Not open for further replies.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
So i do sympathize with Dan Andrews somewhat, yes the government have shown incompetence, but people also haven't helped themselves.

also highlighted that you can’t have large amounts of workers on insecure casual contracts and expect them to stay home when they have a sniffle.

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
also highlighted that you can’t have large amounts of workers on insecure casual contracts and expect them to stay home when they have a sniffle.
That's dependent on if the person only had the sniffles, or in fact knew they had covid and stopped in anyway.
Also being on an insecure casual contract and going to work in Benalla, gives no bearing for the right to come from Metro Melbourne, stop in to see a family member and having brunch at a small town cafe.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
That's dependent on if the person only had the sniffles, or in fact knew they had covid and stopped in anyway.

I would still sympathise with them either way.
There‘s not really a correct choice when the options are:
1) don’t go into work and risk losing the work that keeps a roof over your family’s head
2) go into work and risk infecting others
If everyone who actually works full time hours was on a full time contract, and therefore their employment was secure, a lot of work place transmissions would have been avoided

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I would still sympathise with them either way.
There‘s not really a correct choice when the options are:
1) don’t go into work and risk losing the work that keeps a roof over your family’s head
2) go into work and risk infecting others
If everyone who actually works full time hours was on a full time contract, and therefore their employment was secure, a lot of work place transmissions would have been avoided
But don't you then qualify for government payments if you have covid and cant go in to work?
It's also extremely selfish to go into work, potentially infect others, and cause them to lose work and put a roof over there families head.

And again, doesn't excuse them stopping into a small town for brunch, infecting a family member and potentially shutting down a whole town.
So there, I can see why gyms could be closed for a long time, if Metro Melbourne residents feel the need to stop in to a cafe because they cant at home, i can definitely see them wanting to use the gym here on there way through to and from work, and considering apparently how contiguous it is.

Last edited:
Especially us out here, so many local businesses that survive on local support and staying open....

That being said, i'm here in Kilmore, where a Melbourne person was a positive case, stopped in to visited a family member in town on there way through, then decided to have brunch at a local cafe, in-turn infecting said family member and causing the small cafe to close down and deep clean...as you can imagine there's a fair bit of outrage in the fact that people can just be flat out stupid and selfish, could potentially lead to a whole spread of cases.

So i do sympathize with Dan Andrews somewhat, yes the government have shown incompetence, but people also haven't helped themselves.

People like to blame dan for their own actions such as going to the beach on the weekend. Yes its dans fault i got in the car, drove there and partied on wayne!

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
But don't you then qualify for government payments if you have covid and cant go in to work?

A lot of the casual work force would be made up of people ineligible for the payments.
That and the $1500 won't go very far if someone else takes you shift(s) and keeps them.

And again, doesn't excuse them stopping into a small town for brunch, infecting a family member and potentially shutting down a whole town.

Which is why I went out of my way NOT to quote that part of both your posts.
*edit*
I looked into it and it doesn't appear they knew they were +ve at the time (though still did the wrong thing by dining in)

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Especially us out here, so many local businesses that survive on local support and staying open....

That being said, i'm here in Kilmore, where a Melbourne person was a positive case, stopped in to visited a family member in town on there way through, then decided to have brunch at a local cafe, in-turn infecting said family member and causing the small cafe to close down and deep clean...as you can imagine there's a fair bit of outrage in the fact that people can just be flat out stupid and selfish, could potentially lead to a whole spread of cases.

I've been lucky my work has been affected but my hours haven't changed. I really feel for people whose careers (travel agents/ event organizers etc.) will change drastically in the near future.

Agree with your point on the selfishness of people, its a shame some of the good stories don't get as much airtime or have the impact as negative press does.

Whilst Andrews has tried his best to control us, the fact that he and his inept government let this virus get out of control i have zero sympathy for him.

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
A lot of the casual work force would be made up of people ineligible for the payments.
That and the $1500 won't go very far if someone else takes you shift(s) and keeps them.

Which is why I went out of my way NOT to quote that part of both your posts
All good, just a conversation.
I sympathise with that aspect for sure, but imagine infecting your work colleagues and causing them to lose money and income as well. Sacrifice the needs of a few for the good of the many.. Type conversatiion i guess

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
People like to blame dan for their own actions such as going to the beach on the weekend. Yes its dans fault i got in the car, drove there and partied on wayne!

We could all be doing that safely, like NSW, if Dan did his job properly. Through genomic testing the virus can be traced back to Hotel quarantine, its without doubt the biggest stuff by any government.

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I've been lucky my work has been affected but my hours haven't changed. I really feel for people whose careers (travel agents/ event organizers etc.) will change drastically in the near future.

Agree with your point on the selfishness of people, its a shame some of the good stories don't get as much airtime or have the impact as negative press does.

Whilst Andrews has tried his best to control us, the fact that he and his inept government let this virus get out of control i have zero sympathy for him.
Yeah i'm not a Dan Andrews apologist at all. But there is an equal case for the argument people haven't helped themselves, yes, hotel quarantine was an absolute debacle... But individuals are also to blame for consciously making selfish decisions while testing positive and spreading it themselves.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
All good, just a conversation.
I sympathise with that aspect for sure, but imagine infecting your work colleagues and causing them to lose money and income as well. Sacrifice the needs of a few for the good of the many.. Type conversatiion i guess

Human behaviour can be simplified into risk vs reward (as perceived by that individual, and almost always being biased towards their own benefit).
Unfortunately due to heavy casualisation we've created a scenario where for many people they perceive the risk of losing their job/money as outweighing the risk of passing on the infection/being fined for not self-isolating.
This doesn't absolve them of culpability, I just don't think it's particularly useful pointing the finger without trying to understand why the behaviour has occurred.
And clearly this only applies to people in this specific scenario. The people holding parties etc are just twats.

Anyway back to helping Deliverance with his calf raise problem!

Last edited:
We could all be doing that safely, like NSW, if Dan did his job properly. Through genomic testing the virus can be traced back to Hotel quarantine, its without doubt the biggest stuff by any government.
No argument from me on the hotel Q stuff up whatsoever.

But at some stage, people have to take responsibility for their own actions. Without a doubt, there is a small % that use "dan" as their reason for congregating or holding parties etc.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah i'm not a Dan Andrews apologist at all. But there is an equal case for the argument people haven't helped themselves, yes, hotel quarantine was an absolute debacle... But individuals are also to blame for consciously making selfish decisions while testing positive and spreading it themselves.
If Andrews had done Hotel Quarantine right people would have been fine and you'd all be safely at the gym like here in SA, so he deserves the full blame for that. However once it was ****ed up, it was/is up to all Victorians to do the right thing to undo that mess. When we see crowds flocking to the beach and other areas, ignoring distancing, because they've had a few restrictions unwound, I can sympathise with Dan Andrews and all Victorians doing the right thing now. I'm honestly surprised no one's been bashed yet for breaking COVID rules from frustrated people.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It is bullshit after doing the right thing for months and seeing people just doing whatever they want now while we are still under restrictions. If it comes back again things will just get worse and worse
It’s not like there hasn’t been stories or second and third waves overseas from lockdowns finishing too early. There’s no excuse of ignorance.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Andrews had done Hotel Quarantine right people would have been fine and you'd all be safely at the gym like here in SA, so he deserves the full blame for that. However once it was f’ed up, it was/is up to all Victorians to do the right thing to undo that mess. When we see crowds flocking to the beach and other areas, ignoring distancing, because they've had a few restrictions unwound, I can sympathise with Dan Andrews and all Victorians doing the right thing now. I'm honestly surprised no one's been bashed yet for breaking COVID rules from frustrated people.
The beach scenes appear to have been stage managed by channel 7. People were gathering in small groups as per the rules, prior to the news story according to witnesses.

The beach scenes appear to have been stage managed by channel 7. People were gathering in small groups as per the rules, prior to the news story according to witnesses.

Wow. If true then channel 7 must be fined. Wonder why the police haven’t been notified.

