Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

The scales at my gym - according to them I've lost 35kgs overnight.
Freaking useless

If anyone is ever unsure about the scales at their gym, throw a 5kg plate on there as a point of reference.

I actually weigh myself almost every day, its good to get an idea and understand of how your weight can fluctuate from day to day.

weight-scale-baby.gif

If anyone is ever unsure about the scales at their gym, throw a 5kg plate on there as a point of reference.

I actually weigh myself almost every day, its good to get an idea and understand of how your weight can fluctuate from day to day.
My old gym was about 5% off (I checked with a 20kg dumbell, regularly).
These are useless and the floor isn't quite even which seems to make it worse.

Overloaded the barbell for her strength and size and was 100% clearly ego lifting. Looks like ~4*20kgs plates on each side, so she was trying to squat ~180kgs.

It appears she was attempting to perform a squat using the bench to not squat deeply. Ended up being pinned to the bench by the barbell.

She would have probably survived if she didnt use the bench, as the weight would have just fallen behind her. If there was safety rails she should have been using them too, which would have likely have saved her as well.

100% preventable.

She is 100% at fault here.

With the link before, you get to see the video of her before the lift and her attempt to perform the lift.

You can clearly see, she also failed to "mentally" prepare herself for such a heavy lift too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont think you can even say she died doing what she loved.

You cant even say she will take those "gains" to heaven either.

She was clearly ego lifting.

Anyone that can lift that kind of weight or even remotely in that weight range would know there is a variety of mistakes she made collectively that led to her death.

I would be interested to see the video of her lifting prior to the incident, that is, I would be interested in the way she approached squating 100kgs, 140kgs if there was clear warning signs she was headed for trouble at 180kgs.

Not sure what anyone was thinking tbh
The guy who helped setup and watched...

The guy would have either seen her lift before that day and or seen her progress to squatting 180kgs at the time.

You would have thought he would have seen her form and commented to her about it, if even he had a remote idea of lifting weight and how dangerous what she is doing.

This isnt hindsight either.

On reflection looking at it, she would have survived if she had placed the bench at the end right under her arse. However, her placement of it presented her with the opportunity to get perfectly pinned by it, should she have failed with the squat.

I cant exactly tell if the safety rails are permanent or they can be moved on that squat rack, thats the other major fail on her part too. I get the feeling she used the bench as a safety rail and therefore didnt bother about adjusting the safety rails in the first place if it was possible.

A mate of mine who is champion powerlifter at squatting told me something I have always remembered. If you fail with the squat, to always let the barbell fall behind you, ie let go and move forward. The woman in the video probably also lacked the upper body strength to control the barbell in the first place.

go you pups is our resident expert on squat racks, would love to know your thoughts on all of this.

The guy would have either seen her lift before that day and or seen her progress to squatting 180kgs at the time.

You would have thought he would have seen her form and commented to her about it, if even he had a remote idea of lifting weight and how dangerous what she is doing.

This isnt hindsight either.

On reflection looking at it, she would have survived if she had placed the bench at the end right under her arse. However, her placement of it presented her with the opportunity to get perfectly pinned by it, should she have failed with the squat.

I cant exactly tell if the safety rails are permanent or they can be moved on that squat rack, thats the other major fail on her part too. I get the feeling she used the bench as a safety rail and therefore didnt bother about adjusting the safety rails in the first place if it was possible.

A mate of mine who is champion powerlifter at squatting told me something I have always remembered. If you fail with the squat, to always let the barbell fall behind you, ie let go and move forward. The woman in the video probably also lacked the upper body strength to control the barbell in the first place.

go you pups is our resident expert on squat racks, would love to know your thoughts on all of this.
Looks like a Smith machine to me

Probably didn't bother setting up any safeties 1 way or the other (even if it was a weird rack too), barbells can at least be tipped to the side or flipped back/forward, Smith machines with a heavy load without safety stoppers only go one way, straight down til it bottoms out.

100% ego lifting too

You lift that heavy (for a female likely 3x her weight) you will need at least 3 proper spotters, 1 a side and 1 behind, neither of the 2 seemed like they did anything also to help her unrack it/control it before the footage stopped when it crushed her.

You lift alone, always use safeties, if you don't have a spot at a commercial gym or have proper safety mechanisms working in a rack or a bench press, then always make sure you can do the weight, save a few reps in the tank and use a barbell without clips so you can tilt the plates off when you need to bail

Last edited:
You lift alone, always use safeties, if you don't have a spot at a commercial gym or have proper safety mechanisms working in a rack or a bench press, then always make sure you can do the weight, save a few reps in the tank and use a barbell without clips so you can tilt the plates off when you need to bail
One of the reasons I like front squats (in addition to back squats would wreck my bulging disc). You lose it with them and can just dump it forward. Sure noisy, but easy enough to back out. Bench I always set the safety bars to just below touching the chest. Basically if at worst couldn't lift, could suck in the air and slide back. Lucky enough to have racks with enough spacing and my dimensions work out can do that if required (never have as I don't push if I feel I won't be able to make a rep, erring on side of caution still). That and always bench without clips on the bar. Gym signs saying always use them - * off, that's more not less dangerous. I'll take being able to tip it in worse case.

Looks like a Smith machine to me

Probably didn't bother setting up any safeties 1 way or the other (even if it was a weird rack too), barbells can at least be tipped to the side or flipped back/forward, Smith machines with a heavy load without safety stoppers only go one way, straight down til it bottoms out.

