Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
As I said I have seen all sorts of dumb sh*t in the gym over the years.

I got quietly pissed off, but never say or do anything.

People are either stupid, dont care or unaware. I suspect its all three.
I do think more and more people are less concerned about their actions impacting on others. Were more and more disconnected from the physical world and just in our own little zone.

Weve had this discussion before about big lads dumping heavy weights and grunting and how intimidating that can be to other gym goers. Some were adamant its their god given right to carry on like a flog and other be damned.

Id say most of the time if you approach someone with respect and ask if they could do X theyll generally comply cause they didnt even realise it was an issue, id say this shirtless bloke is the same "Hey mate, could you chuck a shirt on, youre making a few other uncomfortable" is very different to "PUT A ******* SHIRT ON YOU F****T"

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
thats all kinds of wtf. my back hurt watching the knob kick the bar

also how do you assess his form?
His form is perfect.

Very impressive for a kid.

The adult male is just a wannabe alpha male, such a b*tch taking on a kid with that tough guy attitude. If he tried that on a guy maybe a few years older he would have stood up to him and dropped him.

Kid deserves a lot of credit for standing his ground, its intimidating when someone has that f**ked up attitude.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I do think more and more people are less concerned about their actions impacting on others. Were more and more disconnected from the physical world and just in our own little zone.

Weve had this discussion before about big lads dumping heavy weights and grunting and how intimidating that can be to other gym goers. Some were adamant its their god given right to carry on like a flog and other be damned.

Id say most of the time if you approach someone with respect and ask if they could do X theyll generally comply cause they didnt even realise it was an issue, id say this shirtless bloke is the same "Hey mate, could you chuck a shirt on, youre making a few other uncomfortable" is very different to "PUT A ******* SHIRT ON YOU F****T"
I go in with the attitude of respecting everyone.

Mind you if I see gym f**kery and I need to use equipment, I wont have a problem of asking if someone is finished or how many sets left.

We sometimes have kids around 15-18 hit the gym, there is a bit of f**king around, showing off etc etc, but laugh at it as it reminds me of my time when I was younger. I mean I dont care what they do if they dont interfere directly with my workout.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
I go in with the attitude of respecting everyone.

Mind you if I see gym f**kery and I need to use equipment, I wont have a problem of asking if someone is finished or how many sets left.

We sometimes have kids around 15-18 hit the gym, there is a bit of f**king around, showing off etc etc, but laugh at it as it reminds me of my time when I was younger. I mean I dont care what they do if they dont interfere directly with my workout.
I was never like that thankfully

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
had about 2 hours sleep last night. the deadshit in the gym this evening might be me
I had just 4.

I normally weigh up everything before deciding to go or not go, most times I would go.

While physically Im ok, mentally Im shot and not going in. If I go and push myself hard, I know it could end up fatiguing me in a negative manner.

Probably twice now in the past 3 months, I have had only one PUSH/PULL/LEGS cycle in a week. Normally I do two with a day off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I never did it at a "gym" ive always trained alone but from 15-21 i did most of my gym work at the footy club gym and we ALL did it.
True, when youre at that dipsh*t age of around 18, you do dumb/silly/funny things.

Which is why when I see the kids do it, it gives me a good laugh to myself.

The only time I "exert" myself is if I definitely need to use some equipment and I will just ask them politely in any case.

Last edited:

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is pretty much my no1 rule- no gym on a Monday, ever.
-insert obvs joke about LD here-

I like it.
Ironically if youre going to take a day off, Monday would be it.

Very crazy, fast paced and chaotic.

I love Sunday workouts. You sometimes get a sweet spot, when there is no one there and all the equipment is just sitting there waiting for you.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sunday is my absolute favorite day to go gym.
If today was Sunday, I probably 100% would have gone in. :drunk:

Being Leg day probably compounded it, while I like it, its obviously not my favourite day that coupled with not being in the right head space, made it a no brainer to not go in.

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
With swimming I'll massively go out of my way to go during quiet times. ie. Early Sunday morning (but not TOO early cos there are still some freaks that go super early), or late Friday nights are probably the best times.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
With swimming I'll massively go out of my way to go during quiet times. ie. Early Sunday morning (but not TOO early cos there are still some freaks that go super early), or late Friday nights are probably the best times.
Swimming has to rate as one of the most peaceful exercises you can ever do especially when your lane is empty.

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Swimming has to rate as one of the most peaceful exercises you can ever do especially when your lane is empty.
There is nowhere I love more than on a 30+ degree day, getting to the pool about 9.30am + doing my laps in the sunshine. Then getting the hell out of there before the families start to arrive.

I love swimming, I wish I had my own pool.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns
There’s a bit of look at me when shirtless gyming. But don’t think I’d go to extent of abusing shirtless person.

There's a bit of look at me in gyming in general. Very few are at the gym purely to keep fit. For the rest there's a small to a huge amount of appearance and body image in play.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's a bit of look at me in gyming in general. Very few are at the gym purely to keep fit. For the rest there's a small to a huge amount of appearance and body image in play.
Both sexes definitely, maybe a bit higher percentage with the women depending on the gym of course.

I 100% understand why its an intimidating place for someone just starting or out of shape. Its actually a horrible place to start from less than ground zero.

Which is why I have believed, if you have never exercised before, going for long walks and also buying some 2-5kgs dumbbells for home use is how you begin, then the next step is the gym.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad