go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Are gyms open in Melbourne and Sydney?

Really want them for you campaigners to get back in there ASAP.

First few days when they reopen will be fu*king crazy, take that to the bank. It will be like January of every year.
Not in Melbourne mate, fair chance Sydney got preferential vax supply so are about 2-3 weeks ahead of us, they are at 74% double dosed currently, we won't open up until 80% double dosed, we will tick over 60% tomorrow I think

Apparently first week of November we will get there

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not in Melbourne mate, fair chance Sydney got preferential vax supply so are about 2-3 weeks ahead of us, they are at 74% double dosed currently, we won't open up until 80% double dosed, we will tick over 60% tomorrow I think

Apparently first week of November we will get there
FFS

Im so sorry thats just bullshit.

Im a little stunned whats happening in Melbourne and Sydney.

I genuinely feel for those guys that want to hit the gym but cant.

Its maybe not too bad for those that know they will go back, but Im talking about those that were in the early beginnings to mid stage of going to the gym then the virus hits.

Many wont return and its the kind of decision that will effect them for the rest of their lives.

Im not saying everyone should hit the gym, but I am saying EVERYONE must do some form of exercise. Be it walking, running, club sports, etc etc etc.

There is a very inspiring youtube clip by Joe Rogan I will post on here another time. In a nutshell it says your body is your vehicle for life and you need to treat it properly, exercise, sleep, diet etc etc etc.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You don't need to go overboard with anything just be reasonably consistent.
Diet, Sleep, Exercise.

Diet - just ensure you are eating the majority of your meals healthy. Its ok to occasionally indulge.

Sleep - The only one where I would ensure you get quality 7-8hrs. Non - Negotiable.

Exercise - 3-4x per week, for 30mins. Thats it. F**k me dead. You can do two of those sessions on the weekend if work/family is in the way.

Kram

I'll brik u
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I exercise nearly every day (swimming or running and some basic weights) and just enjoy it now, almost have to talk myself into having a day off..

Meals are usually good but eat a lot of extra garbage in between, even though I'm a lucky person that can mostly get away with it should try and cut back.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Was gunna train at 730 and I'm regularly a lazy campaigner on Mondays who suffers from Mondayitis, so training back first day of the week is a perfect way of easing my way into the week before my bread and butter harder chest and legs sessions later in the week as they are the only days that really matter at the moment. So yeah, totally forgot celebrity masterchef was on until it started (walked past the TV)

So from 745-830 or whatever, every ad break I'd do my warm up squats, set up my barbells for prone rows and barbell rows and the heavy band on the chinup bar for facepulls and standing pullovers, did a couple of quick sets of prone rows after 8 and waited for the show to finish.

Eventually blitzed it out for 20-25 minutes, just did a merry-go-round of prone row into standing pullover into bent over row into facepulls for about 15 minutes then did 2 cluster sets of 80lb db rows into serratus pushups to finish off.

If it were chest day, there'd be no coming back from this one, I'd consider it a write off, but at least for back, I've found a way of getting into the zone through hypertrophy short rest interval type of sessions.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Was gunna train at 730 and I'm regularly a lazy campaigner on Mondays who suffers from Mondayitis,
Im a lazy f**k most days. Mind you generally speaking I train 6/7 days per week.

t take pre-workouts just to get motivated to get ready and convince myself that all I need is 30mins. :drunk: Ok, lets be realistic, its only some days I feel like this and its usually after I complete a PUSH/PULL/LEGS cycle. I set this as my absolute minimum weekly effort, 1 cycle. The 2nd cycle can be a bit hard, so I do tend to cut myself some slack and maybe ease off here and there. Sometimes the 2nd cycle is enjoyable, sometimes hard. I try and make it fun and enjoy it as they hard work was accomplished when I did one cycle.

Naturally when I am there and completed my warm up, its game over for my laziness/tiredness I hit my full stride and do great workouts.

Mind you this is separate from feeling genuinely like crap be it physically or mentally or even CNS fatigue. Then I will rest no matter what, day off, no questions asked.

If I dont sleep well for two nights in a row, I may take the gym off. Its a lot of physical and mental stress for the body to handle on top of poor sleep.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Im a lazy f**k most days. Mind you generally speaking I train 6/7 days per week.

t take pre-workouts just to get motivated to get ready and convince myself that all I need is 30mins. :drunk: Ok, lets be realistic, its only some days I feel like this and its usually after I complete a PUSH/PULL/LEGS cycle. I set this as my absolute minimum weekly effort, 1 cycle. The 2nd cycle can be a bit hard, so I do tend to cut myself some slack and maybe ease off here and there. Sometimes the 2nd cycle is enjoyable, sometimes hard. I try and make it fun and enjoy it as they hard work was accomplished when I did one cycle.

Naturally when I am there and completed my warm up, its game over for my laziness/tiredness I hit my full stride and do great workouts.

Mind you this is separate from feeling genuinely like crap be it physically or mentally or even CNS fatigue. Then I will rest no matter what, day off, no questions asked.

If I dont sleep well for two nights in a row, I may take the gym off. Its a lot of physical and mental stress for the body to handle on top of poor sleep.
Monday trainings when I have a Sunday/weekend off are generally the worst, though I've always been that way. Used to sh*t me to tears when I was 17-18 and cbf on a Monday cos school/work etc got to me and all I wanted to do was snooze it off (eventually started doing that and trained late after peak hour once I got my Ps/car which helped, but I was 19 when I got those), but then I had cricket/footy training on the Tuesday so Monday gym was always a non-negotiable, twas probably one of the reasons it took me a good 4 years to bench 100kgs consistently due to training chest most Mondays for ages for inconsistent results (started 2004, hit that weight in 2008). It was 100% a mental issue though, so yeah, training back where I can ease into it and go hard towards the end of my session if needed I feel is the best way to start the cycle on a Monday.

I seem to get the most out of Monday sessions if it's in the middle of my workout week, say if I have a Thursday or a Friday off (Friday or Saturday being day 1). Dunno why, but Friday's and Saturday's just seem to be among my favourite training days which I'm normally up for, particularly Saturday's.

I try and stay away from stimulants later in the day, though I will lean to them earlier in the day if I have a pretty empty stomach or if I definitely need a boost if I feel a bit flat or if I've had a few average workouts where I know I could've gone harder. A tablespoon of coffee or a can of RB/V is the most I'll have, my pre workout days were 10 years ago, did enjoy jack3d, but I reckon it was just a gym brah phase I was going through.

Struggled sleeping last few days (DOMS can make me toss and turn some nights and I had huge DOMS on Thursday/Friday after my big bench day on Wednesday), so yeah winding down can be tough, no doubt caffeine may have an effect on that some days though.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Did a weekend of landscaping and still did a workout Saturday.

Absolutely ******* cooked now, i have no idea how tradies do a full day and then gym.
Going in to Brunswick Dohertys at 11-12 at night after a 11-14 hour stint in the kitchen that was a minimum lunch and dinner, if not brekky, lunch and dinner I generally was pretty hyped for, though I was 19-22 at the time.

But if I'd go to gym late arvo/early evening after just a standard day shift, it was pretty hit or miss how I'd feel. Just weird how it was like that, these days I hate training after lunch like in that 130-3pm window if I've got the time to get it in then, gotta be well after 3pm. Could be an insulin spike/fall kinda thing, but I've had a heap of quality late night sessions after eating tea where I've had no comedowns.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Going in to Brunswick Dohertys at 11-12 at night after a 11-14 hour stint in the kitchen that was a minimum lunch and dinner, if not brekky, lunch and dinner I generally was pretty hyped for, though I was 19-22 at the time.

