Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all? How is using a treadmill for one of it's designed uses selfish? Do you want time limits on them? You specified walking, if I was running for an hour would it be different? What about the people who are beginning? The extreme overweight or elderly, is it bad if they walk for an hour as a start?

I superset bent over barbell row, with bent over dumbbell row. 3-4 sets superset, with a 45 second rest. I do the same on db bench with flyes. Lat pulldown with two different grips. It takes me around 5 minutes per exercise (for the 3-4 sets). Is that really "tieing up machines for long periods of time"? Do you get pissy at low reps, high sets with long rest too?

It sounds like you're only concerned with yourself and how you train, and you think that anyone who doesn't train in your criteria is selfish.

I worked in a gym for 18 months, never once had someone complain about people using treadmills for too long or people supersetting on one piece of equipment. Only s**t we got was trainers taking up large areas of equipment, or supersetting with 3 things on opposite sides of the gym (which isn't a superset, if it takes you 30 seconds to walk to your next piece of equipment it's a new set)

Take the scenario that you have 5 treadmills in your gym and some mother of three comes in, has an hour of free time and you and 4 of your hour trainers are on the treadmill. This woman misses out altogether.

Running or walking makes no difference I guess. Just not too many people who run for an hour on a treadmill.

The fact you "called bullshit" and got aggressive about defending yourself indicates that you would be the sort to get aggressive if someone asked if they could work in with your sets etc. but I don't know you so I'm not gonna judge.

Point is, it's really easy to not consider other people if no one is specifically asking for something, considering others when they aren't in your face (ala my above scenario) is harder.

Like i said do whatever you want but if the gym is busy and you being on the treddy for an hour might mean someone else misses out I think that's selfish.

love your rants here!! :D

just wanted to clear something up... bolded but. if you lost the plot im picturing you speaking harshly to the patron, or getting physical and going nuts. but you said you kept quiet. if you literally lost the plot, i doubt keeping quiet is a property of that action
I imagine losing the plot but keeping quiet like swallowing a burp or the ending of Total Recall

Take the scenario that you have 5 treadmills in your gym and some mother of three comes in, has an hour of free time and you and 4 of your hour trainers are on the treadmill. This woman misses out altogether.

Running or walking makes no difference I guess. Just not too many people who run for an hour on a treadmill.

The fact you "called bullshit" and got aggressive about defending yourself indicates that you would be the sort to get aggressive if someone asked if they could work in with your sets etc. but I don't know you so I'm not gonna judge.

Point is, it's really easy to not consider other people if no one is specifically asking for something, considering others when they aren't in your face (ala my above scenario) is harder.

Like i said do whatever you want but if the gym is busy and you being on the treddy for an hour might mean someone else misses out I think that's selfish.
What would the difference be if I was on for 15 minutes? Are you saying she would wait 15 minutes for a treadmill when she only had an hour free? What is the limit? She had an hour free, and misses out on training because I'm on it, so she wants to use it for an hour too? The fact that you'd need me to be training for an hour, with 4 friends using the exact same equipment (I only ever cardio train with my GF, to keep her motivated) shows Your point is non existent. You needed to create a hypothetical, involving other people for it to even be considered. I think you just want to take some high ground that isn't there.

Lol. You literally made a judgement about how you feel I am in gym, then followed by saying you won't judge

I let people work in, and I'll ask to work in if I'm doing something someone else is. 99% are okay with it. I'm okay when people work in 99% of the time. The only time I care is if they

Gym ettiquette is simple. Your points aren't gym ettiquette, they're strange conditions you want to put on people and claim its selfless

Further to above just cause someone isn't complaining doesn't mean they are not missing out. Not everyone is as vocal as you clearly are.
i was a trainer and dealt with a lot of complaints at the gym. There was never one tht fit your above
Just "cause" you put conditions on others, doesn't make them actual pain points.

Just for your above, for every treadmill to be in use at my gym, I'd need to bring 21 friends to all do my hour with me

You're basically saying "don't do your training in peak times, even if that's your only available time, because other people might want to use that equipment for their training and it's their only available time"

She could do something else for 15 minutes then use it.

Again your inability to see the point is yours alone.

I said you seem like that guy, maybe your not, I don't know you at all.

Do whatever you want mate, IMO the actions you have described are selfish and have probably affected others without you even realizing. You're not alone in that.

You're basically saying "don't do your training in peak times, even if that's your only available time, because other people might want to use that equipment for their training and it's their only available time"

No... My point is be considerate of others during peak times because it's very easy to only think about yourself. Train at peak times sounds like it's the only time you can, just be aware of others.

No... My point is be considerate of others during peak times because it's very easy to only think about yourself. Train at peak times sounds like it's the only time you can, just be aware of others.
I'm aware of others. As I said, max time I'll use weights equipment is 5 minutes or so on superset days (I actually use it longer on my other days as I rest more between sets and go high weight)

We have 22 treadmills at my gym. Me and my gf do an hour on them, three days a week. She's new to the gym and isn't comfortable there alone

You to claim that either of the above is selfish, or preventing some poor mother from training is ludicrous

Could you not answer the questions posed? I want to understand your gym rules. What was the mother doing for the hour? How long could I be on the treadmill before it caused her not to be able to train?

