Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a "putting it in the wrong spot" joke in there somewhere...

I've told people to put stuff away before, not too much problem with weights in the wrong spot fortunately.
If only there were more people like you. I'm a member of two different gyms - Anytime Fitness, and a dedicated powerlifting gym. It's crazy the difference between the two. The PL gym is spotless, every weight in its intended place, everyone respectful of each other. The AF gym I actually struggle to find weights sometimes, because literally nothing is in the right spot, and campaigners leave weights all over the floors

If only there were more people like you. I'm a member of two different gyms - Anytime Fitness, and a dedicated powerlifting gym. It's crazy the difference between the two. The PL gym is spotless, every weight in its intended place, everyone respectful of each other. The AF gym I actually struggle to find weights sometimes, because literally nothing is in the right spot, and campaigners leave weights all over the floors

Do you think it's newbies, or non gum regulars who do this?

I for one myself dont understand putting weights in illegitimate places. FFS weights are colour coded, easy to distinguish. Put them back where it's brothers/sisters are.

Also think bicep curls don’t take up a bench or those step things so it doesn’t “impact” on you/me generally. I swear I’ve had days where I’ve seen 5 benches all taken by people doing thrusts (and fair play to them, just not something I’ve seen before like 6 months ago)

Do you think it's a fad?

Do you think it's newbies, or non gum regulars who do this?

I for one myself dont understand putting weights in illegitimate places. FFS weights are colour coded, easy to distinguish. Put them back where it's brothers/sisters are.
From what I have seen, it's definitely not new guys. The worst culprits are the roid-abusing, string-width muscle shirt-wearing flogs. The "meat heads"

I realised you tried/failed, which is why i took the piss out of your response... I'm not worried about your lack of gains either, just pointing out the obvious reality of people wasting their time in the gym.

Intensity and focus are the most important factors for muscle gain. Free advice.

My pleasure.
So if i'm training a heavy day which requires more rest, lets say deads/squats/bench, for arguments sake 5x5's and have say 2/3 mins rest in between sets, what's the difference between me reading an email on my phone, reading an article, or god forbid check facebook, and staring blankly at the floor during that rest??? and how is that going to affect my.... "Gains"???

Seems another new “fad” is wrist straps. I know they’ve been around forever but I reckon 40-50% of the dudes I see in the gym now are wearing them, and these are boys not lifting heavy.

So question for those who might know, would you not be better off training any lifts that use your wrists in some way without straps? Isn’t this just keeping that joint weak whilst your other muscles and weight increase (I’m thinking mostly bench here)

So if i'm training a heavy day which requires more rest, lets say deads/squats/bench, for arguments sake 5x5's and have say 2/3 mins rest in between sets, what's the difference between me reading an email on my phone, reading an article, or god forbid check facebook, and staring blankly at the floor during that rest??? and how is that going to affect my.... "Gains"???

I'm generalising obviously. 99% of people wasting time on their phone aren't doing compounds movements.. if they are they're barely working hard enough for it to be worth while.

This is genuinely the most passive, doesnt really bother me but had gotten to the point it’s unavoidable to discuss.

Is every woman and half the men in the population now doing hip thrusters every day?
I've been doing them for years, although only once a week (got onto them from reading Bret Conteras as I was looking for glute exercises, to strengthen them and stop my back (with a bulging disc) trying to take over). When I first started doing them no one else at my then gym was and got a few looks. Two to three years ago started noticing some of the women doing them. Can't remember any blokes at my old gym doing them.

Now at a new gym this year and have seen a handful of women doing them. Similarly yet to see any other blokes doing them. Given they are useful for strengthening out of the hole on squats and lockouts on deadlifts I'd have thought more would do. I wouldn't say they are any more prevalent across social media / gym then 2 - 3 years ago.

IDGAF if anyone looking at me doing them thinks they are a 'girls only' move, I've had much less of my back playing up since I've been doing them. And bonus of I now have an arse, rather than a straight line from shoulders down (can't complain that my wife has had two of her friends pass onto her that they thought my behind looked good :D ).

