IPL 2021 & 2022

Looks like Stoinis has injured himself bowling again. Pulled up very lame one ball into his second over and left the field

Meh Marsh is a better t20 option and we need an extra spinner anyway

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Delhi v Hyderabad tonight. Anyone else excited by the return of the IPL?
I really try to get excited by the IPL (hence I started this thread in the first place) and I understand it's probably the highest standard of T20 cricket but I just can't. Top level cricket is international cricket for me and the destruction to it that this competition does I can't reconcile in my mind.

I'm much more excited for the T20 World Cup but I'm well aware I'm very much in the minority for that and fighting a losing battle.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
I really try to get excited by the IPL (hence I started this thread in the first place) and I understand it's probably the highest standard of T20 cricket but I just can't. Top level cricket is international cricket for me and the destruction to it that this competition does I can't reconcile in my mind.

I'm much more excited for the T20 World Cup but I'm well aware I'm very much in the minority for that and fighting a losing battle.
Nothing beats Test cricket.

I agree with Michael Vaughan who posted this :

1632352722926.png

Money talks unfortunately .........and to me it was a shame that the Test in Manchester had to get cancelled.

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond

Nothing beats Test cricket.

I agree with Michael Vaughan who posted this :

View attachment 1243736

Money talks unfortunately .........and to me it was a shame that the Test in Manchester had to get cancelled.
IPL is a great way for somebody to get into cricket. Yes, I prefer watching tests now but it was the more accessible IPL that got me into the sport in the first place.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
IPL is a great way for somebody to get into cricket. Yes, I prefer watching tests now but it was the more accessible IPL that got me into the sport in the first place.
Good on you. If T20 cricket , is a way to introduce and build a cricket crowd, which I am sure it has done- think that's a great thing.

Think the talk of getting cricket to the Olympics to build it further, would be an even greater pull in future.

Im assuming your based in Canada? Do know that cricket now is very much a more global game and T20 has been a big part of that revolution.

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
Good on you. If T20 cricket , is a way to introduce and build a cricket crowd, which I am sure it has done- think that's a great thing.

Think the talk of getting cricket to the Olympics to build it further, would be an even greater pull in future.

Im assuming your based in Canada? Do know that cricket now is very much a more global game and T20 has been a big part of that revolution.
It used to be my dream to visit Australia to see AFL at the MGC, but recently I've been considering a summer visit to watch a test match instead.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
It used to be my dream to visit Australia to see AFL at the MGC, but recently I've been considering a summer visit to watch a test match instead.
In traditional cricket nations, I do feel the pecking order is Test cricket > ODI >T20

But in emerging cricket nations, I'd imagine the pecking order is T20 > Test Cricket > ODI

In terms of money, there is more money in T20 cricket, without a doubt.

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
In traditional cricket nations, I do feel the pecking order is Test cricket > ODI >T20

But in emerging cricket nations, I'd imagine the pecking order is T20 > Test Cricket > ODI

In terms of money, there is more money in T20 cricket, without a doubt.
It’s impossible for most countries to participate in test cricket. The only way it could be more open for countries is if they did away with series and just had 1 test match per tour. The ICC should be using the T20 World Cup as a showcase.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
RCB paying Kyle Jamieson the money they did based off his Test form is looking more and more bizarre. He should be going nowhere near NZs World Cup side.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
CSK win a final-ball thriller. Jadeja was clutch with 20 off 4 balls in the penultimate over. Narine took 2 wickets in the last, but it wasn't enough for KKR.

It was nuts, the hitting came out of nowhere then Narine nearly won it for KKR. Great finish but shame about the lack of crowds. It might be worse for the WC, since most people would be of Indian background attending the matches. Hardik Pandya back for MI but didn't bowl which is odd.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
RCB paying Kyle Jamieson the money they did based off his Test form is looking more and more bizarre. He should be going nowhere near NZs World Cup side.

It's absurd how performances around the time of IPL auction can influence a players price. If the era of statistical analysis etc, surely IPL teams would be smarter with their auction bids.

konkani

Cancelled
Jan 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
It's absurd how performances around the time of IPL auction can influence a players price. If the era of statistical analysis etc, surely IPL teams would be smarter with their auction bids.

It depends on the franchise. KKR have taken data analytics to a new level and employed an IT company to help them write programs they use throughout the auctions to determine how they bid - from memory the algorithms have heaps of variables that adjust to various dynamics at the auction - apparently they will set numbers and stuff that they are not willing to go above for a player, unless its for specific reasons they have predetermined.

Other franchises like RCB seem to rely too much on celebrity culture and famously get it wrong again and again, almost taking the mickey out of how unscientific they have been with it (in the past anyway).
Some Bollywood / billionaire franchise owners also take to meddling behind the scenes and will throw everything at getting a particular captain and trying to build a team around them (which apparently is a poor strategy)

Tim Wigmore (from winviz i'm pretty sure ) wrote a book i read about it and the excerpt title below was one of the chapters in it.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
It depends on the franchise. KKR have taken data analytics to a new level and employed an IT company to help them write programs they use throughout the auctions to determine how they bid - from memory the algorithms have heaps of variables that adjust to various dynamics at the auction - apparently they will set numbers and stuff that they are not willing to go above for a player, unless its for specific reasons they have predetermined.

Other franchises like RCB seem to rely too much on celebrity culture and famously get it wrong again and again, almost taking the mickey out of how unscientific they have been with it (in the past anyway).
Some Bollywood / billionaire franchise owners also take to meddling behind the scenes and will throw everything at getting a particular captain and trying to build a team around them (which apparently is a poor strategy)

Tim Wigmore (from winviz i'm pretty sure ) wrote a book i read about it and the excerpt title below was one of the chapters in it.

Yea, it's just crazy to me how not all teams take the analytical approach for this league and format. Massive egos involved so I guess there will always be personal bias/meddling in the auction.

Back