Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, would like to get posters thoughts on this one.

For the first time in my life I almost fell off the treadmill. :$

F**k off, I wasnt drunk either. :drunk: :p

An overweight chick next to me decided to do HIIT or whatever the f**k it is, walk for 5 minutes then sprint like a dumb f**k while holding onto the bars for dear life, the whole floor was shaking so much I almost lost balance when I got on the treadmill to begin my run.

When will users of treadmill realise if your holding on to it for dear life it doesnt count. Sure if you have health or disability issues fine. But generally speaking the bars are a last stop to maintain balance and stability, not to do your stupid HIIT.

And in addition. How about when the gym puts in clips of people doing Parker or however I call it. And sky diving or climbing up onto high structures and looking down? And you’re on the treadmill smashing it out and u feel dizzy cause of you’re watching tv of said people? Feel a sensation of falling

Yeh... I never really understood anyone who does that. The other caveat is if you use it when you’re doing extreme incline.
Yes. Fair call, there is benefits of going incline and holding.

No she was so large and running so hard and holding on for dear life it was literally frightening. I definitely would not have run behind her in fear of her flying off and landing on my treadmill.

Why? Ego. Tell everyone they did x reps. Others weren’t there to verify so it has to be right.
And in addition. How about when the gym puts in clips of people doing Parker or however I call it. And sky diving or climbing up onto high structures and looking down? And you’re on the treadmill smashing it out and u feel dizzy cause of you’re watching tv of said people? Feel a sensation of falling

Sorry I literally have no idea the point youre trying to make?

Your query about partial reps. I think its ego.

Not necessarily.

If you take 'roids, doing partial reps still builds a lot of muscle.

Even doing partial squats, I learnt recently actually helps a lot with sports like basketball, as an example Le Bron James.

Yeah I still don't get it.

I see kids doing it and thats "fine". Kids do stupid things all the fine and they are really showing off, having fun and trying to impress their mates.

When I see adults do that crap, especially with all that we now know, I just struggle to comprehend in most circumstances.

Ive seen a couple of steroid freaks do partial reps and they are built like tanks. I can see how some gym goers get confused.

I presume full range of motion? You sound like you do.

Which begs the question, why do so many at the gym do partial reps for everything, like benching. Its really always ego isnt it?

I see so many doing mid air bench presses. I bet so many claim its their shoulders thats preventing them, yet if they lowered the weight considerably they could easily do full range.

I sometimes do "ego lifts" but its always full range of motion and its usually 3-4 reps. Hardly the proper definition of ego lifts.

Normally no one is around either when I do it, just a good song comes on and Im ready to rumble. :drunk:
Nah moreso getting close to a 1RM

Last time I 1RMd bench was in 2010 at 140kg

If I'm comfortably getting 5-6 reps at 110 recently then my 1RM is probably about the same

Nah moreso getting close to a 1RM

Last time I 1RMd bench was in 2010 at 140kg

If I'm comfortably getting 5-6 reps at 110 recently then my 1RM is probably about the same

I havent tested 1 RM for a while.

For the time being I use the 6 reps measure, if I can get 2 or more sets at 6 or more reps I will go up and add weight.

Generally speaking I try not to do any sets under 6 reps. Great for strength and power with that said.

But yeah, back on the bad formz brahz, some might have legit shoulder issues and are only comfortable pressing with a limited ROM, but the ones who don't are simply just ego lifting, young fellas in their late teens/early-mid 20s in particular who've obviously been lifting for a few years.

I definitely wouldn't criticise anyone with limited ROM on the shoulder presses though, it's actually a good time under tension technique and largely takes your triceps out of the equation, but also can help save your shoulders from impingements, something I suffered over the years, probably 80-85% of impingements shoulder pressing and 15-20% incline pressing, so yeah yesterdays standing presses were a breath of fresh air, can't wait to do them again later in the week.

As we said the other day, all them lat rockdowners and seated pullbackers should be put into line though. No excuses there.

Inb4tldr
It's all here GROTTO as we talked about last week with the partials and stuff

It's all here GROTTO as we talked about last week with the partials and stuff
I know its not the thread for it, but I enjoy the banter and camaraderie here, genuinely like learning new ideas and methods in here from yourself and others.

Its a great and friendly atmosphere.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alrighty, would like to get posters thoughts on this one.

For the first time in my life I almost fell off the treadmill. :$

F**k off, I wasnt drunk either. :drunk: :p

An overweight chick next to me decided to do HIIT or whatever the f**k it is, walk for 5 minutes then sprint like a dumb f**k while holding onto the bars for dear life, the whole floor was shaking so much I almost lost balance when I got on the treadmill to begin my run.

When will users of treadmill realise if your holding on to it for dear life it doesnt count. Sure if you have health or disability issues fine. But generally speaking the bars are a last stop to maintain balance and stability, not to do your stupid HIIT.
* treadmills in general. Get out and pound the pavement. None of this bouncing up and down on the spot bullshit. Waste of floor space IMO.

fu** treadmills in general. Get out and pound the pavement. None of this bouncing up and down on the spot bullshit. Waste of floor space IMO.
In the long run, treadmills are better for knees, ankles and the overall body.

Dont get me wrong, on here I have banged on about beach runs, but its not practical for me to be able to make time to do this twice a week.

Treadmill is one solution.

I distinctly recall a bloke doing his whole pre season running program on a treadmill.

Came time for the pre season 3km time trial and he blew up after about 1km, came a very long way back.

Treaddies are fine, no issue with them, i do prefer to be out in the elements personally but no issue with those who use them, just be aware of the benefits and limitations.

I distinctly recall a bloke doing his whole pre season running program on a treadmill.

Came time for the pre season 3km time trial and he blew up after about 1km, came a very long way back.

Treaddies are fine, no issue with them, i do prefer to be out in the elements personally but no issue with those who use them, just be aware of the benefits and limitations.
See thats an entirely different scenario.

Trying to mimic outdoor running with a treadmill is fraught with danger if you think you are conditioned.

Maybe he should have set the incline high, opened all the windows and placed several fans around the treadmill. lol. :p

Funnily enough I found my beach runs easier to do, it could be because it was a lot more mentally refreshing to do mind you. In the height of the pandemic Adelaide, the beach in the evenings was deserted, weather good and there was no weights done just before it.

fu** treadmills in general. Get out and pound the pavement. None of this bouncing up and down on the spot bullshit. Waste of floor space IMO.
My missus and I would sometimes go to the gym late at night, set up on the treadmills and watch TV while running (the treadmills had those screens that connect to free TV). We figured if we're going to watch TV at all, might as well exercise at the same time. Never really use them in any other scenario

My missus and I would sometimes go to the gym late at night, set up on the treadmills and watch TV while running (the treadmills had those screens that connect to free TV). We figured if we're going to watch TV at all, might as well exercise at the same time. Never really use them in any other scenario
Yep. i do too. especially if there's live sport or something good to watch.

for some reason the gym puts sky news on one of the tvs. chuck sport on!

Yep. i do too. especially if there's live sport or something good to watch.

for some reason the gym puts sky news on one of the tvs. chuck sport on!
My old gym (current one doesn't have treadmills) ran nothing but some shitty Rage knock off show on all the main TVs, no idea what it was but the music was terrible. Thankfully the treadmills gave you choice of channel so I'd usually end up watching Tennis or whatever I could find at that time of night - wasn't exactly spoiled for choice unfortunately

My old gym (current one doesn't have treadmills) ran nothing but some shitty Rage knock off show on all the main TVs, no idea what it was but the music was terrible. Thankfully the treadmills gave you choice of channel so I'd usually end up watching Tennis or whatever I could find at that time of night - wasn't exactly spoiled for choice unfortunately

I like running when watching a good AFL game. :$

Somehow or the other my running times always coincides with half time or after the final siren.:drunk:

It sucks going into my gym first thing in the morning. You get saddled with Sunrise on one screen and Today on the other. I think I’ll stick to weights sessions if I go in early, and save the cardio for when they have something decent on the screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back