• Hindu

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Buddhist

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 17 8.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The US have the best universities so the ratio doesn't surprise me.

So you're trying to make the point that the best scientists are Atheists, good on you. :rolleyes: Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt on those stats it doesn't change anything. Crazy hypothesis are laughed at by the majority scientific community until they're proven true.

“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.” - Einstein :)
Not at all.
Not sure where you get that idea. I was commenting on several different polls taken, comparing them to each other and the varied results.

I'm not sure there has ever been an accurate poll of atheism or agnosticism done on a sufficiently large scale world wide to make any sweeping statement other than that the numbers are increasing.

I have always been of the belief that science and religion are different things, not like and certainly not at war.
The religious a some times quick to pit one against the other.

Once you get into the realm of creationism, the lines between what is and is not religion and what is propaganda becomes blurred.

Creationism is at war with science to the extent that it must be to exist.

'Time' came into existence?....LOL.

From what I've read it's more accurate to say that there was a first moment in time, because something coming into existence suggests time before that. I was speaking conversationally when I said it came into existence.

From what I've read it's more accurate to say that there was a first moment in time, because something coming into existence suggests time before that. I was speaking conversationally when I said it came into existence.

But if the universe has always existed & is infinite?....Wherefore out thou time Romeo?

Nope....You cannot get sumfin from nufin....try again.

Not necessarily. You might be able to get a universe from nothing. Or maybe nothing never existed. We're talking about something that is at, or beyond the limits of our understanding, and trying to tackle it with common sense based on everyday life won't work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily. You might be able to get a universe from nothing. Or maybe nothing never existed. We're talking about something that is at, or beyond the limits of our understanding, and trying to tackle it with common sense based on everyday life won't work.

LOL....That's all we've got as a reference you silly....next.

LOL....That's all we've got as a reference you silly....next.

That's fine as long as you know that reference doesn't necessarily apply to the universe or even other areas of space. Certainly on Planet Earth though it appears that something comes from something else. The theories you're talking about are figured out mathematically and scientifically, not with intuition based on our terran experience.

The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity. [Carl Sagan]

Time is a human measurement.
You need to read more.
Time is relative, humans can measure time relative to their place in space and time.
That does not mean they invented time.
You're thinking of time as a length.....

"Time didn’t begin fifteen billion years ago. Because it never started in the first place. It was motion that started in the first place. And it was fifteen billion light-years ago.
Motion is a change of place in space. We measure this by comparing it with some other motion, and use the term "time" in our measuring. It's a measure, so by definition it's a dimension in the proper sense. But that only makes it a parameter, not a spatial, linear dimension that we can move along. So why do we say how long when we're thinking about time? We imagine a length of time. We imagine that we travel along this imaginary length at a speed of one second per second. When you "get" time, you realise just how ridiculous this is. We don't travel anywhere in time. Our atoms and everything else are in motion, but there's no travelling through the measure of this motion. To travel backwards in time we'd need negative motion. Motion is motion whichever way it goes. You can’t have negative motion. "
http://www.sciforums.com/threads/time-explained.59521/

That's fine as long as you know that reference doesn't necessarily apply to the universe or even other areas of space. Certainly on Planet Earth though it appears that something comes from something else. The theories you're talking about are figured out mathematically and scientifically, not with intuition based on our terran experience.

Oh Podgey....Science & maths are tools of human conception....Do try & keep up.

Oh Podgey....Science & maths are tools of human conception....Do try & keep up.

Nowhere in this conversation have I said that humans didn't conceive of these theories. I'm trying to point out that it's not done on the basis of applying our local reality to the rest of the universe.

Back