Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well youre saying shes over the hill at 30. I'm 40.
I didnt say she is over the hill. I was commenting on the attention she had lost compared to two 20 year olds.

It happens to everyone as they get older. The only difference is that with "some" guys they get away with it because they are rich or in a position of power.

You shouldnt.

For all you know, every on on here is in their 50s, overweight and playing video games all day and night and post in between plays.

/i wasnt talking about you with that post the other guy.

But i am very lonely and if guys thing women are over the hill at 30 im in a bit of trouble

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Glory be, I thought I was the only one that rated their workout lol.

I genuinely rate every workout in my head at the end of each. If I am having a bad one, I try and make sure that for at least one set for each muscle group I inflict muscle damage to get the stimuli happening. :drunk:
Form, feel and ******* no ego is my training in a nutshell

But yeah, was an ok workout, got through my db rows quickly, needed a bit more time on the old meadows
I have started to embrace bad form. My perspective has changed it means either they are likely to get injured and not be in the gym or not get the desired change in their body and give up and also not be in the gym.

I was shocked today, fairly quiet day. Newbies must have left its almost March I guess.
I assume you've embraced it as a keen observer

Yeah them on off types will be back in September or October, gotta look good for summer brah

e35c23ee4795fccbf9a2a6698b8464b50807d354.gif

But i am very lonely and if guys thing women are over the hill at 30 im in a bit of trouble
No your not over the hill at 40.

Youre not in trouble.

As everyone gets older, the age of which people that are attracted to them changes.

A 20 year old girl, will always get attention from a wide age group. Right or wrong, thats the way it is.

Lets not forget as I said, the girl in her 30s is not the most friendly to begin with. That also plays a major role.

I would rather a grandma be at reception if she was helpful.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Absolutely not mate, hang in there it can all turn around really quickly.

No your not over the hill at 40.

Youre not in trouble.

As everyone gets older, the age of which people that are attracted to them changes.

A 20 year old girl, will always get attention from a wide age group. Right or wrong, thats the way it is.

Lets not forget as I said, the girl in her 30s is not the most friendly to begin with. That also plays a major role.

I would rather a grandma be at reception if she was helpful.

*not talking to you per say. Just talking in general.

But cheers

Form, feel and ******* no ego is my training in a nutshell

But yeah, was an ok workout, got through my db rows quickly, needed a bit more time on the old meadows

I assume you've embraced it as a keen observer

Yeah them on off types will be back in September or October, gotta look good for summer brah
Compare that to when you were say 15 or 16 or the first time you lifted weights.

It was all about lifting the heaviest. Form was irrelevant.

Today in 2021, its all about as you said form, feel and no f**king ego. Im being honest here, I genuinely havent ego lifted in a long time. By ego lift I mean stupid form, lifting weight that is way too heavy for me to control and handle.

Absolutely not mate, hang in there it can all turn around really quickly.
Speaking of which I had some decent lifts today.

Since you told me to abandon National Chest Day, the extra day off and rest from Chest, allowed me to bench a bit heavier more comfortably and also Overhead Press too. I had a bit of a plateau recently which changed.

That diagram you posted also, I forgot to mention those safeties for the rack are crucial when benching alone. While you dont ego lift, benching to failure or having failure happen earlier than expected is a real thing.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Compare that to when you were say 15 or 16 or the first time you lifted weights.

It was all about lifting the heaviest. Form was irrelevant.

Today in 2021, its all about as you said form, feel and no f**king ego. Im being honest here, I genuinely havent ego lifted in a long time. By ego lift I mean stupid form, lifting weight that is way too heavy for me to control and handle.
Yeah I started gym a few weeks into year 11 just before I turned 16.

I actually was pretty lucky as a 16yo with beginner programs and it was drummed into me early on that good form was absolute key to performing safe lifts but also getting good muscular contractions.

My mum and stepdad bought a set of budget spinlocks when I was 15, so I knew how to train shoulders and arms already, just my main compound lifts like chest and back needed fine tuning.

Had one or two hiccups at 16-17 benching where I needed help racking, but yeah nothing really for years until I had a brain fart on the leg press about 4 years ago. Lifting at home with safeties is actually great for going to failure though fwiw.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I do get surprised by the number of people who dont warm up or cool down for that matter.

I never do a warm-up per se - just a few warm up sets building up in weight. Especially for the first movement of the session or first exercise of a different muscle group/movement pattern.

Never do a cool-down either. I work out in my home gym in the morning then jump straight in the shower and off to work.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm 32 nearly 33

With the chicks I still see around town from my high school days, generally the ones who haven't had kids haven't aged that much, but yeah the ones who've had kids you definitely notice a bit more that they've aged.
Oh cheers. I should just go kill myself now then is what you're saying?
Nah, just don't have kids.

Yeah I started gym a few weeks into year 11 just before I turned 16.

