Ipswich Cats Seniors: Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

SilvaComet

All Australian
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Disclaimer: I'm at least somewhat biased towards the cats, playing juniors for them for the last 5 years.

With the 2016 Cats team in the QAFA B Central league getting demolished every week, winning only one game against Yeronga, why did they bother having a team?

Half of the boys are over 35 and playing in the Masters league, 10 people at most turn up to training, and they don't have any juniors coming through.

The solution, fold the team until their current under 15's team (oldest junior side) is old enough to play seniors.

From memory, the game against Yerona was the seniors' first ever win since they started their side a couple of years ago, and I think age is a big part of that.

What do you think?

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
No idea.

Numbers weren't an issue, just lack of interest. I think they thought it was going to be much easier than it was, then they copped a few hidings early in the season and people lost interest. There were a few handy players in that side, and I guess they just assumed it would be a bit of a procession to a 3rds flag, then they got touched up by Sandgate, Woodsmen and UQ in Rounds 2-4 and it all fell apart.

Realtalkz

Senior List
Jul 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No idea.

Numbers weren't an issue, just lack of interest. I think they thought it was going to be much easier than it was, then they copped a few hidings early in the season and people lost interest. There were a few handy players in that side, and I guess they just assumed it would be a bit of a procession to a 3rds flag, then they got touched up by Sandgate, Woodsmen and UQ in Rounds 2-4 and it all fell apart.

So lack of interest created a numbers problem. 2 forfeits and plenty of weeks with under 22 players.. that is what a numbers issue is.

Billyclub

Debutant
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good friendly club the Cats. Best bacon and egg burgers on the planet! Juniors always struggle but volenteers keep on pluggin away. Seniors are a great bunch of blokes. Hope the club (juniors and seniors) is doing ok now?

think they are struggling in both jnr and senior footy these days, which is a shame

It’s funny that the Eagles started as RAAF at Amberley then moved to Limestone and then the Cats started near where the Eagles were.

Cats have been around 40+ years haven't they?

I think I worded my prev post wrong

Since 1960’s it first started as a young adult club as I understand it after under 14’s had no where to go so an adult team was started.
Around 1990’s the club was falling apart so i believe the seniors ceased. Those who still wanted to play joined the RAAF who moved to Limestone Park and changed their name to Ipswich Eagles.

The Ipswich Cats seniors only restarted around 2015??

Ipswich Cats played at a different oval before Ivor also.

Billyclub

Debutant
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Ideal situation for the 2 Ipswich clubs would be to merge ASAP. Both have u12s. Both have kids older on the peripheral which may form to make a stand alone team, but at present neither play. Time for the angst should be gone. Once it was the Cats that had all juniors and no senior mens side. The Eagles had no juniors but 2 mens sides. They should have merged 10 years ago, put all their resources into recruitment. Had that have happened, they would have div1 kids sides, and perhaps a QFA1 and reserves side. Many, many good kids went east to bigger clubs for opportunity instead. Time for one club to approach the other.

I know the Cats arent happy with the move to amberley. They arent 'visible' anymore for recruitment like they were at Limestone park. Eagles are. Both have great club members. Perhaps its club names (Eagles or Cats?) is a stumbling block? Surely something could be worked out? A 'Griffin' (Harry Potter) is a cross between a Lion (cat) and an Eagle. Anyway, for the good of footy in Ipswich, i think its best not for one club wait for the other to die before offering an olive branch. Would be a great day when these to great clubs ally.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back