Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

mcgarnacle

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Would love for some advice here and what others would do?

A PT at the gym is using three pieces of equipment "at the same time". Uses one piece and reserves two others (with towels and board), while she does a mini circuit with her client.

Sure if others were using it, its a non-issue I accept it and move on. But to reserve three pieces is a bit rich.

While I dont want to be the "Karen", Im not sure what to do here, when I need to use something that she basically reserves for 30mins to an hour? Why should I screw my workout for her?

I was going to move the towel today of the back machine she "reserved" and just use the machine, while she was using the squat rack with her client, but didnt want today to be the day I picked a "fight". Mind you I would have rolled over and played dumb if questioned if I did it and say you couldnt be using the back machine as you are doing barbell rows with your client in the squat rack area.

Thoughts?

Use to be a woman at the gym I'm at who would do a Les Mills Body Pump workout in the weight room in front of the DB rack and mirror. She'd place her phone on DB rack around the 15-17.5kg DBs, and hog a bench, a 5kg bar and plates, and whatever else you need for that s**t program, and be there for 50 mins or so while others work around her, trying to retrieve and then lift 35-40kg DBs while not getting poked in the eye from her squatting beside them.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Use to be a woman at the gym I'm at who would do a Les Mills Body Pump workout in the weight room in front of the DB rack and mirror. She'd place her phone on DB rack around the 15-17.5kg DBs, and hog a bench, a 5kg bar and plates, and whatever else you need for that s**t program, and be there for 50 mins or so while others work around her, trying to retrieve and then lift 35-40kg DBs while not getting poked in the eye from her squatting beside them.

Guys are definitely caught between a rock and a hard place.

Any sign of passive aggressiveness will be unacceptable. I have seen some frustrating workout routines over my gym journey, yes I agree with you, this behaviour is often seen.

Sometimes at the gym, it gets to a stage where I have seen 4-5 items left on different pieces of equipment, towels, top, drink bottle, gloves as an indication its "saved" just for them.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enjoyed a Monday workout with only one PT operating.

I love when PT's dont have clients, it means the gym is basically empty.

As much as I want to go in today, unfortunately pulled the plug I know I am fighting off some sort of "virus" over the last few days, so decided to take the foot off the pedal and not go.

Alberto_Magnifico

All Australian
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Enjoyed a Monday workout with only one PT operating.

I love when PT's dont have clients, it means the gym is basically empty.

As much as I want to go in today, unfortunately pulled the plug I know I am fighting off some sort of "virus" over the last few days, so decided to take the foot off the pedal and not go.
Thats been me the last week, it sucks, but the best you can do is what you are doing.
I cut back to one gym session and one light run, and was feeling a bit better so went out Sunday and at around an hour in and 30mins from home it started pissing down, feeling like crap again and back to square one.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thats been me the last week, it sucks, but the best you can do is what you are doing.
I cut back to one gym session and one light run, and was feeling a bit better so went out Sunday and at around an hour in and 30mins from home it started pissing down, feeling like crap again and back to square one.
Thanks. :thumbsu:

I am feeling a lot better and even considered a late arvo workout, then thought if I am recovering from a bug, its better I just give myself another night and full day of recovery.

If I am ever under the weather, I definitely wouldnt do cardio after my weights, I think it personally exhausts my CNS and makes recovery a lot harder.

I think when you are physically/mentally unwell its best to workout within those constraints then pushing yourself too hard. What you are doing one weights and one light run is good as its minimal amount without overtaxing yourself.

Keep me and us posted in how you go.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Day off did wonders.

Had a great Push Day, did a PB for my Bench Press and that was with my shoulder sore, not sure from what (as it was before benching, probably slept badly on it) I presume it was one of the rotator cuff muscles and didnt impact my lifting, except for when I did rear delts, felt some soreness, but no pain.

Had a great run too.

All up a great gym day.

Thats not to say no one irritated me, lol. :D:$

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
This morning - see guy using the tricep dip bars as a squat rack. Seriously

It's genius and annoying at the same time

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This morning - see guy using the tricep dip bars as a squat rack. Seriously

It's genius and annoying at the same time
Short odds offered that some f**ked up PT, taught him that.

Instead of doing simple proven and tested basic exercises that work, often PT will come up with stupid complicated methods instead.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I saw a guy yesterday squatting, he told me previously he couldnt squat deep, by that I mean breaking parallel.

Yet ironically he was comfortably breaking parallel and going lower during his squat warmup using just the barbell.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I saw a guy yesterday squatting, he told me previously he couldnt squat deep, by that I mean breaking parallel.

Yet ironically he was comfortably breaking parallel and going lower during his squat warmup using just the barbell.
Should see my squats at the moment on the achilles rehab trail.

Uuuuuuugly

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel for you champ, your mind wants to do and lift more, but the body cant.

Be patient, take your time and dont rush. You will get through it.
I got told yesterday that the 12 week scan (sounds like a pregnancy) is showing a big chuck of scar tissue on the graft section which may permanently limit flexibility in the tendon.

Its not the end of the world but its a setback, ive been doing well in the rehab session and progress is positive but after 13 weeks it feels slow and frustratin at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Use to be a woman

You wot?

oh.....

It'd be a real shame for a patron to upon putting their weights back accidentally drop said weight on the phone. Real shame

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I got told yesterday that the 12 week scan (sounds like a pregnancy) is showing a big chuck of scar tissue on the graft section which may permanently limit flexibility in the tendon.

Its not the end of the world but its a setback, ive been doing well in the rehab session and progress is positive but after 13 weeks it feels slow and frustratin at times.
Dont forget flexibility can improve over time, ONCE the healing process is completed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad