Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting busted taking a big s**t in the lady's toilet (it's much nicer in there).
Of course it’s much nicer in there. From days back when did cleaning where my old man used to work, it made it clear, that unlike men’s toilets, the ladies didn’t have a significant minority who could only have deliberately been trying to miss the target. Or leave toilet paper strewn around.

Thankfully my gym is in a solid upper-middle class area so not stacked with ferals, but I’d rather be uncomfortable holding it in then use men’s facilities in places like railway stations or the like where ferals abound.

Plus everyone knows women don’t fart or s**t, so you immediately outed yourself there o_O

Seriously though, unless all males bathrooms were not working, if I was running your gym you’d have your membership revoked.

We have 5 unisex toilets/showers rooms. Each is about 4x4m with a shower, sink, toilet. Always super clean. Never knew this was an issue until I read this thread.

Currently my gym is in an interim place while a new one is built... interesting to see what the new ‘state of art’ one will look like. It will have a pool, overlook the ocean etc. Glad I have a roll over membership so I save when it moves.

Three people (two guys and one girl) rolled into the gym last night (about 5pm) and proceeded to do a photo shoot. Stripped off, oiled up, just flitting between machines faffing about. It wasn't professional either just with their phones and I'm sure it wasn't organised with the gym. They didn't get in my way but they were flogs and it was an empty gym besides me and them.

Three people (two guys and one girl) rolled into the gym last night (about 5pm) and proceeded to do a photo shoot. Stripped off, oiled up, just flitting between machines faffing about. It wasn't professional either just with their phones and I'm sure it wasn't organised with the gym. They didn't get in my way but they were flogs and it was an empty gym besides me and them.

instagram models?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is probably a legit reason for some people doing this but it has now become a popular choice at my gym
People squatting with no shoes on. They then proceed to wander about the gym wearing no shoes.
Not so much irritating but just bizarre imo

our gym has shoes on at all times policy, you still see a bunch of people drop down to socks or bare feet to squat or dead and nothing gets said but they get looks

There is probably a legit reason for some people doing this but it has now become a popular choice at my gym
People squatting with no shoes on. They then proceed to wander about the gym wearing no shoes.

It’s been discussed a few times before here but basically proponents of bare feet say
1) by having no shoes any force generated gets applied directly through the floor as opposed to being dissipated through a rubber sole
2) by the feet being in direct contact to the ground more muscle gets activated
3) for deadlifting at least, no shoes means the bar has to travel less distance
Points #1&3 are plausible from a physics stand point, however I’ve always been skeptical of #2

It’s been discussed a few times before here but basically proponents of bare feet say
1) by having no shoes any force generated gets applied directly through the floor as opposed to being dissipated through a rubber sole
2) by the feet being in direct contact to the ground more muscle gets activated
3) for deadlifting at least, no shoes means the bar has to travel less distance
Points #1&3 are plausible from a physics stand point, however I’ve always been skeptical of #2

I'm sure for some of the more dedicated lifters in our place it would be because of the above, the rest I think though have seen people doing it so without question they have followed.

I'm sure for some of the more dedicated lifters in our place it would be because of the above, the rest I think though have seen people doing it so without question they have followed.

Doesn’t “doing it cos they see someone else doing it” account for 90% of what you see in a gym lol?

I take my shoes off to deadlift these days. I used to deadlift in an old pair of asics and it was fine, but when i bought my new Nikes i found it quite uncomfortable. The Nikes have a higher heel and i felt off balance/like i was leaning too far forward when lifting.

Yes people do say by being barefoot the bar travels less distance and the force you apply goes directly into the floor, but those benefits are pretty insignificant for a recreational lifter like me.

For most people being consistent in how you perform everything is the most important variable
eg if you always wear the same shoes and add 2.5kg to your squat, then you’ve progressed 2.5kg.
If (and we’ll work on an assumption that footwear matters) you get lifting shoes and add 2.5kg to your squat have you actually progressed? Or have the shoes just allowed you to lift 2.5kg more?
As you imply; that 2.5kg is important for a competitive lifter but is completely redundant for a recreational trainee.

Very normal to squat bare-foot. I may have, once or twice, walked to the drinking fountain without shoes, also.. (middle of day/no one around).

RE shoes, I know your average air gel type runners have weight limits which are easy to go past when deadlifting, the soft cushion type soles are great for running but not necessarily stabilty when lifting

something like cons or rebounds that have a solid flat rubber sole aren't much different to barefoot as far as most people go, other than the ability to spread the toes

I can see with barefoot more of your feet being activated for stability as there is no shoe constricting them but thats not going to help you lift more I wouldnt have thought

Squatting and dead-lifting (barefoot or in weightlifting shoes) simply comes downs to physics - Isaac Newton's third law states: for every action, there is an equal and opposition reaction. The statement means that in every interaction, there is a pair of forces acting on the two interacting objects.

So how does this apply to weightlifting? When lifting heavy weights the feet press into the floor and the floor presses back into the feet. That means there is less force bleed through a soft squishy sole like on a running shoe. Conversely, a weightlifting shoe has a wooden or composite heel that does not squish or compress under heavy loads, equating to more force when lifting a weight back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back