Bumped Irish Experiment over?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The more I think about this...the more I think that when recruiting Irish players, try & bring in 2 at once (normally always room in Cat B).
This may help them settle in faster, not get lonely or as homesick.
Working training hard together, assisting one another etc
Collingwood Mission for 2016...find 2 talented Irishman, 1 small/medium with pace/ball skills & 1 tall, solid with good hands, to develop into KPP.
Problem solved.

I've got an Irish mate and from experience they'll turn up to the opening of an envelop if there's a drink involved. His bucks party in Melbourne they flew in from all over the country and over 1/2 of them didn't even know Will. I think they'll manage to find Irish networks okay without stacking the list with them.

Well I have bumped this thread for 2 reasons:
1. The question is still relevant, it's now been 6 years since we recruited an Irish player...
2. I like bumping my old threads.

We seem to have definitely moved away from recruiting Irish talent.
6 years & not a one.
We must have been burnt badly...?? Is it Hine, Bucks, Pert ??
Haven't found the 'right' fit?
Time to have another crack.
Let's go Irish again.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
1. The question is still relevant, it's now been 6 years since we recruited an Irish player...

6 years & not a one.
Let's go Irish again.
I wonder if he has something to do with less recruiters on the books? Or simply it might be failing with Dyas and Mooney? I would be all for having a look at another Irish lad. Connor McKenna has been excellent for Essendon, we could do with someone like him running out of the backline.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

6 years & not a one.
Let's go Irish again.
Really?

I reckon we should focus on local talent, first & foremost.

Really?

I reckon we should focus on local talent, first & foremost.
You mean CatB local talent?

Personally I think we should be looking at whoever is a CatB talent, doesn't matter where they come from.

All recruiting takes resources, CatB I look at for sides that have their own backyard all sorted, and are looking to add something for nothing so to speak.
But CatB recruiting is by definition looking outside the square.

So recruiting resources will be used outside the norm anyway.

I really don't get your point, if your backyard isn't sorted you shouldn't look elsewhere to fix your backyard?

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
But CatB recruiting is by definition looking outside the square.

So recruiting resources will be used outside the norm anyway.

I really don't get your point, if your backyard isn't sorted you shouldn't look elsewhere to fix your backyard?
My point was based on resources, international scouts etc. that all comes under Football Department spend.

My point was based on resources, international scouts etc. that all comes under Football Department spend.
So a plane fare is too much for our FD?

Every other cost would be the same, wouldn't it?

I couldn't debate ins/outs of $$$ required when going through the process of recruiting an international rookie, not really sure.
Which makes me think your two points, why don't we give it to a local & it's an impost on the FD don't have much basis.

Which brings me back to just get the best CatB we can.

FD tax is another convo.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which makes me think your two points, why don't we give it to a local & it's an impost on the FD don't have much basis.

Which brings me back to just get the best CatB we can.

FD tax is another convo.
How does that affect my points? I think they're totally relevant.

I'm not going to debate specific costs, because i'm not fully aware of them.

How does that affect my points? I think they're totally relevant.

I'm not going to debate specific costs, because i'm not fully aware of them.

Isn't this the heart of your point?

Don't get an Irishman because it costs too much?

Get an Aussie coz if he comes from a background of Soccer or Tiddlywinks, he "deserves" it more & scouting for these blokes is cheaper?

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Isn't this the heart of your point?

Don't get an Irishman because it costs too much?

Get an Aussie coz if he comes from a background of Soccer or Tiddlywinks, he "deserves" it more & scouting for these blokes is cheaper?
My point is I believe every financial resource we have should be going into developing the products we have/will have via the National Draft.

Theres no need to look for project players at the moment.

My point is I believe every financial resource we have should be going into developing the products we have/will have via the National Draft.

Theres no need to look for project players at the moment.
So don't bother with the rookie draft?

Forgo a Stynes, Touhy, Cox, Kenally, just put extra resources into our basic list?

I don't get "no need" to look at project players. If you get a good player of the CatB it gives more flexibility to look/draft/trade elsewhere.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So don't bother with the rookie draft?

Forgo a Stynes, Touhy, Cox, Kenally, just put extra resources into our basic list?

I don't get "no need" to look at project players. If you get a good player of the CatB it gives more flexibility to look/draft/trade elsewhere.
Most Rookies come through the same TAC/VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc. that all National Draftees follow.

Anyway, if it's relatively cheap (resource wise), go nuts.

But we need to focus on the basics right now, IMO.

Back