I actually was pretty lucky as a 16yo with beginner programs and it was drummed into me early on that good form was absolute key to performing safe lifts but also getting good muscular contractions.

My mum and stepdad bought a set of budget spinlocks when I was 15, so I knew how to train shoulders and arms already, just my main compound lifts like chest and back needed fine tuning.

Had one or two hiccups at 16-17 benching where I needed help racking, but yeah nothing really for years until I had a brain fart on the leg press about 4 years ago. Lifting at home with safeties is actually great for going to failure though fwiw.
Wow you were lucky. I see a few kids today that have been trained or told by someone about performing proper lifts with form and technique.

Hell even Scott Herman admitted in his videos that for years he didnt do legs ie squats and deadlifts, all he did was incline leg press.

Your lucky, when I was younger, all I did was the mirror muscles, chest, biceps and shoulders. Who cares about the rest really? :drunk:

I think if I had to train a beginner, I would get them to focus only on the compound movements for a solid year. Once you master them in terms of form and execution, everything else falls into place.

With the leg press, did you do full lock out? I never did this, but only because I never ego lifted, but I can see how someone could do an injury, a few youtube videos show people snapping their legs at full lock out.

TBH if youre over 21 and in 2021, cant be bothered to watch the multiple youtube videos to understand basic movement patterns, youre begging for an injury to happen.

I never do a warm-up per se - just a few warm up sets building up in weight. Especially for the first movement of the session or first exercise of a different muscle group/movement pattern.

Never do a cool-down either. I work out in my home gym in the morning then jump straight in the shower and off to work.
I have thought about doing what you do, Im just worried about getting an injury. Like paranoid.

It scares me as I know if I get a serious one, it may set me back and then it becomes an issue to go to the gym ever again.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Wow you were lucky. I see a few kids today that have been trained or told by someone about performing proper lifts with form and technique.

Hell even Scott Herman admitted in his videos that for years he didnt do legs ie squats and deadlifts, all he did was incline leg press.

Your lucky, when I was younger, all I did was the mirror muscles, chest, biceps and shoulders. Who cares about the rest really? :drunk:

I think if I had to train a beginner, I would get them to focus only on the compound movements for a solid year. Once you master them in terms of form and execution, everything else falls into place.
When I started out the gym I went to actually had proper gym instructors and people who gave a s**t. The owner hated ego lifters, screamers and guys who dropped weights/didn't clean up after themselves, gave quite a few flogs sprays over the years he was there. He had no problems with guys lifting heavy, but only if they were competent.

Was always an instructor on the floor who worked 9-12 in the mornings Mon-Sat and 4-9pm Mon-Fri, so yeah help was always available. The first 2 years I did a new program every 2-3 months, then when I turned 18 I started winging it for a few months until I had a sprinter mate help me out with power lifts.

With the leg press, did you do full lock out? I never did this, but only because I never ego lifted, but I can see how someone could do an injury, a few youtube videos show people snapping their legs at full lock out.

TBH if youre over 21 and in 2021, cant be bothered to watch the multiple youtube videos to understand basic movement patterns, youre begging for an injury to happen.
People used to say hack squats were no good for your knees and never go close to locking out, absolute myth, it's a good quad variation, I wouldn't totally lock my knees on the leg press, over the years I've drifted away from them, hack squats or machine squats you get better ROM imo, leg press is a prime ego machine.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I have thought about doing what you do, Im just worried about getting an injury. Like paranoid.

It scares me as I know if I get a serious one, it may set me back and then it becomes an issue to go to the gym ever again.

I used to feel guilty for skipping them at first, but now I've been doing it that way for so long I don't even think about it anymore.

Thats so weird.. like you could have a kid and never know. Esp if u have a one night stand and you never exchanged numbers.

But for me... it dont work like that.
Of course its weird, it was meant as a joke. I thought there was enough emoji's to indicate otherwise. Obviously not.

Maybe I should have highlighted in capital letters that it was joke.

I used to feel guilty for skipping them at first, but now I've been doing it that way for so long I don't even think about it anymore.

Your body has obviously adapted to this method of working out and it works for you. I think its awesome if you have the gains and results from your method.

Mind you, what you are doing is fairly normal in the recommendations of warm up sets. I do need to reconsider my warm up routines.

The biggest issue for me is that when I do compound exercises I genuinely feel muscles all over the body being used, hence the need to make sure most major muscle groups are ready to go.

When I started out the gym I went to actually had proper gym instructors and people who gave a sh*t. The owner hated ego lifters, screamers and guys who dropped weights/didn't clean up after themselves, gave quite a few flogs sprays over the years he was there. He had no problems with guys lifting heavy, but only if they were competent.

Compare that today, most PT are absolute useless and a waste of time, money and effort, they provide information that you can easily learn and find free on the internet.

One of the reasons, I purchased a good quality noise cancelling headphones is so that I can avoid hearing screamers or guys dropping weights.

I still respect heavy lifts done properly, but I have none for ego lifters. Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back