IPL Auction 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Stokes T20 bowling, 36 Avg, 8.60 Economy. Batting 22 avg at 130 SR.

What am I missing here :huh:. His recent form must be absolutely epic, can't say I've paid enough attention
Massive hitter and also just played well in recent series to India

His bowling will get carved

Well technically they get paid on how many games they are available for not for how many they play, if you're available but not picked you still get paid. Although Stokes will presumably play every game he is available for so its much of a muchness for him.

Wouldn't it have been better to get 2 players then- Abbott and then buy a batsman.

Abbott is a handy hitter
Maybe so, but Stokes is hardly a bad player. I expect him to do well. Plus, you only get four internationals, so why pick up Abbott and another when you can get Stokes which will do both their jobs for one position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe so, but Stokes is hardly a bad player. I expect him to do well. Plus, you only get four internationals, so why pick up Abbott and another when you can get Stokes which will do both their jobs for one position.

Pick up two players that are there the entire tournament. Paying over the odds for one player that won't be there the whole time..

They already have enough batsmen. They have Faf, Smith, Khawaja, MSD, Rahane and Mitch and local players. What they needed was, a bowler. They don't have any decent bowlers apart from Ashwin and Zampa. Now that they have Stokes, I don't think Mitch will get a chance to play. Their 4 overseas players probably will be Stokes, Smith, Faf, Khawaja.

On a positive note, they don't need to worry about Stokes not available for Playoffs as they won't be qualifying.

Is there a genuine reason why no Aussie tv broadcaster shows IPL? As someone whose internet struggles to stream it makes it such a pain to follow.

Loved the first few seasons on one. Surely Foxtel can pick it up given how big it is.

Is there a genuine reason why no Aussie tv broadcaster shows IPL? As someone whose internet struggles to stream it makes it such a pain to follow.

Loved the first few seasons on one. Surely Foxtel can pick it up given how big it is.
Yes, simply because it wouldn't rate high enough.

The middle of the night games don't help. The main problem is people aren't interested here. The main viewers would be Indians and a few local fanatics.

Cost seems to be the reason. Star India hold the international rights for the IPL and ICC events and are apparently asking our broadcasters too much.
Similar situation occurred last year for the World T20 and will probably happen again for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy.

Of course, every other cricket playing country will see live IPL coverage, including New Zealand at 2am.

Last edited:

The middle of the night games don't help. The main problem is people aren't interested here. The main viewers would be Indians and a few local fanatics.
The early games start at 8:30pm and the late games start at 12:30pm Melbourne time. That's not that late.

But I do agree with the numbers, as mostly Indians would watch. However, there's no harm trying it out now and see if it got a following. It worked for the BBL.

I'd imagine that the huge Indian population would be all over it and would sign up just for IPL. I know that one of the Indian's at my work got a special satellite installed at his joint just for IPL. Cost him an arm and a leg.

I'd imagine that the huge Indian population would be all over it and would sign up just for IPL. I know that one of the Indian's at my work got a special satellite installed at his joint just for IPL. Cost him an arm and a leg.

Just stream it.

It wouldn't rate anyway in the middle of footy season.

Just stream it.

It wouldn't rate anyway in the middle of footy season.
I can't stream where I live, my internet is pathetic, what makes it even more pathetic is I live less than an hour from Melbourne.

I can't stream where I live, my internet is pathetic, what makes it even more pathetic is I live less than an hour from Melbourne.

Get a personal wi fi then. It just wouldn't rate. There is not enough Australians to make it worthwhile for networks.

The young Indian men (who are that target market you speak of) are smart enough to stream games online rather than pay a large monthly fee for Foxtel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back