iPhone v Android - Upgrading Phone

Remove this Banner Ad

I currently have an iPhone 5c on contract that is up for renewal.

Overall I'm happy with iPhone (apart from the rubbish battery life).

What phone should I upgrade to?

I use my phone mainly for calls, texts, Internet, FB & Twitter.

I don't currently use a huge amount of aps or have music or videos that I'd be disappointed to lose.

Just wondering your thoughts if I may please?

If you're not using a lot of apps, don't take a lot of photos and don't really care about switching to android then I'd get the 5x. Excellent phone for the sub $500 market. New Samsung S7 will be announced in a few weeks so you can wait and see how much that is.

Otherwise just stick with the iPhone. You'd be up and running on your new phone in the blink of an eye and you know your going to get top notch support from Apple.

I switched to Android 2 years ago and would never go back.
Get the LG G4, best Android on the market. Is very cheap at the moment as a new LG model is out in a few months.

I'm not sure how they've reviewed, but we had a HTC Desire 626 come through work recently and it's actually not too bad (from what little I've seen of it), particularly when you can get them for $200.

Otherwise wait till the S7/G5 come out and pick up the runout models.

I like the apps android phones have. Apple Store sucks and is very restrictive . I do love htc but the iPhone is so simple,easy, quick to use and is a perfect size

Thinking of getting the new Samsung. I've digitised my entire music collection and want to play the Hi Res files which I can't on iPhone. I've steered away from Android because i bought the first Galaxy years ago and the software was terrible.
Their new phones are good but Touchwiz remains a fairly 'heavy' skin from all reports. A Nexus, Motorola or LG device may suit you better. Even Sony. Very high-end and their version of Android isn't too annoying and they update as far as phones are capable.

Their new phones are good but Touchwiz remains a fairly 'heavy' skin from all reports. A Nexus, Motorola or LG device may suit you better. Even Sony. Very high-end and their version of Android isn't too annoying and they update as far as phones are capable.

A crap stock launcher shouldn't really hold anyone back from buying an Android device considering how easy they are to replace, it's like not buying one because the stock wallpaper/ringtones suck.

It looks like Samsung have picked up their game again and seem to be the one to beat. I want to like the LG but the big selling point of the G5 (Magic Slot) relies too heavily on LG and 3rd parties to keep expanding on the feature, the phone will have to do VERY well for that to happen and I'm not sure they're in the position to topple Apple/Samsung in that department.

A crap stock launcher shouldn't really hold anyone back from buying an Android device considering how easy they are to replace, it's like not buying one because the stock wallpaper/ringtones suck.

It looks like Samsung have picked up their game again and seem to be the one to beat. I want to like the LG but the big selling point of the G5 (Magic Slot) relies too heavily on LG and 3rd parties to keep expanding on the feature, the phone will have to do VERY well for that to happen and I'm not sure they're in the position to topple Apple/Samsung in that department.

This could be the year that Xiami makes a big move, sort of like HTC made 3-4 years ago. Mi5 looks like a very nice phone.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/02/xiaomis-new-mi5-is-an-incredibly-cheap-flagship-smartphone/

Top end specs at hopefully a reasonable price (top model is equivalent of $575AU). Downside would be most stock would be grey imports.

This could be the year that Xiami makes a big move, sort of like HTC made 3-4 years ago. Mi5 looks like a very nice phone.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/02/xiaomis-new-mi5-is-an-incredibly-cheap-flagship-smartphone/

Top end specs at hopefully a reasonable price (top model is equivalent of $575AU). Downside would be most stock would be grey imports.

Yeah I've been reading about that one since they announced it yesterday, the Pro version sounds very cool, the only issue with those kinds of brands is build quality.

On the subject of HTC, looks like the M10 is going to be a bit of a change from the previous version.
gsmarena_001.jpg

It's still a while off though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which phones have a HDMI input? Would be handy with AFL Live pass app being able to play it on the TV for games i cant get without having foxtel.

Dont even need HDMI output most of the time. If you have a modern TV with some sort of screen mirroring or have a chromecast that solves your issues.

I have tried screen mirroring the AFL Live pass to a few TV's. It does the job but the quality isnt great and I have found some Audio-video lag. I prefer to watch it on my Tab S. Looks pretty good on the 10.5 inch screen.

I reckon I'll cash in my Telstra new phone feeling for a black S7 tomorrow (I'd love a silver one but they seem pretty shiny), I was hoping some comprehensive reviews would come out before I had to pre-order but I reckon I'll just go for it. The Edge is too big, and I'd hate to have to replace that screen.

I reckon I'll cash in my Telstra new phone feeling for a black S7 tomorrow (I'd love a silver one but they seem pretty shiny), I was hoping some comprehensive reviews would come out before I had to pre-order but I reckon I'll just go for it. The Edge is too big, and I'd hate to have to replace that screen.

The edge is very close in size aand weight. Although it's half an inch bigger in screen size, thats mainly due to the 2 edges. Also screen to body ratio is higher.

S7 edge
Dimensions150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm (5.94 x 2.86 x 0.30 in)
Weight157 g (5.54 oz)

S7
Dimensions142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm (5.61 x 2.74 x 0.31 in)
Weight152 g (5.36 oz)

The edge is very close in size aand weight. Although it's half an inch bigger in screen size, thats mainly due to the 2 edges. Also screen to body ratio is higher.

S7 edge
Dimensions150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm (5.94 x 2.86 x 0.30 in)
Weight157 g (5.54 oz)

S7
Dimensions142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm (5.61 x 2.74 x 0.31 in)
Weight152 g (5.36 oz)

Yeah I know, I did the size comparison here. I've played with the Notes before and they are too big, even my old Z3 (which I put in the comparison) is a little bigger than I'd like, especially once I put a case on it. Plus if I do happen to smash it, those Edge screens are pretty pricey.

Decision made, I'm getting the S7 Edge.

I was almost going to get the S6 Edge but decided on the standard S6 because of the expensive screen protectors and how difficult it is to the hold the phone by the sides of the device. Definitely a type of phone that is made for a specific kind of user.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back