Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of Olympic lifting, cross fitting, weight dropping flogs at my gym seems to be increasing at an exponential rate.

Unless you're using bumper plates and/or in a dedicated facility you have no business dropping barbells in crowded commercial gyms.

I've checked with the trainers and apparently the gym policy is go for it but it shits me to tears. Especially when there is a crossfit box about 1km down the road
I was pounding the cross trainer on Wednesday night and some flog kept smashing down the cables/pulley on the other side of the room on his last rep (ie letting go of the bar/grip way too early).

Like seriously dude, control the ******* thing, you're not doing 200kg deadlifts or 60kg dumbbell presses FFS. I muttered fairly loudly to control the machine, guys on treadmills behind me heard I reckon.

Can't comment for how bad it is for males as I am not one, but it's a ******* joke as a female. I turned down ice cream at a friend's house... and then a kit kat. Keep in mind she's 'normal' weight and goes on runs sporadically, not overweight. She said to me, 'you need to relax and love yourself'. Just because I turned down empty calories?!!!

I also celebrated a 2kg weight loss (not water). She then said that I was a stick and I should be careful. I mean, FFS. I'm 5'5/5'6 and 54 kg. I am not even in the realm of stick thin, as you guys have seen. I'm not 6'2 and 10kg. It's like every female who wants to take care of themselves are crucified for not giving a **** and eating cake.

My wife was diagnosed with coeliac about a year go and has to eat insanely clean, to the point where she puts most' fitness' people to shame. All meals prepped, and eating out/at a friends house is a nightmare due to cross contamination worries etc. The amount of flak she cops even from her friends who know about her condition is absolutely disgusting because people think she's just being picky or a 'salad bitch' when they see her diet. Add to that she's 5'1 and weighs around 40kg and everyone who meets her feels the need to comment on her figure/diet etc even though she could put most nutritionists to shame in regards to dietary requirements.

If she were to turn around to some of the overweight people she works with and question their eating habits she'd be crucified, yet they all feel it necessary to 'advise' her on what to eat, how much etc.

Shits me to no end, people should just mind their own ******* business, especially if they are a s**t eating fatty themselves.

I really think people overestimate this defense of overweight people thing...

I figure most people who have been really thin or really fat have copped flack from someone over their choices.

Coeliac is a bitch, unlike "gluten intolerance"

My wife has allergies, chicken egg, avocado, banana and kiwi fruit.

Shits me no end that menus are more likely to say vegetation or gluten free than have allergy warnings for nuts, eggs etc

They are more worried about stuff that in general will result in someone complaining than dying

The number of times you get blank stares when asking about whether there is egg in something....

I figure most people who have been really thin or really fat have copped flack from someone over their choices.

Coeliac is a bitch, unlike "gluten intolerance"

My wife has allergies, chicken egg, avocado, banana and kiwi fruit.

Shits me no end that menus are more likely to say vegetation or gluten free than have allergy warnings for nuts, eggs etc

They are more worried about stuff that in general will result in someone complaining than dying

The number of times you get blank stares when asking about whether there is egg in something....

I hate how cafes etc advertise certain foods such meat as gluten free......it didn't have gluten in it to start with. Different if they make something that would nornally have gluten in it but they provide a gluten
Free alternative like a pizza base

People who move benches away from the smith machine when there is already 5 unused benches in the dumbbell area where you want to do some kind of weird lunge on in the said dumbbell area.....

Like seriously dude, just leave it there and use one of the 5 free benches....

My wife was diagnosed with coeliac about a year go and has to eat insanely clean, to the point where she puts most' fitness' people to shame. All meals prepped, and eating out/at a friends house is a nightmare due to cross contamination worries etc. The amount of flak she cops even from her friends who know about her condition is absolutely disgusting because people think she's just being picky or a 'salad bitch' when they see her diet. Add to that she's 5'1 and weighs around 40kg and everyone who meets her feels the need to comment on her figure/diet etc even though she could put most nutritionists to shame in regards to dietary requirements.

If she were to turn around to some of the overweight people she works with and question their eating habits she'd be crucified, yet they all feel it necessary to 'advise' her on what to eat, how much etc.

Shits me to no end, people should just mind their own ******* business, especially if they are a s**t eating fatty themselves.

I can sympathise with you, my ex was diagnosed as celiac during our relationship, and it was quite severe. It's not fun seeing how much pain they're in when/if they DO consume something with gluten. Kudos to your wife for having the foresight to food prep and also when she goes out to eat. It really sucks, especially if it's something that is sudden and you've had X amount of years living without thinking about food that much.

My gym's pretty good. Very good in fact. But there're invariably days where I'm in a grumpy mood and the tiniest of behaviours tend to bother me.

One guy, I see every day, our workouts correspond like clock-work, wears his bloody lifting-belt for ALL his exercises, walks around with his clear 4L plastic drinking bottle, Beatz head-phones. Pretentious knobbery which I only seem to notice when I'm moody AF. We get it mate - you gym.

Seldom, ppl take their sweet time on a particular machine/squat rack.. too long in fact. Get in, get out F*ckrs.

My gym's pretty good. Very good in fact. But there're invariably days where I'm in a grumpy mood and the tiniest of behaviours tend to bother me.

One guy, I see every day, our workouts correspond like clock-work, wears his bloody lifting-belt for ALL his exercises, walks around with his clear 4L plastic drinking bottle, Beatz head-phones. Pretentious knobbery which I only seem to notice when I'm moody AF. We get it mate - you gym.

Seldom, ppl take their sweet time on a particular machine/squat rack.. too long in fact. Get in, get out F*ckrs.
people like this seem to come standard issue in commercial gyms

at least 1 per time slot

I really think people overestimate this defense of overweight people thing...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that people defend overweight people, just that its far less socially acceptable to have a go at them or put them down over their diet/exercise regime. There would be a hell of a lot more derogatory things said about overweight people behind their backs or sfellowed in gyms that fit people but its just so taboo to say it to their face.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that people defend overweight people, just that its far less socially acceptable to have a go at them or put them down over their diet/exercise regime. There would be a hell of a lot more derogatory things said about overweight people behind their backs or sfellowed in gyms that fit people but its just so taboo to say it to their face.
People have explicitly said it's defended?

I was obese for 26 years. There is absolutely zero taboo about it. I had plenty of s**t said to my face, strangers, friends, family, colleagues.

Not sure how it turned into a pissing contest (not you the others complaining). It's weird to tell people that you cop more insults than they do

People have explicitly said it's defended?

I was obese for 26 years. There is absolutely zero taboo about it. I had plenty of s**t said to my face, strangers, friends, family, colleagues.

Not sure how it turned into a pissing contest (not you the others complaining). It's weird to tell people that you cop more insults than they do

Okay, I must have missed the defence, I thought people were just pointing out its much more socially acceptable to "fit shame" than to "fat shame". Ive never been overweight so I cant really give any personal experience to that and I guess being that I consider myself a decent human being I couldn't imagine saying anything derogatory to someones face about their weight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, I must have missed the defence, I thought people were just pointing out its much more socially acceptable to "fit shame" than to "fat shame". Ive never been overweight so I cant really give any personal experience to that and I guess being that I consider myself a decent human being I couldn't imagine saying anything derogatory to someones face about their weight.
Copped a lot more when I was fat than now. It's also worse when you're fat, most fat people have self confidence and body issues, whereas now I'm fit, if someone mocks me training 2 hours a day or what I eat I just laugh. People are self conscious of being fat not so much self conscious of being fit (obviously the coeliac thing is seperate to that)

I'm speaking on behalf of someone who has been obese, skinny and now fit.

Nah fat shaming would be huge compared to fit shaming imo

Would you tell a fat person that what they are eating is disgusting and would be the reasons they are overweight? Would you lightheartedly tell a super buff gym junkie that they should take a break from the meal prep salads and just have a burger.

I think that's the point vonn was originally making. It's socially acceptable to do one and not the other.

Again I have no idea ive copped fit shaming but its never really bothered me, truth be told ive probably even been guilty of it but I don't think ive ever seen someone go up to someone and can them for being overweight or eating bad food (short of watching the biggest loser).

I think the stigma and shaming done to fat people is much more harmful but less likely to occur so openly. To be fair that's just my opinion.

Copped a lot more when I was fat than now. It's also worse when you're fat, most fat people have self confidence and body issues, whereas now I'm fit, if someone mocks me training 2 hours a day or what I eat I just laugh. People are self conscious of being fat not so much self conscious of being fit (obviously the coeliac thing is seperate to that)

I'm speaking on behalf of someone who has been obese, skinny and now fit.

Fair enough, interesting to get that perspective.

Would you tell a fat person that what they are eating is disgusting and would be the reasons they are overweight? Would you lightheartedly tell a super buff gym junkie that they should take a break from the meal prep salads and just have a burger.

I think that's the point vonn was originally making. It's socially acceptable to do one and not the other.

Again I have no idea ive copped fit shaming but its never really bothered me, truth be told ive probably even been guilty of it but I don't think ive ever seen someone go up to someone and can them for being overweight or eating bad food (short of watching the biggest loser).

I think the stigma and shaming done to fat people is much more harmful but less likely to occur so openly. To be fair that's just my opinion.

Yup
Theres a guy at work who has every reason under the sun about why he can't lose weight
Then scoffs his face with s**t all day
I have no prob telling him that's it's 80% diet and to stop whining if he continues to eat crap
I certainly don't insult him about his weight tho

Yup
Theres a guy at work who has every reason under the sun about why he can't lose weight
Then scoffs his face with s**t all day
I have no prob telling him that's it's 80% diet and to stop whining if he continues to eat crap
I certainly don't insult him about his weight tho

Seems like your approaching it constructively then, which most people who can salad eaters and meal preppers aren't doing. As was pointed out if you eat healthy usually people go "why don't you live a little""youre too thin""you don't love yourself" etc. its saying youre unhealthy mentally because you don't treat yourself.

Again I don't think that message is as harmful as "youre horrible because youre fat" but if it upsets someone its not ideal either.

It's also entirely about the individual, some people embrace their weight and have extreme body confidence about being 50 kgs overweight, they might not care what you say to them, I have a mate who is a body builder, insanely ripped, meal preps everyday, if someone gives him any criticism or mentions his weird prepped meals he gets totally insecure about it "oh maybe I should leave the meals in the car, I don't want people to think im a dickhead etc". Hes gonna be a lot more hurt by those comments that the overweight person who just thinks everyone is a hater.

I still stand by the fact youre a lot more likely to see someone joke around about how you could stand to eat a burger than you are to see someone joke around about how youre a big fatty but again, that's just an opinion and I have no evidence to back it up, I do know there is evidence of job discrimination and personal bias against overweight people though so it always seems to be more "discreet" if you like.

Seems like your approaching it constructively then, which most people who can salad eaters and meal preppers aren't doing. As was pointed out if you eat healthy usually people go "why don't you live a little""youre too thin""you don't love yourself" etc. its saying youre unhealthy mentally because you don't treat yourself.

Again I don't think that message is as harmful as "youre horrible because youre fat" but if it upsets someone its not ideal either.

It's also entirely about the individual, some people embrace their weight and have extreme body confidence about being 50 kgs overweight, they might not care what you say to them, I have a mate who is a body builder, insanely ripped, meal preps everyday, if someone gives him any criticism or mentions his weird prepped meals he gets totally insecure about it "oh maybe I should leave the meals in the car, I don't want people to think im a dickhead etc". Hes gonna be a lot more hurt by those comments that the overweight person who just thinks everyone is a hater.

I still stand by the fact youre a lot more likely to see someone joke around about how you could stand to eat a burger than you are to see someone joke around about how youre a big fatty but again, that's just an opinion and I have no evidence to back it up, I do know there is evidence of job discrimination and personal bias against overweight people though so it always seems to be more "discreet" if you like.
I think the main difference is, that the comments made to meal preppers etc. tend to be joking in nature, the fat shaming tends to have a bit more malice in it. And is more likely to be taken that way.

I don't give a s**t now. Worst I cop is getting asked if I have diabetes because I eat so much chicken and rice, and if I "know how bad that stuff is for you" (preworkout/protein powders). Easy to shrug that off. Was much more difficult when people asked why I didn't lose weight, or why I'm too lazy to play sport etc.

Exercise and Sports Science Australia and their holier than though attitude - if it were up to them every gym member would be paying one of their members $200 an hour to do something a $50/hour PT could
*edit*
They also delete FB comments if ou slam them over an article they post lol

Exercise and Sports Science Australia and their holier than though attitude - if it were up to them every gym member would be paying one of their members $200 an hour to do something a $50/hour PT could
*edit*
They also delete FB comments if ou slam them over an article they post lol
I got offered to join. Have you seen the costs associated with entry?

not really annoying but really funny.
there's these 2 guys at the pool i've been going to for years who do the water aerobics classes weekly. the class is pretty much seniors and the occasional middle aged woman. they're the only 2 men in the group, both not in great shape and probably in their 30s. They get extremely competitive in the classes and are always looking around to see if the oldies are faster than them. i've been in the change rooms at the same time as them a few times now, and they go full gym bro. "great work today bro, you killed it" "yeah brah that was intense" ass slaps, fist bumps and all. really has to be seen to be believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back