Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky. Got a seated calf doohickey as well, which is good for my chicken legs.
I'd be happy with just a seated calf machine. I generally do standing single-lag calf raises with a step and a kettleball, twice per week.
High calf contacts means my calves are pretty small. Sprinting helps a bit too but I've often got DOMs which means I don't get out for those sessions that much anymore.

I'd be happy with just a seated calf machine. I generally do standing single-lag calf raises with a step and a kettleball, twice per week.
High calf contacts means my calves are pretty small. Sprinting helps a bit too but I've often got DOMs which means I don't get out for those sessions that much anymore.
Should do a combination of seated and standing as they hit different muscles in the calves.

Ideally the standing is better. Mind you, you can do them with dumbbells and dont need a machine.

Should do a combination of seated and standing as they hit different muscles in the calves.

Ideally the standing is better. Mind you, you can do them with dumbbells and dont need a machine.
As a very rough rule of bro-science thumb:
Standing - gastronemius
Seating - soleus

I do try and do some bent knee accessory calf raises. Not always in the gym, often around the house when I've got a minute or two to spare.

As a very rough rule of bro-science thumb:
Standing - gastronemius
Seating - soleus

Not really bro-science. The gastroc crosses the knee and the soleus doesn't, so bent knee slackens the gastroc and makes the soleus take more of the load.

They can also be a useful accessory for your squat as they can help with ankle mobility in the bottom portion of the movement.

Stretching your calves the way people normally do targets the gastroc more, but if your ankle mobility is an issue in the squat it's going to be in the bottom portion when your knees are in flexion so the soleus is more likely to be the limiting factor of dorsiflexion.

They can also be a useful accessory for your squat as they can help with ankle mobility in the bottom portion of the movement.

Stretching your calves the way people normally do targets the gastroc more, but if your ankle mobility is an issue in the squat it's going to be in the bottom portion when your knees are in flexion so the soleus is more likely to be the limiting factor of dorsiflexion.
I do agree with you, but ankle mobility is the least concern for most that squat.

I see very few people ever breaking parallel for their squats, though the reason I feel is more related so they can lift more on the bar to impress imaginary fans, which is their main goal rather than develop their quads, which ironically is probably their real goal. :drunk:

Those that break parallel properly have decent legs from what I have seen.

Myself.

Great dayto go swimming but i srsly cbfd doing the whole sunscreen, driving there etcetc thing to get the end result of getting into the pool
Same

I pulled the plug on the gym today, 4 days straight previously but my CNS is taxed, Im cooked. Ironically physically I could go easily.

Same

I pulled the plug on the gym today, 4 days straight previously but my CNS is taxed, Im cooked. Ironically physically I could go easily.
Im fantasizing about a pool, in ground, below my apartment i can just jump out of the window straight into.

Order from VCAT came through Friday, gym emailed me today asking for bank details to refund me. Amusingly the VCAT email states that there will be a date for payment to be made on the order (and if its not made i can contact VCAT to enforce the order) but the order itself didnt have a date, given how bloody hard VCAT went on the gym owner about sufficient documentation its a bit of a faux pas.

Order from VCAT came through Friday, gym emailed me today asking for bank details to refund me. Amusingly the VCAT email states that there will be a date for payment to be made on the order (and if its not made i can contact VCAT to enforce the order) but the order itself didnt have a date, given how bloody hard VCAT went on the gym owner about sufficient documentation its a bit of a faux pas.

Email them back with the bank acct number and this gif..

8a.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahaha, nah i kept it brief and polite, if they decide to delay the payment i cant really do anything now that VCAT didnt include a date so im hoping it will be settled shortly.

Them emailing me seems to indicate they have accepted the decision.
When you get paid, send them another email telling them you would like to join.

Maybe you can sue them for discrimination if youre rejected.

* I hate DOMs.

Well it finally happened.
I have about 8 steps leading up from the street to the front door of my gym. Leg day today, I leave the gym, and step down one step and my legs basically collapse. I had to grab the rail - if I don't I would have tumbled. Even worse it's on a main road so a lot of randoms saw my basic inability to walk properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back