Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons ive always gone the over ear can style headphones for working out (buds also slip out of my ears)

It is common for bud slippage. When i pounded the pavement id find a bud fly out in front of me as i watched in horror and hope it was not damaged.

I put an end to that bullshit when I purchased a pair of Beats.

There was a guy that would love to tell me his life stories and things that happened to him years ago. Like I give a flying f**k.

If you want to bore me, tell me a story in under 60 seconds, otherwise Im Gone in 60 seconds to do my next set.

inb4 someone criticises Beats :D

One of the reasons ive always gone the over ear can style headphones for working out (buds also slip out of my ears)

When Im in the zone, Im in the Dangerzone.

yMTiYZt.gif

In all seriousness, I do take a somewhat relaxed mentally once I have completed the first cycle of Push/Pull/Legs for the week, so the second cycle is a lot more chilled and relaxed.

However I have not chatted to anyone during my workouts for the past 2 years. Before and After is fine, even warming up is ok, but still I have a system in place, that I like to complete to prepare myself.

I find it bemusing that some people treat the gym as a social opportunity and these are the same people that complain that they dont see gains. You should be going close to failure for each set and barely have enough juice to carry out conversations.

When Im in the zone, Im in the Dangerzone.

yMTiYZt.gif

In all seriousness, I do take a somewhat relaxed mentally once I have completed the first cycle of Push/Pull/Legs for the week, so the second cycle is a lot more chilled and relaxed.

However I have not chatted to anyone during my workouts for the past 2 years. Before and After is fine, even warming up is ok, but still I have a system in place, that I like to complete to prepare myself.

I find it bemusing that some people treat the gym as a social opportunity and these are the same people that complain that they dont see gains. You should be going close to failure for each set and barely have enough juice to carry out conversations.

Truth.

If you it start to get to know fellow patrons it gets to an awkward stage where u gotta say hi to everyone. If you’re there 3-4 times a week like me that’s a lot of wasted time.

Head phones ftw!

Truth.

If you it start to get to know fellow patrons it gets to an awkward stage where u gotta say hi to everyone. If you’re there 3-4 times a week like me that’s a lot of wasted time.

Head phones ftw!

I smile and say hello or acknowledge to those that I see regularly around, most times, but I dont get into conversations, generally.

Once your break in between sets is longer than 5minutes, I lose all momentum during a workout, then you throw in fans at full speed.

Glory be, I might as well go home. Hence why I havent engaged with anyone during a workout.

I put an end to that bullshit when I purchased a pair of Beats.

There was a guy that would love to tell me his life stories and things that happened to him years ago. Like I give a flying f**k.

If you want to bore me, tell me a story in under 60 seconds, otherwise Im Gone in 60 seconds to do my next set.

That's the key, constant movement.

If you're standing there minding your own business they see that as an invitation to move in.

I can't train with headphones on because it gets in the road of my mind muscle connection.

My younger days at the footy gyms id chat but we also had time limits for other groups so it was always between sets with guys working as hard as you.

Any members gym ive never spoken to anyone. An actual outside of gym mate showed up at my gym once, he waved and came over to chat, i went straight to my exercise (timed rest) and he got the hint.

Told him the next day the gym isnt social to me, its work. He got the hint.

Honestly im not that well versed but most of the dudes i knew heard the "small weight + high reps = shred, heavy weight + low reps = bulk".

Im pretty sure its not accurate but its one of those well vaunted old wives tales most people have heard and alot think is accurate.

Shredding to low BF levels requires one to be in a caloric deficit.

Rep # is fairly insignificant. Apart from being in caloric surplus, lifting to grow muscle requires the trainee to get to the stage in a set where the reps are becoming slow, requiring a tonne of effort to complete. That's when most of the motor units are being recruited.

You could do that with a 15-20RM weight but 10-15 of those reps will be a waste of energy. And considering that is an energy cost to building and maintaining muscle - particularly in a calorie deficit, there really isn't a need for it. 6-12RM range should be sufficient.

Then of course, you need a structured program to ensure you don't kill yourself to achieve that.

Growing muscle is a task the body doesn't really lend itself too due to the energy requirements required to obtain and maintain it. That's why it's so ******* hard doing it as a nattie. In healthy individuals, homeostasis dictates the body to resist change.

Last edited:
I can't train with headphones on because it gets in the road of my mind muscle connection.

I suggest selecting the right music that helps facilitate that.

The music helps me to begin a set mentally and forms the foundation of hard work ahead.

I generally dont hear the music at all during the set, but I do hear campaigners around me when the music is off or I remove my headphones. Which is rare.

Shredding to low BF levels requires one to be in a caloric deficit.

Rep # is fairly insignificant. Apart from being in caloric surplus, lifting to grow muscle requires the trainee to get to the stage in a set where the reps are becoming slow, requiring a tonne of effort to complete. That's when most of the motor units are being recruited.

You could do that with a 15-20RM weight but 10-15 of those reps will be a waste of energy. And considering that is an energy cost to building and maintaining muscle - particularly in a calorie deficit, there really isn't a need for it. 6-12RM range should be sufficient.

Then of course, you need a structured program to ensure you don't kill yourself to achieve that.

Growing muscle is a task the body doesn't really lend itself too due to the energy requirements required to obtain and maintain it. That's why it's so ******* hard doing it as a nattie. In healthy individuals, homeostasis dictates the body to resist change.
I think the general idea doesnt have nearly that amount of science behind it and is literally a bit of an old wives tale.

Likely based on some degree of truth in the extreme but not really going to do anything for the average punter.

My younger days at the footy gyms id chat but we also had time limits for other groups so it was always between sets with guys working as hard as you.

Any members gym ive never spoken to anyone. An actual outside of gym mate showed up at my gym once, he waved and came over to chat, i went straight to my exercise (timed rest) and he got the hint.

The funny thing is I think most people at the gym are up for a chat, I would say easily 90%.

Im not sure I would tell a person its not social for me, but I do get what you mean.

Look my compound movements involve 2-3 mins rest, if a bro can tell me a quick story or to check out a babe at the gym, thats fine. Otherwise no, I dont want to chat at all.

Even with the few girls I have gone out with from the gym, its always been as a result to chatting to them after their workout and mine.

The funny thing is I think most people at the gym are up for a chat, I would say easily 90%.

Im not sure I would tell a person its not social for me, but I do get what you mean.

Look my compound movements involve 2-3 mins rest, if a bro can tell me a quick story or to check out a babe at the gym, thats fine. Otherwise no, I dont want to chat at all.

Even with the few girls I have gone out with from the gym, its always been as a result to chatting to them after their workout and mine.
Yeh for sure, but how many gym chatty types tell you a story in between sets? It almost always winds up being three blokes standing around a bench talking s**t for 20 minutes before someone lifts anything.

Gym and exercise in general is therapuetic for me.

My job involves alot of communicating, im in meetings talking or listening 5-6 hours a day. Going for a run or a workout is headphones in, tune out and let me body work.

Its bliss that is disturbed by people wanting to communicate. Im also married so im not picking anyone up and im not looking to make friends.

Home gym has been amazing for this.

Yeh for sure, but how many gym chatty types tell you a story in between sets? It almost always winds up being three blokes standing around a bench talking sh*t for 20 minutes before someone lifts anything.

My job involves alot of communicating, im in meetings talking or listening 5-6 hours a day. Going for a run or a workout is headphones in, tune out and let me body work.

Its bliss that is disturbed by people wanting to communicate. Im also married so im not picking anyone up and im not looking to make friends.

There is a guy at my gym who does lift heavy (and generally correctly) admittedly but always ask someone random for a spotter than he engages them for 5-10 minutes conversation between his sets.

Problem with this, is if one person sits on machine for a long time it has a rippling effect for others wanting to use the equipment.

TBH I think he uses the opportunity because he lifts big as a conversational tool to chat to others and socialize. Other gym users are too stupid to see through this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And while I don't generally want to be bothered whilst I'm training, I do support equality and would welcome cisgender females to approach me for a chit chat.

Always prepared to do my bit for equality and diversity in the gym community.
A guy at my gym approached me to say hello and introduce himself to me and that he said he sees me around here a lot. :$

Pretty sure he bats for the other team.

It was inbewteen a rest so I engaged to be polite but to also find out what the f**k he wanted to ask or say, took the headphones off (with them on, I cant hear a single thing), smiled, said hello a few words then told him I going to get back into it.

As phantom13 said earlier, I think the subtle message got through.

Yeh for sure, but how many gym chatty types tell you a story in between sets? It almost always winds up being three blokes standing around a bench talking sh*t for 20 minutes before someone lifts anything.

If I see someone I know I'll say gday for 2 minutes, but yeah nothing more. Will normally quickly ask what they're training, if they're doing something similar I'll normally say shout out if you need a spot, but yeah might only come back to them if I need a 3-5 minute breather between sets.

