Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t you make the comparison originally?

Fwiw they aren’t even remotely similar and all the good intentions in the world you’re still gonna come across as a know it all flog “correcting” someone’s form without prompt. Stopping to assist someone whose tyre is flat isn’t even partially similar because the context and approach are different.

Tyre situation “hey mate do you need a hand” it’s their option to say yes or no. Lifting situation “hey you know you shouldn’t lift like that (or any variation) isn’t giving them an option.

Do what you like but if you approach me with my headphones on and my clear “I don’t want your advice” look and I’ll think youre a Dickhead.
If they turn around to my variation of offering advice on a deadlift and go “I’m all good lifting like this mate”. I’ll give them a simple thumbs up and “Too easy!”. It doesn’t have to be anything more than that, it’s still an option.

Aeglo made the comparison, I agreed with him.

I disagree, it’s the manner in which the approacher does the approaching.

“Hey mate, just a second! You’re doing those deadlifts wrong and you’re going to hurt yourself because of your back being curved like a banana, haha. Let me show you how you should be doing it, make sure to pull your armpits to the ground and engage your lats before starting the lift....etc”

Sounds a s**t load better than

“Oi ya dickhead, that’s not how its done”.

I can see it both ways as I have thought of doing this in the gym. Even though you are trying to do the right thing you aren't being paid or even requested to advise someone on their form etc. in the gym. Also you don't know their personality and how they would take the unwarranted advice. One person may be genuinely appreciative to receive the advice while others may get defensive or more. You would want to make sure you are giving the right advice if you are not a PT or have not studied it. Maybe the cues I give to the person may work for me but are going to confuse them and make it worse? Most likely I won’t be there the next time they attempt it so I don’t know how it’s being interpreted. I don’t know I just err on not getting involved.

I think make a mental note of their form, and if they come back just share a smile and a nod. Over the course of a few weeks you should be able to say hi how ya going, then lay the foundation to be gym friends. Eventually he or she may ask for help, then give it. It's important to gain their trust and relationship beforehand though.

Who says it has to be a guy? For the comparison it doesn’t have to be a guy.

A female pulls over to help you change a tyre.

A female also helps you correct your form in the gym.

Same thoughts of the situations or still not happy?

I'm. Out.

I remember doing tyre runs at football training one night. It was hard.

At the gym, flipping tyres was also an exercise. That was hard too.

But never in my years with trainers did we discuss changing tyres and whether assistance should/could be male and female

We have one of those racks at the gym where there are 4 spots for people to do squats, two on each side and room in between foe things like chin ups

Had a guy the other day decide nah I'm not going to use the chin up bar I'm going to use a cross bar in the middle

So I'm doing back squats and he's in front of me on the inside of the rack flopping around with his knees up in front of me trying to do chin ups

Made racking the bar interesting as he'd wait until I was half way through my set to jump on and then I'd be worried about walking into him when I was finished.

He did this for 3 of my sets

As someone who hopes to be considered one of these newbies soon I would welcome intervention from strangers with a clue and a helpful approach. People in the corner looking down their nose, probably compiling a list to complain about on the internet after they're done who think I must pay for x amount of PT sessions I can't afford before I'm deemed bearable in their presence certainly wouldn't be welcoming.

Common decency is usually pretty easy to spot in people though, as is the self cebteted type.
You'll be fine mate. It's not rocket science. Hit the library or the internet for plenty of free programs for beginners. It's all free. Then just work out in front of a mirror to monitor your technique.
Just don't take more space or equipment than you need and pack it all away when you're finished.

We have one of those racks at the gym where there are 4 spots for people to do squats, two on each side and room in between foe things like chin ups

Had a guy the other day decide nah I'm not going to use the chin up bar I'm going to use a cross bar in the middle

So I'm doing back squats and he's in front of me on the inside of the rack flopping around with his knees up in front of me trying to do chin ups

Made racking the bar interesting as he'd wait until I was half way through my set to jump on and then I'd be worried about walking into him when I was finished.

He did this for 3 of my sets

Hate when I’m squatting in the Same setup and someone goes in front of me and does squats too. So we are facing each other. Where do u look? And do you time your squat so you’re not going down and up together?

As someone who hopes to be considered one of these newbies soon I would welcome intervention from strangers with a clue and a helpful approach. People in the corner looking down their nose, probably compiling a list to complain about on the internet after they're done who think I must pay for x amount of PT sessions I can't afford before I'm deemed bearable in their presence certainly wouldn't be welcoming.

Common decency is usually pretty easy to spot in people though, as is the self cebteted type.

I remember when I first started how daunting the thought of going to the gym could be and how it felt like everyone was judging me as I walked around, so you are not alone in your feelings. Now that I’ve been going for a while, I think most people don’t mind one bit once a new face appears.

Hate when I’m squatting in the Same setup and someone goes in front of me and does squats too. So we are facing each other. Where do u look? And do you time your squat so you’re not going down and up together?
If he went opposite that would have been better he was on right angles

You look deep into their eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the gym late last night, doing some barbell inclines, and in between sets (while I'm still sitting on the bench) this bloke walks up behind me and pulls a plate off the bar and walks off with it. I thought at first he'd just taken it off the rack, couldn't believe he actually did it. he disappeared to the other side of the gym so I didn't get a chance to have a word. Granted I was on the Smith machine so it's not as dangerous as it could be, but still a dick move.

I was at the gym late last night, doing some barbell inclines, and in between sets (while I'm still sitting on the bench) this bloke walks up behind me and pulls a plate off the bar and walks off with it. I thought at first he'd just taken it off the rack, couldn't believe he actually did it. he disappeared to the other side of the gym so I didn't get a chance to have a word. Granted I was on the Smith machine so it's not as dangerous as it could be, but still a dick move.

Wait so youre doing your thing, he rocks up and takes a weight off YOUR bar? I think that is the biggest dick move in this thread!

There's a young woman at the pool that swims freestyle laps every day with the most bizarre straight arm windmill action. I'd never gonna say anything as you would come across as a complete tool but it's frustration as hell to see mainly because the rest of the stroke is pretty good and it would be so simple to fix. If she was just a totally crap swimmer full stop it would be less hard to see tbh.

Nothing wrong with straight arms- all about propulsion under the water ultimately.

Not ideal obviously, when I sprinted over 50’s and 100’s at meets I would more or less use a straight arm technique.

Have a look at some Olympic finals and you will see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with straight arms- all about propulsion under the water ultimately.

Not ideal obviously, when I sprinted over 50’s and 100’s at meets I would more or less use a straight arm technique.

Have a look at some Olympic finals and you will see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Klim was like that.

But this isn't round arm-ish, it's extreme like a near dead straight arm all the way around through recovery. Swimming at a pretty moderate pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back