I've been doing them for years, although only once a week (got onto them from reading Bret Conteras as I was looking for glute exercises, to strengthen them and stop my back (with a bulging disc) trying to take over). When I first started doing them no one else at my then gym was and got a few looks. Two to three years ago started noticing some of the women doing them. Can't remember any blokes at my old gym doing them.

Now at a new gym this year and have seen a handful of women doing them. Similarly yet to see any other blokes doing them. Given they are useful for strengthening out of the hole on squats and lockouts on deadlifts I'd have thought more would do. I wouldn't say they are any more prevalent across social media / gym then 2 - 3 years ago.

IDGAF if anyone looking at me doing them thinks they are a 'girls only' move, I've had much less of my back playing up since I've been doing them. And bonus of I now have an arse, rather than a straight line from shoulders down (can't complain that my wife has had two of her friends pass onto her that they thought my behind looked good :D ).

I think you are on the $. I also havent seen any males do this. Maybe it will catch on.
I like you dgaf attitude too. Gyms should be about non-judgement. If its helping you, its great!

Attending at a busy time first time. People are very good and respectful.

When it comes to rotating weights/machines and being mindful of surroundings younger people generally more respectful than these midlife crisis candidates.

Old dudes who think coz they go the same time everyday for 3 hours they're entitled to claim 3 or 4 pieces of equipment on rotation while doing a set every 5 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it comes to rotating weights/machines and being mindful of surroundings younger people generally more respectful than these midlife crisis candidates.

Old dudes who think coz they go the same time everyday for 3 hours they're entitled to claim 3 or 4 pieces of equipment on rotation while doing a set every 5 minutes.

Can you define old for me?

Can you define old for me?
The definition of "old" is always moving ie. old is somebody at least a decade older than me... I am 60 years young.

Although to my grandchildren I am ancient, they find it hard to grasp that when I was a child there were no mobile phones, no internet, no computers and television was very new to Australia + there were only a few channel choices, they say gee grand dad you must have been so bored with nothing to do.

AND looking at their phones while they take up valuable gym equipment.

Don't get me started on old people!

Always complaining about it being too cold in there, "Turn off the aircon me arthritis is playing up blah blah blah."

Always complaining about it being too cold in there, "Turn off the aircon me arthritis is playing up blah blah blah."
arthritis sucks.

Arthritis is Horrible.
Also, This coming from the guy who carries on whenever fans are on...

Anyone else finding the "new year/new me" crew are hanging on longer than previous years? Maybe because its "new decade/new me" but its March and my gym is still busy at 8-8.30pm now. This has not been the case for quite some time.
I'm at a new gym this year (starting around mid-January) and there's been a few 'in and out' resolutioners of people I saw at the start and don't anymore. At the time I'm there during the week (5.30am - 6.40am) there's a couple of middle aged bigger blokes and a few unfit looking middle aged women. They are either completely disregarding diet and just exercising (better than doing nothing) or they are resolutioners still hanging around. They tend to stick almost exclusively to machines, lighter dumbbells or fixed barbells, so they don't ever lead to rack contention, so hopefully they stick around and keep the fitness bug. If I went of an evening when it's busier I'd probably be cursing all of them.

I'm at a new gym this year (starting around mid-January) and there's been a few 'in and out' resolutioners of people I saw at the start and don't anymore. At the time I'm there during the week (5.30am - 6.40am) there's a couple of middle aged bigger blokes and a few unfit looking middle aged women. They are either completely disregarding diet and just exercising (better than doing nothing) or they are resolutioners still hanging around. They tend to stick almost exclusively to machines, lighter dumbbells or fixed barbells, so they don't ever lead to rack contention, so hopefully they stick around and keep the fitness bug. If I went of an evening when it's busier I'd probably be cursing all of them.

Not even really cursing them as such (the gym is definitely busier and some of the new comers haven’t quite nailed some of the unspoken etiquette bits and pieces yet) more pointing out the “new year, new me” crew are usually done by mid feb at the latest, now early March and I swear about 70% of them are still around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back