Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footscray Road.
The climbing wall is still open, but I use the chin up bar plus platforms for incline push ups.
Throw in some cycling hill climbs before and after and it's a decent 45 minute escape from work. Have a gig for the long weekend I need to look good for so that's good motivations for the next month.
How will you do leg press

PTs Ive found is a divisive discussion topic in the past. Many gym veterans and the like do not believe it provides overall benefits etc.
I've been doing semi-private PT sessions (1-2 others with me doing the same program) the last year and a half and it's been an absolute game changer for me. Learned so much more about recovery, mass building, targeting muscle groups, etc. Helps that my PT is ridiculously good at what he does, and is a state-level lifter, rather than some random who went to TAFE to get their cert for the sake of it. I'd be in a far better position to go it alone now, but I absolutely advocate for any beginner to start off with a PT (or very knowledgeable gym buddy) to get them started. Wish I'd done it sooner rather than spending years doing sub-standard workouts and failing to focus on proper recovery.

I know Im not entitled to a 'roid rage given our gyms are open in SA, but FFS I cant stand old overweight men at gyms that use their body weight to move weights, specifically on the cable machines with zero form and poor range of motion, then prance around thinking they are strong.

The funny thing is that he was "lifting heavy" and only rested like 10-20s between sets. I guess being overweight has its benefits. :think:

My routine today was thrown out of whack because some old fat arse decided to do about 5 different types of exercises on the cable machines, one after the other for about 45 minutes.

I know Im not entitled to a 'roid rage given our gyms are open in SA, but FFS I cant stand old overweight men at gyms that use their body weight to move weights, specifically on the cable machines with zero form and poor range of motion, then prance around thinking they are strong.

The funny thing is that he was "lifting heavy" and only rested like 10-20s between sets. I guess being overweight has its benefits. :think:

My routine today was thrown out of whack because some old fat arse decided to do about 5 different types of exercises on the cable machines, one after the other for about 45 minutes.
This shits me to tears. Anyone can gain 40kg+ of extra fat and become significantly stronger. No, squatting 200kg at 130kg bodyweight isn't impressive. The most out of shape "fat buff" dudes are always the most obnoxious and spend the most time strutting around the gym making sure everyone sees them

This shits me to tears. Anyone can gain 40kg+ of extra fat and become significantly stronger. No, squatting 200kg at 130kg bodyweight isn't impressive. The most out of shape "fat buff" dudes are always the most obnoxious and spend the most time strutting around the gym making sure everyone sees them

The real kicker, is that I bet these guys view themselves as muscular and fit. I notice these guys have the shape body shape for years (probably most of their lives) under the delusion that they are "healthy" as they go to the gym several times a week. Not realising that their diet is more important than lifting heavy weight incorrectly.

Squats>>>>>>>Leg Press

Glory be, it reminds me the other day, I went to increase my bench press by adding an extra kilo on each side.

I missed on these plates because a newbie decided to add 1 kilo to each side while doing the leg press. A machine where people deliberately show off and stack as many 20kgs plates on as possible, this newb decided to add 1kg weights to each side. While I applaud him for not ego lifting, I thought to myself adding an extra kilo to each side on a leg press is going to literally do sweet f**k all.

The real kicker, is that I bet these guys view themselves as muscular and fit. I notice these guys have the shape body shape for years (probably most of their lives) under the delusion that they are "healthy" as they go to the gym several times a week. Not realising that their diet is more important than lifting heavy weight incorrectly.
IPF_World_Champion_Dean_Bowring_performing_the_three_Powerlifting_moves.jpg

that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squatting 200kg is impressive

Classified between advanced and elite for someone 125kg on the exrx strength standards table
XGNK8px.png
Those are some VERY low standards tbh. I have leg issues relating to arthritis, and squats are by far my weakest lift, yet according to those tables my lift is between intermediate and advanced level. If the reference point is the average person, then maybe it's impressive, but not to anyone who regularly works out

Those are some VERY low standards tbh. I have leg issues relating to arthritis, and squats are by far my weakest lift, yet according to those tables my lift is between intermediate and advanced level. If the reference point is the average person, then maybe it's impressive, but not to anyone who regularly works out
If you think it's a cake walk for everyone at 130kg bodyweight to get to a 200kg squat you're absolutely deluded

If you think it's a cake walk for everyone at 130kg bodyweight to get to a 200kg squat you're absolutely deluded
Did I say that? I said it's not impressive. A beginner isn't going to do it, but you don't need to be an experienced or skilled lifter to hit that weight at that size. I've witnessed a 90kg bodyweight dude hit a 300kg squat, so I struggle to find an overweight dude squatting barely 1.5x bodyweight very impressive

Did I say that? I said it's not impressive. A beginner isn't going to do it, but you don't need to be an experienced or skilled lifter to hit that weight at that size. I've witnessed a 90kg bodyweight dude hit a 300kg squat, so I struggle to find an overweight dude squatting barely 1.5x bodyweight very impressive
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, to me (barring genetic freaks) getting to a 4 plate squat demonstrates a genuine commitment to weight training that isn't to be sneezed at. And given the amount of flogish douchbaggery and time wasting I see from PTs and other half witted troglodytes in most gyms there's something to be said for people who go in and grind out numbers on the big compound lifts. Then again none of my mates are ripping out triple bodyweight squats, so maybe that explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back