But if I'd go to gym late arvo/early evening after just a standard day shift, it was pretty hit or miss how I'd feel. Just weird how it was like that, these days I hate training after lunch like in that 130-3pm window if I've got the time to get it in then, gotta be well after 3pm. Could be an insulin spike/fall kinda thing, but I've had a heap of quality late night sessions after eating tea where I've had no comedowns.
Oh i can train on an empty stomach and even some days after doing some physical stuff but a full day landscaping on a shovel and barrow... No idea how the body holds up. Maybe when i was 18

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh i can train on an empty stomach and even some days after doing some physical stuff but a full day landscaping on a shovel and barrow... No idea how the body holds up. Maybe when i was 18
For me it depends on how long I am training for.

Sure I could do an intense 30-45 mins, then game over.

Given my training goes for almost 1.5 to 2hrs, I need something in my system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Felt bad for this chick today, all 6 of the cages were taken up.

She just waited and waited and waited. Genuinely believe she waited about 30+ mins for one to free up.

To be fair there was no gym f**kery going on, usually Im the campaigner, warming up the longest in the cage. Not today though.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have seen this very rarely at my gym, while I obviously prefer they didnt I dont care. I definitely wouldnt say anything.

In any case IMO its the gym's staff responsibility to police these things.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

I have seen this very rarely at my gym, while I obviously prefer they didnt I dont care. I definitely wouldnt say anything.

In any case IMO its the gym's staff responsibility to police these things.
Id probably look and have a chuckle at the w***er but beyond that i wouldnt care.

Ive absolutely lifted the shirt for a selife to send the wife (or before the wife whoever) but taking your shirt all the way off for a workout in a commercial gym is a pretty wanky move.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There’s a bit of look at me when shirtless gyming. But don’t think I’d go to extent of abusing shirtless person.
For me the moment you need to resort to abusing a person in the gym, is the time that your gym membership is going to come into question.

Thats not to say you never stand up for yourself or take sh*t, but there is a time and place for everything.

Ive seen all sorts of gym f**kery and douchebags at the gym over the years and never said anything so it would have be something that extremely bothered me to say something, even then I probably would approach management first.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
For me the moment you need to resort to abusing a person in the gym, is the time that your gym membership is going to come into question.

Thats not to say you never stand up for yourself or take sh*t, but there is a time and place for everything.

Ive seen all sorts of gym f**kery and douchebags at the gym over the years and never said anything so it would have be something that extremely bothered me to say something, even then I probably would approach management first.
This.

Also as much as i think its douchey to not wear a shirt at a commercial gym (i never wear one at home, just more washing) it doesnt affect me in the slightest.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond

This.

Also as much as i think its douchey to not wear a shirt at a commercial gym (i never wear one at home, just more washing) it doesnt affect me in the slightest.
Im not sure about dress code at your gyms, or mine for that matter, but yeah if it says wear a shirt then wear a shirt. people complain all the time about a business/club dress code, but hey if u dont like it there are other places you can frequent.

and agreement on persons abusing others. but they probably dont realise their behaviour is unbecoming. i think gyms are generally a place where judgement is left at the door, and mutual respect is high

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Im not sure about dress code at your gyms, or mine for that matter, but yeah if it says wear a shirt then wear a shirt. people complain all the time about a business/club dress code, but hey if u dont like it there are other places you can frequent.

and agreement on persons abusing others. but they probably dont realise their behaviour is unbecoming. i think gyms are generally a place where judgement is left at the door, and mutual respect is high
As in the person NOT wearing the shirt doesnt realise?

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
both. abuser and non shirter
As I said I have seen all sorts of dumb sh*t in the gym over the years.

I got quietly pissed off, but never say or do anything.

People are either stupid, dont care or unaware. I suspect its all three.
I think someone abusing a fellow gym patron (especially in the way that bloke did, calling him a f****t) is well aware he is unbecoming.
This did the rounds on the net a few years back. The abuser was a f**kwit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad