Politics Ireland - a model for the Australian Republic

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you have a Yes/No vote if you put up all the models for vote?

So really what you need to do is first have a referendum to change the referendum rules in the Constitution to allow multiple choice. But do you go for first past the post? Do you need a minimum 50%? If 17 models are put up, is 8% of the vote sufficient to change? Do you allow preferences?

generate two new constitutions for a A vs B vote

then a run off vote 6 months later for the winner of A & B against the current constitution

How do you have a Yes/No vote if you put up all the models for vote?

As previously said you put up the vote to be "do you want an Australian head of state."
If yes then we vote on what model.

So really what you need to do is first have a referendum to change the referendum rules in the Constitution to allow multiple choice. But do you go for first past the post? Do you need a minimum 50%? If 17 models are put up, is 8% of the vote sufficient to change? Do you allow preferences?

Not at all. This isnt difficult.

1st vote. Yes or no on an australian head of state.

2nd vote. Which model.

Not hard at all. I would say that there would probably be 2 put up. Direct election or as is(but with no crawling to the Queen or King for permission)

Until thats decided the country stays the same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As long as you can have like a diary room or something, so that A & B get to air their dirty laundry. People love that stuff.

Alternatively, WA could secede and become a republic. Then proceed to unite the continent by buying the peasants states with an offer to share our GST.

Of course the capital would have to shift from Canberra to Kalgoorlie. That'll test who really wants to be in politics.

As previously said you put up the vote to be "do you want an Australian head of state."
If yes then we vote on what model.

Not at all. This isnt difficult.

1st vote. Yes or no on an australian head of state.

2nd vote. Which model.

Not hard at all. I would say that there would probably be 2 put up. Direct election or as is(but with no crawling to the Queen or King for permission)

Until thats decided the country stays the same.

so having an aussie head of state is more important than the legal framework and the powers of the state?

so having an aussie head of state is more important than the legal framework and the powers of the state?
Not at all. Both will be voted on.

But no point going down that path until we decide wether we want one or not.

Until the process is complete then we the country os run the same as it has.

Its a good time to change the constitution while writing a new one for the Republic.

we'd need three or four high courts if we go down that path

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should petition Britain to send Harry and his future wife Megan Markle over to be our king and queen. Their descendants could be the line of monarchs for generations.

This would break the brains of so many people it would be worth it.
This idea is coming closer to fruition.

Stability. Decent correlation between monarchy and continued democracy.

To put it in Ye Olden tems (via Monty Python), “Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses”.

Its the perception of a mandate I’m worried about. Not because I think it’ll erode the conventions mentioned in thr thread, but for all the opposite reasons, and because the person involved is really only a symbolic figurehead. I just think the symbolism is all wrong.

Granted I’m fully aware I’m swimming against the tide, but I’d prefer to scrap the role completely and recognise the Prime Minister of the day as our country’s leader.

And with the amount of editing it takes to remove Queen, Crown nad Governor General from our constitutions, State and Federal, a few extra edits to excise those reserve powers wouldn’t be the dumbest thing a country as a whole had ever done.

But the palace did support the coup?

Meh the only lot who have sent in the armed forces are the ALP ie pilots strike and Chifley re coal strike.

1975 shows the current system to work well, of course the usual rabid element still havent overcome it, just as they pine for the days of the USSR and the cold war. Really no need to pay any attention to the views of such people.

Meh the only lot who have sent in the armed forces are the ALP ie pilots strike and Chifley re coal strike.

are you sure?

Kerr’s recently released papers show he was seeking advice on using the “reserve powers” to dismiss Whitlam long before was previously revealed.

This included consultations with Prince Charles, the Queen, and the Queen’s private secretary, Martin Charteris.

The Palace offered to delay Kerr’s recall to help the governor-general sack Whitlam before Whitlam could sack him.

The Palace didn’t counsel Kerr to consult with Whitlam, nor did it contact Whitlam. Kerr took this as a green light.....

While I deplored the actions of Fraser and Kerr, I have to admit appreciating the nuanced vagaries that come from a system based on convention rather than rules. Tactical silence, measured delays and a reliance on the ‘vibe’ are in times of crisis useful things.

Kerr was still a vain and erroneous dog, but the mechanations around him were handled well.,,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back