You're basically saying to people it's selfish to use the gym, how it's meant to be used

She could do something else for 15 minutes then use it.

Again your inability to see the point is yours alone.

I said you seem like that guy, maybe your not, I don't know you at all.

Do whatever you want mate, IMO the actions you have described are selfish and have probably affected others without you even realizing. You're not alone in that.
so is 15 the limit? What about if it was half an hour? What length of time is not selfish?

How would it be a waste for her? She wouldn't know until the hour was up that I was going to be on it for the full hour. Would she go use something else for 15 minutes then leave because she couldn't get a treadmill? What else as she doing in that hour, since you're suggesting anything longer than 15 minutes is selfish. Or is she also selfish?

5 minutes on a piece of weights equipment and an hour on a treadmill is not selfish. My gym never has a full cardio area (except the steppers because there's only 3), so I'm unsure how I'm selfishly taking others equipment.

As I said, you want to act morally superior when you've got nothing

love your rants here!! :D

just wanted to clear something up... bolded but. if you lost the plot im picturing you speaking harshly to the patron, or getting physical and going nuts. but you said you kept quiet. if you literally lost the plot, i doubt keeping quiet is a property of that action

I didn't say anything. But I know if I needed to use that piece of equipment she would have made an issue. She was for the record using three pieces of equipment.

Yeh were derailing here. You think it's all good, I don't, it's all good mate. Chill out.
Not at all. You're saying me using a treadmill for an hour and supersetting is an irritating and selfish gym behaviour. I'm debating the point. It's entirely on topic

It's more likely and judging by the things you've said (gym rats, accused me of certain attitudes) I'm going to say you don't have logical responses to the discussion posed

As I said, you want to act morally superior when you've got nothing

I'm not acting nor do I believe I'm morally superior, demanding someone answer your questions has a real superiority complex to it.

We both believe different things are selfish at the gym. you took umbrage with what I posted and now have gone after it, which is fine but don't go dropping the superiority crap when I've never suggested I'm better than you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. You're saying me using a treadmill for an hour and supersetting is an irritating and selfish gym behaviour. I'm debating the point. It's entirely on topic

It's more likely and judging by the things you've said (gym rats, accused me of certain attitudes) I'm going to say you don't have logical responses to the discussion posed

Okay feel solid in your superior position then.

I'm not acting nor do I believe I'm morally superior, demanding someone answer your questions has a real superiority complex to it.

We both believe different things are selfish at the gym. you took umbrage with what I posted and now have gone after it, which is fine but don't go dropping the superiority crap when I've never suggested I'm better than you.
Calling people selfish is a negative moral point. Saying that others behaviour is selfish to you is giving yourself moral superiority

You can hold an opinion all you like. But without logic and reason behind it, it's worthless

Selfishness is dependent on context. You've shown that. You had to provide a hypothetical that doesn't exist to show how a behaviour may be selfish

But let's apply it to real life. I used 1 treadmill for an hour last night, my gf used 1 treadmill for an hour also. There was another 8 or 9 treadmills in use. Leaving around half the treadmills free. Explain how that was selfish.

Calling people selfish is a negative moral point. Saying that others behaviour is selfish to you is giving yourself moral superiority

You can hold an opinion all you like. But without logic and reason behind it, it's worthless

Selfishness is dependent on context. You've shown that. You had to provide a hypothetical that doesn't exist to show how a behaviour may be selfish

But let's apply it to real life. I used 1 treadmill for an hour last night, my gf used 1 treadmill for an hour also. There was another 8 or 9 treadmills in use. Leaving around half the treadmills free. Explain how that was selfish.

Dude, we're done. I didn't know you had 21 treadmills so clearly it's not, mine has 5, I was referring to my gym as you are referring to yours.

It is selfish to hog equipment, we're all in agreeance with that, through my lens, in my situation (which is what YOU responded to) your actions would be hogging equipment.

I sincerely apologize for the loose language "gym rats" it was a sweeping statement not directed at an anyone in particular, didn't think I'd get taken to task on it but here we are.

I have a scenario for context, mine, yours is different hence this is a pointless argument. The logic I have is that in my gym (and in yours if it was busy enough) your actions would prevent others from being able to work out, when you could compromise and go for a shorter time and not impact on people, expanding on that, you don't think you are impacting on people (and from the size of your gym you're probably right) but you don't know that for certain.

Again, do whatever the hell you want, if you did that at the gym I attend in peak hours it would impact others and be selfish.

Dude, we're done. I didn't know you had 21 treadmills so clearly it's not, mine has 5, I was referring to my gym as you are referring to yours.

It is selfish to hog equipment, we're all in agreeance with that, through my lens, in my situation (which is what YOU responded to) your actions would be hogging equipment.

I sincerely apologize for the loose language "gym rats" it was a sweeping statement not directed at an anyone in particular, didn't think I'd get taken to task on it but here we are.

