins from the oppositions goal square happened after every score, be it goal or behind with centre bounce only happened to start each quarter. he also said both teams could activate a power play in the first or last 3 minutes of a quarter.

a guy on reddit claimed to have been involved in a trial game... he said the main differences were that kick ins from the oppositions goal square happened after every score, be it goal or behind with centre bounce only happened to start each quarter. he also said both teams could activate a power play in the first or last 3 minutes of a quarter.
Yeah they trialled it with Northern Blues and Coburg from the VFL. Didn't know of those rule changes but I heard it was high scoring and fast paced.

Rainier Wolfcastle

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2006
Montreal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Springfield Isotopes
Some Assorted Images that need explaining
467241.jpg
563005.jpg
541661.jpg
662105.jpg
802423.jpg

The others got explained but the D at left got overlooked!

This started out as Melbourne's unofficial logo in 1987 - first sign of it I could find was on a night premiership souvenir the club put out in April/May of that year...

2016-12-12_20h06_22.png

By 1988 it had replaced the classic Demon shield on all VFL official merchandise.

2016-12-12_20h14_04.png

It was never as good as the classic Demon with a trident (1976-87) it replaced and the Dees have been bouncing from logo to logo ever since :(

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
what do we do to find these online

There's separate searches for both trademarks and 'designs'. TMs have a lot more neat stuff to see but both are interesting.

Use bowakawa's link for TMs. Go here for designs and enter 'australian football league' in the field with the asterisk.

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure where to put this, so bump.

Found this filed by the AFL - were "Surf" and "Stars" also alternates to the Gold Coast Suns names?

EDIT: Would these four have been the final four options they were down to? Suns is included in them, and wasn't in the first five names.
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.45.31 pm.png

They were all filed together the same way the other Gold Coast and GWS proposed names were (and were publicised at the time, or have certainly been mentioned on here):
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.44.52 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.45.14 pm.png

Last edited:
I always thought Stingrays was a certainty, so much so that when I had my 2010 magnet ladder I tried to make a magnet that said GC Stingrays for the next season.
I had no idea the Suns were a team joining the league until they were playing their first match. Interesting how footy consciousness develops at different points of life for different people.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
I always thought Stingrays was a certainty, so much so that when I had my 2010 magnet ladder I tried to make a magnet that said GC Stingrays for the next season.
I can't imagine the type of animal that was involved in Steve Irwin's death was ever going to be the mascot of the new Queensland team.
Not unless you were looking to attract controversy.
He died in late 2006, they were playing in the TAC Cup in 2009.

Back