Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m intrigued, what do you mean?

We produce lactate (the base form of lactic acid).
Interestingly enough it (lactate) serves as a fatigue buffer as well which is the opposite of what most people think!

We produce lactate (the base form of lactic acid).
Interestingly enough it (lactate) serves as a fatigue buffer as well which is the opposite of what most people think!
My partners uni lecture says that lactic acid is created from pyruvic acid due to not having enough ATP available and is released into the blood stream. Is pyruvic similar to lactate?

Just heard her listening to something related and it’s worked into this discussion and now I’m involved, haha.

Is pyruvic similar to lactate

It probably depends on what you define as similar, but yeah pyruvate (CH3COCOO- as opposed to CH3COCOOH which is its acid form) is converted to lactate by NADH which is then used in glycolysis to meet energy demands when they exceed oxidative/aerobic capacity.

Build up of hydrogen ions and lack of oxygen isn't it?

We produce lactate and hydrogen atoms separately, but when the first research was done (and this was early 1900s on frog legs lol) they came to the (incorrect) conclusion that we were producing lactic acid which was then breaking down to lactate and a hydrogen ion.
We produce lactate even at rest, but it becomes a prime driver of anaerobic endurance and the more and better our body can utilise it the better our anaerobic endurance will be.

My partners uni lecture says that lactic acid is created from pyruvic acid due to not having enough ATP available and is released into the blood stream. Is pyruvic similar to lactate?

Just heard her listening to something related and it’s worked into this discussion and now I’m involved, haha.

I loved this topic at uni...

- So each glucose molecule that enters the glycolysis pathway (anaerobic metabolism) results in a final product of 2 pyruvate molecules (as well as a few ATP and NADH)

- From there pyruvate has one of two fates:
- (1) it can enter the Kreb's cycle (aerobic metabolism) after being converted into Acetyl-CoA and produce a bunch of ATP intermediates.
- or, (2) it can be turned into lactate by taking on H+ from NADH which then frees up the NAD to accept more H+ and keep glycolysis ticking over. So lactate serves as a buffer against H+ build-up (and therefore fatigue as Aeglos said).

- But too much lactate build-up will still slow glycolysis so efficient removal is important. Blood flow is key here as lactate can be transported to different muscles (that aren't working so hard) to be broken back into pyruvate - this is the rationale behind AFL players taking walks when they come to the bench (and behind compression garments designed to aid muscle pump blood flow)

When you don't have a bench press/rack set up as yet and have to do heavy dumbbell presses for your main chest lift

Thheeeennnnnnnn you give yourself a corkie when dismounting from your flat dumbbell press because you treat your equipment properly and not drop them like an ego lifting campaigner

Thheeeennnnn it bruises up over the week, but you do the same lift the next week, first heavy set in, bang, straight on the tender spot again

Ffs, this is gunna be a long 6-10 weeks

20201019_151528.jpg

Lel, seriously I don't think my right leg can take another whack to it for another week

Not gunna go heavier than just a tenner a side, but I can balance it out fine to a start/finish at least

Tried to set up a floor press using my bench, but the bench gap is too wide, so bar fell through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

go you pups could get on some landmine presses.

Yeah it was in my initial thinking when I ordered the landmine in July, forgot about that one though. I could hold a dumbbell in one hand too doing them like a unilateral-isometric combo

I have done a few standing two handed presses for accessory stuff to hit the clavicular area, but would like an attachment or two for that so I'm not getting in the way of the plates, only got a wide V grip attachment for rows that came with the landmine.

Anyways

Not the worst week to have a deload though, have had a solid month on the push, but am changing routine from legs, pull, push every other day to a 4-5 day split. Really need more rest between legs and back due to lower back compression (was thinking back Monday night, legs Friday morning etc would spread it out pretty well)

Monday: back and 1 arm grouping
Tuesday: cardio, core and calves
Wednesday: chest and 1 arm grouping
Thursday: cardio and core
Friday: legs
Saturday: shoulders and 1 arm grouping
Sunday rest or recovery walks/stretch etc

Working arms every 4-5 days doing this which I can manage easily training with different intensities (was thinking twice a week initially but could be overdoing it)

After a couple medium sets with 55 pounders (heavy enough to do corkie damage), pulled the pin and did 3 sets of 20 with the barbell then a few pushups.

Will hit shoulders and biceps Wednesday, legs Friday, have a tricep heavy push session Saturday (might do those landmine presses then) then will start new routine on Monday.

But yeah, if I'm still in danger of a dumbbell press corkie next Wednesday, then I'll strap up :p

20201019_175016.jpg

View attachment 989487

Lel, seriously I don't think my right leg can take another whack to it for another week

Not gunna go heavier than just a tenner a side, but I can balance it out fine to a start/finish at least

Tried to set up a floor press using my bench, but the bench gap is too wide, so bar fell through
Are you not bothered by the floor mats being out of alignment!?

Reminds me of this guy at my gym that walks laps of the pool, holding a 20kg plate above his head.

Normally I would love to say I wish/could drop kick him to the bottom of the pool.

I know my limitations, :$ he belongs to the 2nd Commando Regiment and literally built like a tank. Not a 'roid tank (though it wouldnt surprise me) he has functional muscle mass and cardio. lol. :p
That sounds very similar to the s**t the PTs used to do to us in the 90s.
I hated torsion bars for a long long time, now under lockdown I'm considering getting one.

Are you not bothered by the floor mats being out of alignment!?
Only a short term problem

Buying another 9 once restrictions ease and I can drive 70km across town to the shop in Dandenong I buy them from. Have a 3x2 set up currently, but will be 5x3 before Xmas. No point cutting the mats, will just grab a couple of bricks and align them up where they protrude out from the wall so the mats will stay in place.

Not my garage anyway, rental, the flogs didn't bother replacing the window they smashed before I moved in here a couple years ago, just patched it up with some sort of plastic...

Anyways

Wowee, just bought 150kg of bumpers and a squat rack

Unfortunately the ATX rack I wanted won't be available til well into next year now, so will just settle on something cheap but reasonable enough then put it up for sale on Gumtree once I upgrade.

Grab a full set of bands and the rest of the mats I need and I'm done in the medium term (aside from when I can get that ATX SSB)

Might only need that thigh guard for a week or two

Im self awarding Post of the Day on here to me.

There was only one free incline bench in the area which I needed to use today. However, I saw a towel and water bottle on it, so I proceeded to ask the guy who they belong to who was in another area of the gym doing ab exercises, "Are you using it as I need to use it?"

His response blew me away and I havent been blown away in the past. :drunk:

"Sure, I dont need to use it until for another 10-15 minutes".

----

Gyms are getting to the stage where I should bring about 4-5 belongings and just scatter across the gym depending on what day it is for me, ie Push/Pull/Leg.

Im actually getting to the stage of not giving a flying f**k and just using it, if there is no one around and I know they are doing another exercise in another area.

I know some people super set, but FFS in a Coronavirus world, you dont have the luxury anymore to use multiple pieces of equipment in different areas of the gym and call dibs on it for the next 20 minutes.

There was only one free incline bench in the area which I needed to use today. However, I saw a towel and water bottle on it, so I proceeded to ask the guy who they belong to who was in another area of the gym doing ab exercises, "Are you using it as I need to use it?"

----

Gyms are getting to the stage where I should bring about 4-5 belongings and just scatter across the gym depending on what day it is for me, ie Push/Pull/Leg.

Im actually getting to the stage of not giving a flying f**k and just using it, if there is no one around and I know they are doing another exercise in another area.

I know some people super set, but FFS in a Coronavirus world, you dont have the luxury anymore to use multiple pieces of equipment in different areas of the gym and call dibs on it for the next 20 minutes.
just cough on everything

----

Home gyms FTW boi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back