Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust is easier to lose then earn in practise there. I’m at a 24/7 chain in SA and the unstaffed hours have remained unstaffed. Changes are every second cardio machine taped off, fans off, hand sanitiser. Mainly working on everyone is wiping down stuff after use (they’d get many dirty looks if they forgot) and people keeping distance voluntarily. Though my times are 5.25-6.40am Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and about 10 Sunday morning so not at peak time to see if people still behave when more about.
Thats handy, and great that everyone has been proactive. The same was definitely the case here when we opened in July, but we are also a community leisure centre, so patrons were doing every little thing they could so that we could remain open.
But I can't see 24/7 gyms remaining open unstaffed in VIC.
SA haven't had the outbreaks that Victoria had.
And Dan Andrews is our premier.

Dumbbell rolled into the ******* pool

Reminds me of this guy at my gym that walks laps of the pool, holding a 20kg plate above his head.

Normally I would love to say I wish/could drop kick him to the bottom of the pool.

I know my limitations, :$ he belongs to the 2nd Commando Regiment and literally built like a tank. Not a 'roid tank (though it wouldnt surprise me) he has functional muscle mass and cardio. lol. :p

Reminds me of this guy at my gym that walks laps of the pool, holding a 20kg plate above his head.

Normally I would love to say I wish/could drop kick him to the bottom of the pool.

I know my limitations, :$ he belongs to the 2nd Commando Regiment and literally built like a tank. Not a 'roid tank (though it wouldnt surprise me) he has functional muscle mass and cardio. lol. :p
walking around the pool? or literally in the water walking laps with weights above his head? if it's the latter, that's a boss manoeuver

walking around the pool? or literally in the water walking laps with weights above his head? if it's the latter, that's a boss manoeuver
Walking laps in the pool.

The irony is that no staff has ever said anything to him about it. Then again if you are serving your country, within reason of course he can do what he likes.

Walking laps in the pool.

The irony is that no staff has ever said anything to him about it. Then again if you are serving your country, within reason of course he can do what he likes.
as long as he doesn't let the water sit on the plates for too long to cause rust I don't see a problem, personally...

as long as he doesn't let the water sit on the plates for too long to cause rust I don't see a problem, personally...

The plate is held overhead the entire time, the guys is about 6ft4.

The problem is not really about someone who is competent that can do it, but rather the campaigner that cant, that tries it and drops the weight.

The plate is held overhead the entire time, the guys is about 6ft4.

The problem is not really about someone who is competent that can do it, but rather the campaigner that cant, that tries it and drops the weight.
true... it's still a thing most people wouldn't even consider doing, so I doubt you'd see anybody else doing it and if they did they'd quickly find out how bloody difficult it is haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SnakeMan86 has the goss but sounds like absolute best case scenario is 23/11, and given we’re well short of the benchmarks for our “next state” the odds of that being the date seem extremely low.

We had 10 weeks in Adelaide and I was fortunate to get a basic dumbbell/barbell kit to survive the gym apocalypse.

I can see some people quitting for good, its so hard to reboot your body.

We had 10 weeks in Adelaide and I was fortunate to get a basic dumbbell/barbell kit to survive the gym apocalypse.

I can see some people quitting for good, its so hard to reboot your body.

Yeah it only occurred to me the last few days, but depending on how many people re-uptake their normal level of physical activity you could potentially see some long term sedentary associated health problems.
I can remember that even working from home greatly reduced people’s incidental physical activity, and we‘re a pretty fat/inactive country as it is anyway.

Yeah it only occurred to me the last few days, but depending on how many people re-uptake their normal level of physical activity you could potentially see some long term sedentary associated health problems.
I can remember that even working from home greatly reduced people’s incidental physical activity, and we‘re a pretty fat/inactive country as it is anyway.

Thats also not taking into consideration the number of gyms to go belly up too.

Physios could be busy once gyms reopen, potential injuries from people not easing their way back into it?

I feel alot of people do walk though, so people who can't go to gyms likely would have decent cardiovascular fitness still though

Thats also not taking into consideration the number of gyms to go belly up too.
Wouldn't surprise me if there were a heap of membership price hikes

Derrimut put their's up to $10 a week at the start of 2020 for example (I was paying only $7pw for nearly 2.5 years before that) then 10 weeks later they had to shut, wouldn't surprise me if they made it $15pw (most commercial chains are $15-20pw

Physios could be busy once gyms reopen, potential injuries from people not easing their way back into it?

I feel alot of people do walk though, so people who can't go to gyms likely would have decent cardiovascular fitness still though

Wouldn't surprise me if there were a heap of membership price hikes

Derrimut put their's up to $10 a week at the start of 2020 for example (I was paying only $7pw for nearly 2.5 years before that) then 10 weeks later they had to shut, wouldn't surprise me if they made it $15pw (most commercial chains are $15-20pw

Considering the amount of money I waste on other crap in my life, I can justify a gym expense.

What that said, I know every person should be careful and frugal in this economic climate.

Its just with the gym, I get more mental/soul benefit of going to be honest. The physical gains are great and rather a bonus, but releasing that stress in a healthy way is most important to me.

I've been thinking for some time that lockdowns overall could damage the health of our society more than the virus.

probably not unless it coincides with sports returning (ie they’ll have lost more patients due to no sport than they’ll gain from gyms opening).
I know at the time of the first lock down the word was everyone was seeing an increase in running injuries from people taking that up instead of *insert banned activity here*

you need to do a shitload of walking to even come close to WHO exercise guidelines, and funnily enough resistance training seems to be a better protector against disease, illness etc not to mention sarcopenia as you get older.
I mean, walking is just something we should do. Wouldn’t really call it CV exercise if you’re under 65 and healthy.

you need to do a shitload of walking to even come close to WHO exercise guidelines, and funnily enough resistance training seems to be a better protector against disease, illness etc not to mention sarcopenia as you get older.
I mean, walking is just something we should do. Wouldn’t really call it CV exercise if you’re under 65 and healthy.

Agree.

Whenever I have time away from the gym, the return is deliberately slow and labored for good reason too.

Joints, tendons, ligaments, muscles, bones, all need time to acclimatize or re-acclimatize to training.

With re: Running, definitely need to be walking for at least a week or two after long breaks before getting into jogging/running again. In fact the worst thing you can do is actually push yourself when you return.

For that reason, I have always made it a point to enjoy and have some fun in the first week returning to any training.

I see walking less than exercise and more just a function of life

I’ve noticed a lot more people “running” mostly because people don’t have to wear a mask when doing it

Not the gym but my uni lecture notes keep referring to lactic acid in the context of humans producing it and it's giving me the shits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back