Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things:
- that bloke walking around like he wants to fight everybody. Certain gyms attract these characters more than others.
- person who starts clapping chalk everywhere and doesn’t clean the subsequent mess
- when you ask somebody how many sets they have left and then they purposely take a lot more time to finish the last 2 sets.
- someone using horrible form on deadlifts

Horrible form on deadlifts is one exercise I dont mind.

It will almost likely mean, one less person coming to the gym in the future.:drunk:

Had a newbies alert this week.

3 new guys come into the gym, the "expert" of the three is giving a masterclass of how to do each exercise. Nothing wrong in that, if in fact he knew what he was doing.

The fact that the two other guys had never been into a gym before and the "expert" is adding weight to each set they are doing, speaks volumes of his expertise.

The irony of all of this, is the one exercise you can go a bit heavy with terrible technique but still think you are strong without actually hurting yourself, ie bicep curls, they actually went light. Go figure.

Got the newbies coming in from 4th Jan and then 11th Jan... seems to drop off in terms of patronage as the week goes on, strangely... so many people with absolutely no idea what they're doing... I'm always torn on whether I should help them or let them struggle through it...

Plenty of dropping of weights as people use a bench but clearly overload their capability
Weight plates never taken off the active pins
Weight plates in strange order on the inactive pins (e.g. a 2.5kg will be hidden behind a 20, a 15 and two other 20's)... just dumb.
Slamming weights on pin-loaded machines etc.
People not understanding basic etiquette, e.g. when to ask questions about sets remaining, when to pay attention to where you're walking, where to keep the benches/equipment etc.

The most amazing thing is the people who don't wipe their sweat off a machine... surely this stuff should be second nature after 8 months of lockdown due to a virus....

I dont think I've mentioned this.. but that awkward moment when you get to the water fountain at sortofthesametime as someone else and its like.. you go, no you.. no you...
*en annoys the hell outta me.

Also dudes (cause its usually them) who dont bring water bottles and go to the stupid water fountain 234 times during their workout, instead of 1 or 2.

I dont think I've ever asked, anyone, about "sets", period.

I'll just find something else to do.
yeah, people definitely do this a lot... but when it's flat out this strategy can lead to 15+ minutes waiting around for 1 bit of equipment.

But if you're going to ask, you do it in between sets instead of while they're doing an exercise haha

yeah, people definitely do this a lot... but when it's flat out this strategy can lead to 15+ minutes waiting around for 1 bit of equipment.

But if you're going to ask, you do it in between sets instead of while they're doing an exercise haha

Kinda like.. not talk during someones back swing in golf.

I agree.

I dont think I've mentioned this.. but that awkward moment when you get to the water fountain at sortofthesametime as someone else and its like.. you go, no you.. no you...
fu**en annoys the hell outta me.

Also dudes (cause its usually them) who dont bring water bottles and go to the stupid water fountain 234 times during their workout, instead of 1 or 2.
Just like the same dance that happens when you're walking down the street and the person in front of you does the opposite move at the same time and you sync up... painful haha

Yeah, newbies are seemingly the only ones consistently without a water bottle... The fountain gets seriously sparsely attended as the newbies filter out haha

Got the newbies coming in from 4th Jan and then 11th Jan... seems to drop off in terms of patronage as the week goes on, strangely... so many people with absolutely no idea what they're doing... I'm always torn on whether I should help them or let them struggle through it...

Plenty of dropping of weights as people use a bench but clearly overload their capability
Weight plates in strange order on the inactive pins (e.g. a 2.5kg will be hidden behind a 20, a 15 and two other 20's)... just dumb.
People not understanding basic etiquette, e.g. when to ask questions about sets remaining, when to pay attention to where you're walking, where to keep the benches/equipment etc.

The most amazing thing is the people who don't wipe their sweat off a machine... surely this stuff should be second nature after 8 months of lockdown due to a virus....

Ive had more respect for 'roid users of the years having 'roid rage. Probably some newbie f**ked up his "temple" and he lost it.

Glad you mentioned slamming the weights on the pin-loaded machine. F**k me, I almost lost my s**t today, when I got a jolt from the guy that did it. Newbie of course. What else would you expect.

I cant understand in 2021, how stupid people can be in the gym, in thinking from Day 1 (probably the first time in a gym) their mantra is go hard or go home. The number of newbies I see overload weights thinking thats the key to getting big. Ironically my fav time at the gym is after a lay off or resting for a few weeks, I always have gone in with light weights for every exercise, as you need to give your body time to re-acclimatize to training. With newbies, all jokes aside, they should be practicing form with almost no weight for the first week or two.

Basic etiquette? lol. Gyms have become like Thunderdome. No rules, every man for themselves.

Hang in there, by February it will be dead in the gym. Hell usually before the end of the 3rd week of January. The biggest mistakes newbies make is not asking a mate for advice about basic things of what to do. By mate, I mean someone who looks like they know how to workout properly and done it for a few years.