I'm single, but I ain't chatting up chicks from gym anymore, that was a phase in my teens/early 20s that was over for me by about the time I was 23 and had a girlfriend at that time, plus these days all the single chicks that train at Derrimut for example are 10+ years younger than me either in their late teens/early 20s. Would be extremely hard pressed to find one in their late 20s/early 30s.

But yeah, when I turned 28, I definitely changed my attitude to gym, health first, zone in to what you gotta do, get in and get out.

But yeah, nothing better than having equipment to yourself and not have your routine interrupted, the equipment hogging types ruin it for me, not the talkers simply because I rarely engage anymore at gym.

If I see someone I know I'll say gday for 2 minutes, but yeah nothing more. Will normally quickly ask what they're training, if they're doing something similar I'll normally say shout out if you need a spot, but yeah might only come back to them if I need a 3-5 minute breather between sets.

I'm single, but I ain't chatting up chicks from gym anymore, that was a phase in my teens/early 20s that was over for me by about the time I was 23 and had a girlfriend at that time, plus these days all the single chicks that train at Derrimut for example are 10+ years younger than me either in their late teens/early 20s. Would be extremely hard pressed to find one in their late 20s/early 30s.

But yeah, when I turned 28, I definitely changed my attitude to gym, health first, zone in to what you gotta do, get in and get out.

But yeah, nothing better than having equipment to yourself and not have your routine interrupted, the equipment hogging types ruin it for me, not the talkers simply because I rarely engage anymore at gym.
Used to get my gym in Sydney to myself on a Friday night or Sunday Arvo.

Nothing better, honestly, nothing better than the gym to yourself.

Pretty sure I'll go to Derrimut next on Monday fwiw, get my once every 2-3-4 week lat pulldown workout in

Everyone else will be training chest at least, so late arvo shouldn't be too bad. Might be a little bit of a struggle to get onto the high/low pulleys for some facepulls or triceps after my heavy compounds are done as the chest brahs will finish up on them for cable crossovers or triceps too.

all the single chicks that train at Derrimut for example are 10+ years younger than me either in their late teens/early 20s. Would be extremely hard pressed to find one in their late 20s/early 30s.

A well muscled std free gentleman in his early 30's is prime rib.

You are at peak attractiveness to a girl in her early 20's.

I would go so far as to say you should only date girls in their 20's until you hit 45. Only then will you have the maturity and patience to want to deal with a woman entering her 3rd decade.

Stay in your lane son.

A well muscled std free gentleman in his early 30's is prime rib.

You are at peak attractiveness to a girl in her early 20's.

I would go so far as to say you should only date girls in their 20's until you hit 45. Only then will you have the maturity and patience to want to deal with a woman entering her 3rd decade.

Stay in your lane son.
That you Barney Stinson?

Also it'd be their 4th decade friend, not 3rd (21-30 is their 3rd)

Last edited:

Also if you talk with girls during gym, you run out of things to say if they accept a coffee date straight thereafter

yep. sometimes its the only way to get the message accross. that or start walking into the dunnys.

That you Barney Stinson?

Also it'd be their 4th decade friend, not 3rd (21-30 is their 3rd)

Yeah nah you never want to make a woman feel older than she is. 4th decade sounds too close to 40.

Just keep it simple pups. The last thing you want is a When Harry Met Sally meltdown "And I'm gonna be 40!"

Geez no wonder you're single :rolleyes:

Yeah nah you never want to make a woman feel older than she is. 4th decade sounds too close to 40.

Just keep it simple pups. The last thing you want is a When Harry Met Sally meltdown "And I'm gonna be 40!"

Geez no wonder you're single :rolleyes:
I was previously engaged friend

Happy to wait

I’ve been going to gyms 4-5 time a week for 10+ years and other than Gym staff, I reckon I could count on one hand the number of times somebody has come up and spoken to me.

It seems to be attractive girls and muscly guys that are the ones you see standing around having conversations (I’m neither of these), so I would take it as a compliment, even if it does piss you off.

I’ve been going to gyms 4-5 time a week for 10+ years and other than Gym staff, I reckon I could count on one hand the number of times somebody has come up and spoken to me.

It seems to be attractive girls and muscly guys that are the ones you see standing around having conversations (I’m neither of these), so I would take it as a compliment, even if it does piss you off.
Fair call

I definitely was a fair bit lighter and took a bit more care in my appearance back then (hair gel and stuff)

These days, fila shorts (got 3 navy pairs, lel), tshirt, some sort of shoe, spray of deodorant and always a cap (maybe a hoody if it's a little chilly) and I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back