Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
not disagreeing with you re etiquette of some trainers, but why does a trainer who is paying rent to a gym need to go over to folks and correct their form? yes, there are trainers who do this in an attempt to generate business, but it's not up to a trainer who is not on the payroll of the gym to correct every members form. earning fees for their services is how trainers make a living. many gyms have cert 3 or 4 qualified staff employed by the gym itself to be a presence on the floor and help members with one-off questions and correcting form immediately if need be.

I've generally found even the employed trainers say nothing to anyone who isn't giving them $$$. I'm not sure how it all works, i assume it is a base rate and commission based or something?

its like everything i guess if the advice is good you want to hear it. Chain gyms rarely have trainers who give good advice (unless its about how to pose in the mirror after doing your bicep curls)

not disagreeing with you re etiquette of some trainers, but why does a trainer who is paying rent to a gym need to go over to folks and correct their form? yes, there are trainers who do this in an attempt to generate business, but it's not up to a trainer who is not on the payroll of the gym to correct every members form. earning fees for their services is how trainers earn a living. many gyms have cert 3 or 4 qualified staff employed by the gym itself to be a presence on the floor and help members with one-off questions and correcting form immediately if need be.

end of the day, it's up to the member to seek a trainer to get assistance in performing a movement correctly, or if they're tight arse about spending money on training.....research it properly and learn to do it themselves. most folks do neither. besides, for some reason, a majority of folks believe that what they're doing is correct and don't need the help.....perhaps because machines (there's a problem right there) have directions on how to use them. just because the gym has a machine, it doesn't mean it is going to be of benefit. all these machines are a legacy of the era when a gym was exclusively associated with bodybuilding. 90% of folks who enter a gym have no business training like a bodybuilder.
Well unless you enjoy watching people get injured when you could prevent it, why wouldn't you? Further to that, not only is it a good way to get a new client, it shows other gym users that you have knowledge, this building your brand. Your attitude is what causes a lot of trainers to struggle.

Not being on payroll does not equate to no responsibility either. You're a contracted employee of the gym, and a representative of it. Good luck keeping your job if some bloke goes down with a ****ed back because he as doing stupid s**t with weights and you just stood and watched

That's also assuming that the gym doesn't have terms in the contract of expectations of trainers while on the gym floor (most do)

I've also never been at a gym that's had fully qualified trainers employed as floor walkers

not disagreeing with you re etiquette of some trainers, but why does a trainer who is paying rent to a gym need to go over to folks and correct their form? yes, there are trainers who do this in an attempt to generate business, but it's not up to a trainer who is not on the payroll of the gym to correct every members form. earning fees for their services is how trainers make a living. many gyms have cert 3 or 4 qualified staff employed by the gym itself to be a presence on the floor and help members with one-off questions and correcting form immediately if need be.
I get it not being their job to look after anyone who isn't paying I just don't get the attitude some of them have at my gym, they almost actively don't seem to want clients.

Well unless you enjoy watching people get injured when you could prevent it, why wouldn't you? Further to that, not only is it a good way to get a new client, it shows other gym users that you have knowledge, this building your brand. Your attitude is what causes a lot of trainers to struggle.

Not being on payroll does not equate to no responsibility either. You're a contracted employee of the gym, and a representative of it. Good luck keeping your job if some bloke goes down with a stuffed back because he as doing stupid s**t with weights and you just stood and watched

i dunno being a veteran of good life i can tell you the trainers with a s**t "bro" attitude with bad technique still seem to be there getting clients. I don't get it tbh. The thing about bad technique is it would generally take awhile to kick in, and then its just the guy going "s**t my back is kinda sore, might lay off the gym for a bit!" which has zero repercussions for the trainer who has long since moved on.

i'd love to know what kind of stats trainers pull in, how many clients do they have, how long do they work with the clients, what results have they got that kind of stuff. So you could actually measure the results as opposed to "yeah this guy seems alright and seems pretty ripped, he must know what he is doing!"

i dunno being a veteran of good life i can tell you the trainers with a s**t "bro" attitude with bad technique still seem to be there getting clients. I don't get it tbh. The thing about bad technique is it would generally take awhile to kick in, and then its just the guy going "s**t my back is kinda sore, might lay off the gym for a bit!" which has zero repercussions for the trainer who has long since moved on.

i'd love to know what kind of stats trainers pull in, how many clients do they have, how long do they work with the clients, what results have they got that kind of stuff. So you could actually measure the results as opposed to "yeah this guy seems alright and seems pretty ripped, he must know what he is doing!"
Goodlife trainers are successful because they just churn through members. Both member and trainer turnover is high, they prey on the ones who don't know better, new members always seem to go with trainers. The only successful ones at Mooroolbark are the ones who know how to market, they've got no idea on the gym floor, but they're strong at marketing themselves.

Goodlife (and the gym I worked at was similar) have ******* ridiculous trainer contracts though.

Not sure why you quoted me, i dont want them correcting form, i just want them to f**k off

Seeing these pop-up on the early 20's douchebag/poser types, especially the red ones to gain max attention:

$_1.JPG

interesting how they require that extra stability yet have never done a squat/deadlift in their life..
This this and this again.

members and casuals all sign an indemnity release and adhere to conditions applicable to that particular gym.

if trainers were to correct the form of every member they see doing an exercise incorrectly, then they'd need to cancel all their clients to attend to it. i'd be certain that trainers would also end up seeing the same person doing the same exercise the same way the next time. end of the day, it's up to the member to make sure they're exercising correctly. they can do that by informing themselves or seeking assistance.

Not being on payroll does not equate to no responsibility either. You're a contracted employee of the gym, and a representative of it. Good luck keeping your job if some bloke goes down with a stuffed back because he as doing stupid s**t with weights and you just stood and watched

That's also assuming that the gym doesn't have terms in the contract of expectations of trainers while on the gym floor (most do)

I've also never been at a gym that's had fully qualified trainers employed as floor walkers
the trainer would lose their job if they were advising the member to do stupid s**t. a member deciding to do it on their own has signed a release and has signified they knows of the dangers of not knowing what they're doing.

I've generally found even the employed trainers say nothing to anyone who isn't giving them $$$. I'm not sure how it all works, i assume it is a base rate and commission based or something?

its like everything i guess if the advice is good you want to hear it. Chain gyms rarely have trainers who give good advice (unless its about how to pose in the mirror after doing your bicep curls)

an accountant isn't going to give you tax advice unless you ask for it too.

i've given advice to other members who know im a tertiary educated exercise, sports and rehab professional. the next time i see them, they're still doing the same thing incorrectly.

gyms are an environment where just about every campaigner thinks they know what they're doing. that's why there is so much judgement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

members and casuals all sign an indemnity release and adhere to conditions applicable to that particular gym.

if trainers were to correct the form of every member they see doing an exercise incorrectly, then they'd need to cancel all their clients to attend to it. i'd be certain that trainers would also end up seeing the same person doing the same exercise the same way the next time. end of the day, it's up to the member to make sure they're exercising correctly. they can do that by informing themselves or seeking assistance.

the trainer would lose their job if they were advising the member to do stupid s**t. a member deciding to do it on their own has signed a release and has signified they knows of the dangers of not knowing what they're doing.
You don't know enough about OH&S to be having this discussion

I've worked as a PT in a commercial gym and my father owns a large OH&S company. Everything you have said is false.

an accountant isn't going to give you tax advice unless you ask for it too.

i've given advice to other members who know im a tertiary educated exercise, sports and rehab professional. the next time i see them, they're still doing the same thing incorrectly.

gyms are an environment where just about every campaigner thinks they know what they're doing. that's why there is so much judgement.
Have you ever actually seen a gym employment contract or been employed by one?

Your false equivalence suggests not

i was going to reply to your comment about machines and also programs - having a program doesn't necessarily mean a member knows what the're actually doing - but then didn't.
Might be controversial but PT's at big commercial gyms are a pain and almost a waste of time. Literally every machine has an explanation and most gyms offer a sign up consultation where they do a program for you.

With all the above and access to a trainer or staff member to ask question why do you need someone who takes dibs on 75 machines and inconveniences other gym users.

We all know its revenue raising but honestly.

No it doesn't, but that wasn't really my point. As you can see my point originally was if people want a PT go get a PT or go to a specific PT style gym. Having them at commercial gyms where every exercise is explained on the machine and there is usually staff that you could ask questions of is just inconvenient for literally every other gym users.

I go to Zap fitness, its 24 hours and is unmanned from 6pm-7am. If you want a PT why on earth would you come to that gym, not to mention there is a specific PT style gym 10 minute walk from Zap.

As mentioned in most instances at a commercial gym its revenue raising and I get that, doesn't mean its not frustrating.

No it doesn't, but that wasn't really my point. As you can see my point originally was if people want a PT go get a PT or go to a specific PT style gym. Having them at commercial gyms where every exercise is explained on the machine and there is usually staff that you could ask questions of is just inconvenient for literally every other gym users.

I go to Zap fitness, its 24 hours and is unmanned from 6pm-7am. If you want a PT why on earth would you come to that gym, not to mention there is a specific PT style gym 10 minute walk from Zap.

As mentioned in most instances at a commercial gym its revenue raising and I get that, doesn't mean its not frustrating.
I think the amount of PTs they have in commercial gyms is revenue raising. It's beneficial to have at least some there though, I barely use machines (and rarely prescribe them to others)

I think the amount of PTs they have in commercial gyms is revenue raising. It's beneficial to have at least some there though, I barely use machines (and rarely prescribe them to others)

Look youre probably right, still frustrating when a PT grabs 5 sets of dumbbells, a treadmill and 3 machines, plus floor space for boxing in a small gym at 6.30pm when its at peak.

I stand by my comments that if youre after guidance and a PT you should hit up a PT style gym, there are more and more of them, over a commercial gym.

Look youre probably right, still frustrating when a PT grabs 5 sets of dumbbells, a treadmill and 3 machines, plus floor space for boxing in a small gym at 6.30pm when its at peak.

I stand by my comments that if youre after guidance and a PT you should hit up a PT style gym, there are more and more of them, over a commercial gym.
Yeah PTs shouldn't do that. It shits me too. I think PTs just need to be better, not to remove them from commercial gyms, most people who need them use commercial gyms

A lot of it is overcrowding anyway. ENRG was huge and had 6 trainers. Goodlife is about half the size and has 24

Yeah PTs shouldn't do that. It shits me too. I think PTs just need to be better, not to remove them from commercial gyms, most people who need them use commercial gyms

A lot of it is overcrowding anyway. ENRG was huge and had 6 trainers. Goodlife is about half the size and has 24

Zap is tiny and only has like 4 or 5 to be fair but if I cant sook about it here where can I!!

Zap is tiny and only has like 4 or 5 to be fair but if I cant sook about it here where can I!!
I think your complaint is valid hah just think the solution is trainers not being *******s. Not removing all trainers lol

You don't know enough about OH&S to be having this discussion

I've worked as a PT in a commercial gym and my father owns a large OH&S company. Everything you have said is false.

Ive been a pt client (for my rehab), but i also work in compliance, and ive found the market very mixed

Some places are really hardcore for ohs and safety. Trainers tend to be bolted on at the site, and very protective of the clients.

Others... Well.... The ohs standard 4801 is actually voluntary, but trying to get commercial gyms to take it seriously is tough. They say their staff and trainers are contractors, and rotate in and out too much, so its hard to oroperly document training for staff. My concern is if you cant properly train your own staff on how the equipment is used, what hope in hell do your actual customers have?

Ive been a pt client (for my rehab), but i also work in compliance, and ive found the market very mixed

Some places are really hardcore for ohs and safety. Trainers tend to be bolted on at the site, and very protective of the clients.

Others... Well.... The ohs standard 4801 is actually voluntary, but trying to get commercial gyms to take it seriously is tough. They say their staff and trainers are contractors, and rotate in and out too much, so its hard to oroperly document training for staff. My concern is if you cant properly train your own staff on how the equipment is used, what hope in hell do your actual customers have?
I'd say compliance would be a rarity in most gyms. We had a trainer at my old gym get in huge amounts of trouble (and got the sack) because a customer was trying to use a plate loaded machine that had 40kgs loaded above her head height. The trainer was nearby and could see her trying to remove the plates but didn't help, she grabbed one tried to pull it off ended up badly injuring her shoulder.

Like most industries until something bad happens and they get in trouble most places won't change

PT contracts (every one that I've seen) include expectations for gym floor work and behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back