Hell, they dont even need a mate, there is 100s of youtube videos of how to educate yourself. There is even basic ones to make it less daunting than what it really is. As a newbie, just doing body weight exercises for 3 months, will get you awesome gains without picking up a single dumbbell.

If its a guy, you should always go first. It makes it easier. Almost all guys would prefer this.

Just like the same dance that happens when you're walking down the street and the person in front of you does the opposite move at the same time and you sync up... painful haha

Yeah, newbies are seemingly the only ones consistently without a water bottle... The fountain gets seriously sparsely attended as the newbies filter out haha

I prepare an Intra workout drink at home for every gym session. So I never use the gym fountain.

TBH in 2021, the drink fountain would be the last place I would want to get a drink.

I prepare an Intra workout drink at home for every gym session. So I never use the gym fountain.

TBH in 2021, the drink fountain would be the last place I would want to get a drink.
I see your point of view, but the fountain isn't that bad from what I've seen... people holding their bottle away from the lip of the spout like you should. As long as everybody (eek) does this, then it shouldn't be an issue... haha #optimism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to ask people at the end of their sets, how many they have left? As I had a strict routine that had to be religiously followed.

Now I use the opportunity to build muscle and strength, if the order is changed up. Meaning I can go stronger on doing some exercises earlier in the workout.

Mind you I have seen some guys, start with abs and calves, then proceed with other leg exercises. I almost had a 'roid rage when I saw this, gym fcukery.

I see your point of view, but the fountain isn't that bad from what I've seen... people holding their bottle away from the lip of the spout like you should. As long as everybody (eek) does this, then it shouldn't be an issue... haha #optimism
In theory yes.

But are you not worried about touching the same surface that another user before you? No one ever washes a fountain after use.

People still drink straight out of the fountain at my gym.

Serenity now.

In theory yes.

But are you not worried about touching the same surface that another user before you? No one ever washes a fountain after use.

People still drink straight out of the fountain at my gym.

Serenity now.
I guess my gym is smarter... there's a u-shaped pipe with a press-button with hand sanitizer right next to it that's for filling up bottles and a separate "water fountain" spout thingy on the same setup, but obviously not touching each other, which means you only touch one of the buttons, fill up and wash... assuming the spout itself is clean, the process is safe.

I guess my gym is smarter... there's a u-shaped pipe with a press-button with hand sanitizer right next to it that's for filling up bottles and a separate "water fountain" spout thingy on the same setup, but obviously not touching each other, which means you only touch one of the buttons, fill up and wash... assuming the spout itself is clean, the process is safe.

My gym is 24/7, so some guy taking a piss at the fountain at 3am because he is too lazy to go to the toilet, wouldnt surprise me.:drunk:

The video surveillance of 24/7 gyms must be interesting at times. Surely.

All jokes aside, the gym is actually fairly decent in terms of being clean and weight not laying everywhere. Its almost always, tidy whenever I rock up.

My gym is 24/7, so some guy taking a piss at the fountain at 3am because he is too lazy to go to the toilet, wouldnt surprise me.:drunk:

The video surveillance of 24/7 gyms must be interesting at times. Surely.

All jokes aside, the gym is actually fairly decent in terms of being clean and weight not laying everywhere. Its almost always, tidy whenever I rock up.
mine is 24/7 too... and I'm on here listing just some of the incompetencies of newbies... I'm probably taking a risk even being there, but an acceptable one to me.

mine is 24/7 too... and I'm on here listing just some of the incompetencies of newbies... I'm probably taking a risk even being there, but an acceptable one to me.

In fairness if it wasnt for newbies rocking up for a few weeks then disappearing for the rest of the year, gyms would be charging a lot higher rates.

For gym owners, the perfect gym user is the one that comes on the rare occasion but has signed up with a direct debit.

I assume most people who don't wipe sweat off machines are athletes and are used to rubbing up against sweaty people on the court/field.

haha really? most people who don't wipe after themselves I wouldn't class as "athlete"...
Haha, fair point. Maybe I should've said, people who play sport. I mean if you're spending two hours on a Saturday rolling in mud and tackling, you're probably not gonna worry too much about a bit of perspiration on the bench at the gym.

Haha, fair point. Maybe I should've said, people who play sport. I mean if you're spending two hours on a Saturday rolling in mud and tackling, you're probably not gonna worry too much about a bit of perspiration on the bench at the gym.
that logic would hold if we weren't currently in a pandemic and all sports have extra rules people have to follow to continue to play during the pandemic haha

that logic would hold if we weren't currently in a pandemic and all sports have extra rules people have to follow to continue to play during the pandemic haha
Yeah, but if you're in a gym currently you're not concerned about covid. The main transmission path is aerosol by a mile. Wiping it down to prevent covid is like pissing in bass Strait to raise the level.

Yeah, but if you're in a gym currently you're not concerned about covid. The main transmission path is aerosol by a mile. Wiping it down to prevent covid is like pissing in bass Strait to raise the level.
I appreciate your point, but you've just slightly oversimplified the problem ahhaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back