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I wouldnt bank on gyms opening anytime soon.
There was a meeting today with industry heads and the government.
The plan is to open up gyms in rural Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne at the same time, so it looks like it won't be until there are low if not 0 active cases. My guess is, the reasoning for this is how easy it was for mass hysteria over an active case going to a Cafe from melbourne, the risk for huge spread would be triple in a gym setting and gyms would be more likely a setting for people to try and sneak in.
And gyms are at the top of the list for high risk of community transmission, so will be the last to open up

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I wouldnt bank on gyms opening anytime soon.
There was a meeting today with industry heads and the government.
The plan is to open up gyms in rural Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne at the same time, so it looks like it won't be until there are low if not 0 active cases. My guess is, the reasoning for this is how easy it was for mass hysteria over an active case going to a Cafe from melbourne, the risk for huge spread would be triple in a gym setting and gyms would be more likely a setting for people to try and sneak in.
And gyms are at the top of the list for high risk of community transmission, so will be the last to open up

s**t news for everyone. Interesting NSW opened gyms in July (?), i can only recall one "outbreak" the media reported on but agree look at the 24/7 chain gyms aside from cancelling their security access based on their address, how could you stop someone living on the outer edges of metro Melbourne from driving 25 mins to regional VIC and going to the gym. Very particular scenario i know, but people will do it. Plus gyms that aren't staffed - social distancing/cleaning won't be as vigorous as staffed gyms.

sh*t news for everyone. Interesting NSW opened gyms in July (?), i can only recall one "outbreak" the media reported on but agree look at the 24/7 chain gyms aside from cancelling their security access based on their address, how could you stop someone living on the outer edges of metro Melbourne from driving 25 mins to regional VIC and going to the gym. Very particular scenario i know, but people will do it. Plus gyms that aren't staffed - social distancing/cleaning won't be as vigorous as staffed gyms.
well said

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
sh*t news for everyone. Interesting NSW opened gyms in July (?), i can only recall one "outbreak" the media reported on but agree look at the 24/7 chain gyms aside from cancelling their security access based on their address, how could you stop someone living on the outer edges of metro Melbourne from driving 25 mins to regional VIC and going to the gym. Very particular scenario i know, but people will do it. Plus gyms that aren't staffed - social distancing/cleaning won't be as vigorous as staffed gyms.
All very true. But even gyms, for instance like ours that are staffed 100% during opening hours. Its even the case of someone driving 25mins to regional victoria, standing around reception and potentially infecting the area before getting turned away, its a leisure centre so kids are running around etc. Easy to spread indoors.

Also on 24/7 chains, mail is they aren't going to be allowed to remain 24/7 unless they are staffed around the clock, will only be allowed to remain open of they have a gym instructor who doubles as a cleaner the whole time, or a 24/7 cleaner.

Last edited:

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Also on 24/7 chains, mail is they aren't allowed going to be allowed to remain 24/7 unless they are staffed around the clock, will only be allowed to remain open of they have a gym instructor who doubles as a cleaner the whole time, or a 24/7 cleaner.

pretty big change if it’s that case and it’s a long term thing

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All very true. But even gyms, for instance like ours that are staffed 100% during opening hours. Its even the case of someone driving 25mins to regional victoria, standing around reception and potentially infecting the area before getting turned away, its a leisure centre so kids are running around etc. Easy to spread indoors.

Also on 24/7 chains, mail is they aren't going to be allowed to remain 24/7 unless they are staffed around the clock, will only be allowed to remain open of they have a gym instructor who doubles as a cleaner the whole time, or a 24/7 cleaner.
Trust is easier to lose then earn in practise there. I’m at a 24/7 chain in SA and the unstaffed hours have remained unstaffed. Changes are every second cardio machine taped off, fans off, hand sanitiser. Mainly working on everyone is wiping down stuff after use (they’d get many dirty looks if they forgot) and people keeping distance voluntarily. Though my times are 5.25-6.40am Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and about 10 Sunday morning so not at peak time to see if people still behave when more about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back