I have a scenario for context, mine, yours is different hence this is a pointless argument. The logic I have is that in my gym (and in yours if it was busy enough) your actions would prevent others from being able to work out, when you could compromise and go for a shorter time and not impact on people, expanding on that, you don't think you are impacting on people (and from the size of your gym you're probably right) but you don't know that for certain.

Again, do whatever the hell you want, if you did that at the gym I attend in peak hours it would impact others and be selfish.
So basically it's all about context? And my actions aren't selfish because we are in completely different contexts? My gym doesn't get busy enough to have all the cardio equipment in use, no goodlife does, they love their cardio equipment. My supersetting doesn't impact others because it's a short amount of time and it's not really seperate equipment. Surely you can see why saying "this is selfish..." seemingly an absolute statement, could be something that someone would pull you up on. You must go to a rather small gym by the sound of it. Even the gym I worked at had barely any cardio equipment but we still had 15 or so treadmills.

Im curious though, what is the max time you feel someone is allowed on a treadmill in your gym without being selfish? What's your opinion on a group of guys taking up a single bench for 30 minutes or so?

If you use a machine or bench for more than 7 or 8 minutes during peak time you are very annoying.

Treadmill I would say any more than half an hour is selfish.

i couldnt last 30 mins on a treadmill if i tried!

Its only selfish behavior if there is no spares around. Otherwise knock yourself out.

What is bloody selfish frickin behavior is reserving another piece of equipment while using another when there are no spares. Tbh I'm tired of this superset s**t. Unless you are supersetting but willing to give up one item if someone requests for it, otherwise your being an a-hole.

Love this thread lol.

OK I have another that hasn't been mentioned I'm tired of dickheads that need to be so close to the frickin mirror and in front of all the dumbbells rack where you are blocking others from getting them.

Ffs get glasses and move back. Don't do your bloody workout in front of a barbell or dumbbell rack.

So basically it's all about context? And my actions aren't selfish because we are in completely different contexts? My gym doesn't get busy enough to have all the cardio equipment in use, no goodlife does, they love their cardio equipment. My supersetting doesn't impact others because it's a short amount of time and it's not really seperate equipment. Surely you can see why saying "this is selfish..." seemingly an absolute statement, could be something that someone would pull you up on. You must go to a rather small gym by the sound of it. Even the gym I worked at had barely any cardio equipment but we still had 15 or so treadmills.

Im curious though, what is the max time you feel someone is allowed on a treadmill in your gym without being selfish? What's your opinion on a group of guys taking up a single bench for 30 minutes or so?

Im not sure what youre getting at? Of course its all about context. When i say "peak periods" im talking about the gym being full, you having to wait for machines. If people are using the treadmill for an hour and there are none free its poor, its also hard to track everyone who is waiting so if you just make it a reasonable amount of time (which depending on context could be anything really) youre all good.

I think if every treddy is loaded 30 mins as a max but if you can see that 4 other people around you have jumped off after 15 then you can probably push that out.

Youre getting very particular about a very broad statement here and frankly it seems like you are doing it to justify what you do at the gym.

for clarity if every treddy or bench is taken up and you hog equipment thats selfish. Consider how you would feel if you came in, there were no spare treddys and you watched every person on them use them for a full hour and you missed out on your cardio because of it? Thats the worst case scenario.

I've also been at a number of gyms that had signs that stated 20 min limit on cardio during peak times. Which seems fair, but every gym ive ever been to has signs saying dont drop weights and no one listens so signs dont work. You are reliant on people being considerate.
Every gym has signs saying don't drop weights? Jesus man. What gyms are you going to? Only one I've ever seen that at was fitness first Collins St because they are on the second floor
Im not sure what youre getting at? Of course its all about context. When i say "peak periods" im talking about the gym being full, you having to wait for machines. If people are using the treadmill for an hour and there are none free its poor, its also hard to track everyone who is waiting so if you just make it a reasonable amount of time (which depending on context could be anything really) youre all good.

I think if every treddy is loaded 30 mins as a max but if you can see that 4 other people around you have jumped off after 15 then you can probably push that out.

Youre getting very particular about a very broad statement here and frankly it seems like you are doing it to justify what you do at the gym.

for clarity if every treddy or bench is taken up and you hog equipment thats selfish. Consider how you would feel if you came in, there were no spare treddys and you watched every person on them use them for a full hour and you missed out on your cardio because of it? Thats the worst case scenario.
i wouldnt see that as selfish. Think of gym equipment like a car park. If someone is actually using it, and it causes me to miss out, that's my problem, I will have to deal with that. I'm not going to suggest someone is selfish for using things in a manner they should be

Of course I'm justifying my behaviour. I explained what I do, and you said it's selfish.

Peak time is peak time. Some gyms are just better manager than others, it sounds like you've signed up to a gym that doesn't have adequate equipment to the members they have.

We only have 5 adjustable benches. Sure it sucks if they're all in use when I want one. But if they're being used they're being used, there isn't a time limit. You adapt your training around it.

I just don't agree what you're saying is selfish (especially in the real scenarios I've given about my gym).

I only pointed out you using "gym rat" as it tends to be a negative term used by the casual social gym goers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back