Ireland tour of India vs Afghanistan (1 Test, 5 ODIs, 3 T20Is)

Remove this Banner Ad

The newest full members of the ICC will be facing each other once more over the next few weeks, starting with the T20s and building up from there.

After Ireland's good showing in the T20I quadrangular a few days ago, they'll be feeling okay about their chances against a team that has been doing well at T20 cricket for many years now. For whatever reason, Ireland has always been a poor T20 team by comparison. Afghanistan has won the first match of the series by 5 wickets with 4 balls remaining, chasing down 133, with Nabi and Rashid putting the squeeze on in the middle overs.

21st Feb - T20I - Afghanistan won by 5 wickets
23rd Feb - T20I
24th Feb - T20I
28th Feb - ODI
2nd Mar - ODI
5th Mar - ODI
8th Mar - ODI
10th Mar - ODI
15th Mar - Test

The newest full members of the ICC will be facing each other once more over the next few weeks, starting with the T20s and building up from there.

After Ireland's good showing in the T20I quadrangular a few days ago, they'll be feeling okay about their chances against a team that has been doing well at T20 cricket for many years now. For whatever reason, Ireland has always been a poor T20 team by comparison. Afghanistan has won the first match of the series by 5 wickets with 4 balls remaining, chasing down 133, with Nabi and Rashid putting the squeeze on in the middle overs.

21st Feb - T20I - Afghanistan won by 5 wickets
23rd Feb - T20I
24th Feb - T20I
28th Feb - ODI
2nd Mar - ODI
5th Mar - ODI
8th Mar - ODI
10th Mar - ODI
15th Mar - Test
Was trying to find a stream of this last night. Cricket Ireland had a dead link when I checked, anyone else have any luck?

278... that's just nuts. I have not yet seen Zazai yet, but daresay that knock will get him in the door at various T20 leagues (though do see he is already at the BPL).

Stirling pretty beastly in response, has been a gun for a long time. Says something that they can be 0/126 in the 11th over and still miles behind the rate!

Ireland well in their chase of Afghanistan's target of 211 with a score of 128/1 after 13 overs.

Rashid Khan casually rocks up and gets a hatrick, finishing with figures of 5/27 after 4 overs.

With Mujeeb beginning his opening spell with two maidens in the first ODI, the thought came to me again that it really is amazing how much Afghan bowling has changed in the four years since the World Cup.

Back then they had an all pace attack of Hamid Hassan, Mirwais Ashraf, Shapoor Zadran, Dawlat Zadran and Aftab Alam, with the latter three swapping around. Mohammad Nabi and Samiullah Shenwari (along with Javed Ahmadi) were the all-rounder providing spin.

Now, the backbone of their team is spin, and they have so many going around that a guy like Amir Hamza, who was their new ball spinner before Mujeeb, barely gets to play these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James McCollum - golden duck on debut. Just got a beauty from Mujeeb. Thought Balbirnie's LBW was a bit dodge, though.

Livestream here for those interested:

It's being promoted via the Cricket Ireland Facebook page, so I imagine it's legit.

With Mujeeb beginning his opening spell with two maidens in the first ODI, the thought came to me again that it really is amazing how much Afghan bowling has changed in the four years since the World Cup.

Back then they had an all pace attack of Hamid Hassan, Mirwais Ashraf, Shapoor Zadran, Dawlat Zadran and Aftab Alam, with the latter three swapping around. Mohammad Nabi and Samiullah Shenwari (along with Javed Ahmadi) were the all-rounder providing spin.

Now, the backbone of their team is spin, and they have so many going around that a guy like Amir Hamza, who was their new ball spinner before Mujeeb, barely gets to play these days.

Even Qais Ahmad can't even get a look in! I think there's definitely enough room there for another pace bowler as opposed to playing a bits and pieces allrounder like Gulbadin Naib, it would be a dream if Hamid Hassan could somehow make it back - as it stands, I don't know his current injury status.

Meanwhile, I'm somewhat surprised at how disinterested Ireland have been in producing runs. Not much intent there.

Even Qais Ahmad can't even get a look in! I think there's definitely enough room there for another pace bowler as opposed to playing a bits and pieces allrounder like Gulbadin Naib, it would be a dream if Hamid Hassan could somehow make it back - as it stands, I don't know his current injury status.

Meanwhile, I'm somewhat surprised at how disinterested Ireland have been in producing runs. Not much intent there.

I think they were just waiting for Gulbadin

While I haven't watched today, I would summise that's the effect of the aura which surrounds Rashid and Mujeeb at present. You see it in the BBL too. Just completely changes the mindset of a batsman to be negative facing them which isn't easy to just flick on and off if the bowler at the other end is doing a good job.

Funny old run chase, this one. Naib going at 9 from 40 then decided to wake up.

Broadcasters not afraid to show the major sponsors' logo.

For the life of me I cannot understand how Ashgar Afghan is in Afghanistan's best 11, let alone the captain. The only plausible answer is internal politics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back