Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, Training and Nutrition' started by Abba Lonie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. DemonTim

DemonTim Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Jul 18, 2013
    I meant the "spot all for 8 reps" part

The other parts aren't such a big deal. But you shouldn't need a spot for an entire warm up set

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Sep 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Didn't actually see the spot comment...

Yeh that's a little odd.

DemonTim likes this.
  3. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Sep 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Thinking about it outside of dicking around at the footy gym and doing max weight checks I don't think I've ever been spotted.

4. Aeglos

Aeglos Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Riverpigs
    Sep 27, 2016
    Croydon station
    Not so much "spotting" but iirc Russia's most well known powerlifting coach (Sheiko) advocates lifters getting hand outs for warm ups (include the empty bar) as it's what happens in comp.

5. peternorth

peternorth Facts Machine

Richmond
    May 6, 2005
    Struggle town at the gym tonight. 50kg deadlifts x 30, 30 x lat pull downs at 30-35 kgs.

stretching. a lot of stretching.

6. HirdyLannister

HirdyLannister Premiership Player

Essendon
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cersei's bed
    Deload week? Seems low

7. peternorth

peternorth Facts Machine

Richmond
    May 6, 2005
    Aye, a deload.

8. saj_21

saj_21 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    Aug 30, 2007
    unlisted
    Not really he was solid, 6'1 - 85kg at a guess

All the equipment just seemed unnecessary

9. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    Aug 30, 2007
    unlisted
    It was his working set, the spotter was there just in case he didn't actually assist with any reps

DemonTim likes this.
  10. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Sep 12, 2007
    Sydney
    About my size. 85-90 would be my max bench for 3-4 reps but I don't even own elbow straps, I'm not trying to break any pbs. Weird set up.

11. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    Aug 30, 2007
    unlisted
    Yeah you'd see most guys wearing that amount of equipment to be pressing some serious weight.

phantom13 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. DemonTim

Melbourne
    Jul 18, 2013
    New one:
    Bloke puts his bottle and towel down on a bench. Proceeds to do standing lateral raises basically on top of the rack, super sets with push-ups on top of the db rack.

13. DemonTim

Melbourne
    Jul 18, 2013
    Also including cable flyes on the opposite side of the gym and bicep curls on top of the rack in his "superset"

14. saj_21

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    Aug 30, 2007
    unlisted
    I hate it when people uses benches as a place to store there towel, drink bottle and not actually use it to perform an exercise.

Mofra, Andre and DemonTim like this.
  15. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Sep 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Fine if there is literally no one else using them, not fine if there is even a chance someone is coming over to use them.

16. Hawker_85

Hawker_85 Team Captain

Hawthorn
    Sep 28, 2015
    reverse hyper.jpg

I frequently use the reverse hyper in the gym I train at as I am rehabbing two bulging/compressed/dehydrated discs, and there always seems to be someone who thinks that the thing is a ******* table to throw their workout bag etc on. I'm at the point now where I don't even look around to see who owns the stuff, I just throw it on the floor. Pic attached for anyone who doesn't know what a reverse hyper is.

deklares, Mofra and phantom13 like this.
  17. Mofra

Mofra Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Footscray, The Exers
    Dec 6, 2005
    In the moment
    Two girls this morning move the benches away from the weights area onto the floor, and spent their routine doing floor exercises in the weight area (rubberized floor for dropping weights and the benches are there). One was even blocking the side of the power rack that has the weight rack on the side of it.
    Clueless.

JG22 likes this.
  18. Aeglos

Aeglos Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Riverpigs
    Sep 27, 2016
    Croydon station
    Haha.
    The reverse hyper is the ultimate "oh this looks like a good spot to leave my shit"
    My theory is that it's because they're taller so people spot them easier (and it's more convenient) and because they're squarer than a bench they remind people more of a tabletop

Hawker_85 likes this.
  19. DemonTim

Melbourne
    Jul 18, 2013
    Bloke spends about 20 minutes doing 3 sets of bench. Not contact on the bench below his upper back. Rests about 5 minutes between sets

Finally gets off the bench and doesn't unload the bar.

20. peternorth

peternorth Facts Machine

Richmond
    May 6, 2005
    strange that one. why would someone do floor exercises in a weights area? attention?

phantom13 likes this.
  21. go you pups

go you pups Hall of Famer

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
    Jun 27, 2013
    :D

Sounds a bit like me when I do bench some days, but I rest for 2-3 minutes between sets. I do about 5-6 sets (2 warm up sets then 3-4 main sets) and put my weights away.

I absolutely hog the thing when I train at Derrimut though, there is only 2 benches at my Derrimut that you can move around for Smith machines/racks etc, all the rest are bolted into the floor infront of the dumbbell area.

As I'm a big bloke I set a retractable bench up in a squat rack as the bench presses there absolutely suck (poor length + poor angles), takes me about 35-45mins for a full flat + incline routine.

22. DemonTim

Melbourne
    Jul 18, 2013
    I think it was more annoying because he would just leave his stuff at the bench and wander off for 5 minutes. Occasionally supersetting with another piece of equipment

Plus the not putting the weight away. Cmon buddy you're lifting 80. It's not hard to put 4 plates back (especially when there's a rack right next to the bench)

23. Mofra

Mofra Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Footscray, The Exers
    Dec 6, 2005
    In the moment
    In one case attention, the other ignorance. At a guess.

24. go you pups

go you pups Hall of Famer

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
    Jun 27, 2013
    Yeah, campaigners not putting their weights away always shits me

Worst is unloading 200-300kgs off a leg press just to make sure the angle/seat is right as Im a big bloke, then naturally I load it back up for my routine then have to put my own 300kgs away.

25. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Sep 12, 2007
    Sydney
    The rubber mat floors are rank as well, just a petri dish of spilled suppliments, spit and sweat.