When I saw this movie, I thought thats how you were meant to tee off. :$

Happy-Gilmore-Swing-Gif.gif
The reference to this in 50 First Dates was pure brilliance

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
I never did it at a "gym" ive always trained alone but from 15-21 i did most of my gym work at the footy club gym and we ALL did it.
Probably a better environment to train

You played VFL yeah? So was that TAC Cup/VFL gyms you were at?
Sunday > late Fri night > Saturday arvo > Wed/Thurs/Tues
Best training days

Saturdays>Fridays>Tuesdays>Wednesdays>Thursdays>Sundays>Mondays

Thursday is normally my favourite day of the week in general with Saturday not far behind, but a day off training on a Thursday is ok too if I'm training legs on Fridays
With swimming I'll massively go out of my way to go during quiet times. ie. Early Sunday morning (but not TOO early cos there are still some freaks that go super early), or late Friday nights are probably the best times.
7-8am for me, once Squad is finished and just the old folks rock up, no judgemental flogs around, just people who want to exercise
There's a bit of look at me in gyming in general. Very few are at the gym purely to keep fit. For the rest there's a small to a huge amount of appearance and body image in play.
That's why being a garage/home gym owner is elite, 100% purely to keep fit
I hacvent done any gym work (weights) all lockdown. Well carrying shopping bags each of two exception.

Played a sh*t load of golf since it was permitted some two weeks ago
Better than nothing mate
When I saw this movie, I thought thats how you were meant to tee off. :$

Happy-Gilmore-Swing-Gif.gif
Always wondered how Happy would go padded up facing some Pakistani or Indian spinner and try and smash one over long ons head

Have a look at Lara's second 6 in this over (55 seconds), absolutely smashed the absolute s**t out of that, kinda reminds me of a left handed Happy Gilmore shot

*people who want to just exercise can be absolute flogs too.

No1 pet hate- dipshits who join your lane even tho there are several empty.
If thats happening its likely a backhanded compliment possibly, you being an attractive girl.

I think most in here would go to an empty lane.

The caveat would be though if there is lanes designated, slow, medium or fast.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I agree always like the lane to yourself but when you think about it people training from state level and up swim in squads with full lanes. They need to be at a similar pace though and/or use some common sense.

edit - remember my brother told me a story about this new guy that kept bumping into him for the first few days. Couldn't work out wtf his problem was until the end of the week someone told him that he was mostly blind and training for the Paralympics haha.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
If thats happening its likely a backhanded compliment possibly, you being an attractive girl.

I think most in here would go to an empty lane.

The caveat would be though if there is lanes designated, slow, medium or fast.
Wouldn't most people be a bit more subtle and just pick the lane next to the female...

If there is free lanes the slow, medium, fast can just be ignored a bit tbh, common sense again.

Wouldn't most people be a bit more subtle and just pick the lane next to the female...

If there is free lanes the slow, medium, fast can just be ignored a bit tbh, common sense again.
True, thats the point Im making the guy obviously is trying to try his luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty standard at most gyms that arent the old school iron paradise now really
Tbh I don't see a huge problem with it. Deadlifting in sanctioned events, you'd usually get red flagged for dropping the weights. Should be finishing the lift regardless. Although it's not exactly hurting anyone when you drop the weights. Only people I see drop weights are meat head ego lifters and crossfitters

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tbh I don't see a huge problem with it. Deadlifting in sanctioned events, you'd usually get red flagged for dropping the weights. Should be finishing the lift regardless. Although it's not exactly hurting anyone when you drop the weights. Only people I see drop weights are meat head ego lifters and crossfitters
I’ve said this before, I don’t really take issue with it, I’ve got headphones in and am in my own zone anyway but plenty of people find it intimidating and uncomfortable. If you’re in a standard gym (fitness first) it also means less chance the equipment gets damaged.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
yeah crossfit is a bit weird, at my gym i always control it down but then they say to me go heavier and dont waste energy doing that

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
yeah crossfit is a bit weird, at my gym i always control it down but then they say to me go heavier and dont waste energy doing that
Unless you’re training specifically for powerlifting the rule “if you can’t put it down don’t pick it up” seems reasonable to me

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Unless you’re training specifically for powerlifting the rule “if you can’t put it down don’t pick it up” seems reasonable to me
My gym's a dedicated powerlifting gym. Dude who runs is top 2 in the state for his weight class and competes at a national level. He's insistent on not dropping the weight, so I don't even think it's really a powerlifting thing to drop the weights (although I guess it may differ by federations)

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
My gym's a dedicated powerlifting gym. Dude who runs is top 2 in the state for his weight class and competes at a national level. He's insistent on not dropping the weight, so I don't even think it's really a powerlifting thing to drop the weights (although I guess it may differ by federations)

Lee's a big advocate of the if you can't put them down, don't pick them up rule

Fair enough too

Only weights that should be dumped above knee height is Olympic lifts that Olympic lifters or Crossfiters do and should only be on weight lifting/deadlift platforms with bumper plates

Got no problems with deadlifts, just control it down though (pendlay style deadlifts annoy me)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

I'll only drop the weight if it's a workout that involves multiple lifts. So if it's a workout that involves 20 Deadlifts I might break them up into sets of 5 and drop it on the 5th one. I'm pretty sure our coach would crack down on anyone who was dropping it every time.

If it's deadlifting for a 1rm then definitely control down.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
On the clanging thing I’ve always thought you probably should read the gym. Some people can be intimidated by meat heads throwing weights around (not suggesting that’s you) but unless you’re at an old school iron paradise I’d expect that not dropping weights is pretty standard (most chain gyms have that sign posted now)

There is clanging and there is clanging - dropping a deadlift from the lock position on a platform is different from actively throwing down dumbbells together with a histrionic grunt. Former OK - latter shithouse

PS: cannot ******* wait to get in there again on Friday

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is clanging and there is clanging - dropping a deadlift from the lock position on a platform is different from actively throwing down dumbbells together with a histrionic grunt. Former OK - latter shithouse

PS: cannot ******* wait to get in there again on Friday
Again, i dont really care about either, but if youre at a standard commercial gym and they have signs probably dont do it or at least dont be shocked when youre told not to do it.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The funny thing, is that I dont think he was trying to be an a-hole, I genuinely think he thought there was nothing wrong with what he is doing.

Its the gym, I have seen some f**ked up sh*t over the years.

I think that's the case with the majority of novice-intermediate lifters - they just genuinely aren't aware of every aspect of gym etiquette. Still infuriating, hey.

Back