100% ego lifting too

You lift that heavy (for a female likely 3x her weight) you will need at least 3 proper spotters, 1 a side and 1 behind, neither of the 2 seemed like they did anything also to help her unrack it/control it before the footage stopped when it crushed her.

I initially though it was the Smith Machine, then I changed it to a barbell rack, I think youre right.

Ive never liked the Smith Machine, for the simple reason, that I like to control the range of motion for any barbell exercise. I would probably argue that the Smith Machine is more of a deathtrap than a squat rack especially if safeties are not used properly.

Yes youre correct about the ego lift. I would argue in the gym that Smith Machines should not be loaded beyond 2 20kg plates on each side. If you think or can lift more than that, you should be really doing free weight.barbell exercises.

I actually have seen online the full incident from start to finish. Its graphic, it is educational and Im glad I did. It has made me a lot more consciously aware of being vigilant with lifts and I have thought about where I may possible not be doing lifts with almost 100% safety.

At the end of the day it was a combination of factors that killed her, IMO the bold parts were the biggest contributors if she had done these she would likely be alive today:

1) Didnt mentally prepare herself for the lift.
2) Ego lift
3) Lacked the upper body strength to control the barbell,
4) Lacked the lower body strength to squat the barbell
5) No spotters
6) No safeties
7) Lacked the basic understanding of what to do when you are squatting and hit failure. ie move forward and let the barbell drop

8) Having a child with her in the area, it definitely was a distraction. (not blaming the child at all)
9)Having a bench positioned in that manner provided the perfect scenario for her to be pinned
10) Her friend/partner/trainer really should have told her not to perform that exercise
11) Im confident she lacked the understanding of even performing the exercise with just a barbell and no weight.

One of the reasons I like front squats (in addition to back squats would wreck my bulging disc). You lose it with them and can just dump it forward. Sure noisy, but easy enough to back out. Bench I always set the safety bars to just below touching the chest. Basically if at worst couldn't lift, could suck in the air and slide back. Lucky enough to have racks with enough spacing and my dimensions work out can do that if required (never have as I don't push if I feel I won't be able to make a rep, erring on side of caution still). That and always bench without clips on the bar. Gym signs saying always use them - fu** off, that's more not less dangerous. I'll take being able to tip it in worse case.

Benching with clips on the bar is dumb as f**k. Even worse if youre benching by yourself.

The plates wont move with the caveat if you are executing the movement correctly and using too many plates on each side.

By that I mean if youre benching 40kgs weights on each side of the bar, use 2*20kgs, if you start doing s**t like using 4*10kg plates, its possible for the plates to slide. However if it is sliding its likely because you are not in control of the barbell, that being the case you shouldnt be lifting that much weight in the first place.

Ive helped a few kids benching at the gym, who hit failure and have the barbell trapped on them. Its not a big issue as at worse its just 1*20kg plate and I tell them to not have safeties so that they can slide it off if they hit failure.

Dont laugh, I actually use clips for my bench. Thats only because I do the OHP next and need clips and all the good ones are gone quickly. :$ :drunk:
However, I have safety bars in place, so failure just means it lands on the safety bars.

One of the reasons I like front squats (in addition to back squats would wreck my bulging disc). You lose it with them and can just dump it forward. Sure noisy, but easy enough to back out. Bench I always set the safety bars to just below touching the chest. Basically if at worst couldn't lift, could suck in the air and slide back. Lucky enough to have racks with enough spacing and my dimensions work out can do that if required (never have as I don't push if I feel I won't be able to make a rep, erring on side of caution still). That and always bench without clips on the bar. Gym signs saying always use them - fu** off, that's more not less dangerous. I'll take being able to tip it in worse case.
I've flat benched like 4 times since my calorie deficit started about 7 weeks ago (twice close grip/twice standard pressing) and once incline pressing and I definitely seem to be clipping the safeties a bit now (probably lost an inch around chest/ribs). Might have to drop the height down one more peg, though I'll test it with an empty bar (been mainly dumbbell pressing last few weeks)

I initially though it was the Smith Machine, then I changed it to a barbell rack, I think youre right.

Ive never liked the Smith Machine, for the simple reason, that I like to control the range of motion for any barbell exercise. I would probably argue that the Smith Machine is more of a deathtrap than a squat rack especially if safeties are not used properly.

Yes youre correct about the ego lift. I would argue in the gym that Smith Machines should not be loaded beyond 2 20kg plates on each side. If you think or can lift more than that, you should be really doing free weight.barbell exercises.

I actually have seen online the full incident from start to finish. Its graphic, it is educational and Im glad I did. It has made me a lot more consciously aware of being vigilant with lifts and I have thought about where I may possible not be doing lifts with almost 100% safety.

At the end of the day it was a combination of factors that killed her, IMO the bold parts were the biggest contributors if she had done these she would likely be alive today:

1) Didnt mentally prepare herself for the lift.
2) Ego lift
3) Lacked the upper body strength to control the barbell,
4) Lacked the lower body strength to squat the barbell
5) No spotters
6) No safeties
7) Lacked the basic understanding of what to do when you are squatting and hit failure. ie move forward and let the barbell drop

8) Having a child with her in the area, it definitely was a distraction. (not blaming the child at all)
9)Having a bench positioned in that manner provided the perfect scenario for her to be pinned
10) Her friend/partner/trainer really should have told her not to perform that exercise
11) Im confident she lacked the understanding of even performing the exercise with just a barbell and no weight.

12) long hair snagged under 180kg...just one more little distraction.
13) because of the bench...feet seem too wide than shoulder width for me...

I've been enjoying Zercher Squats for a similar reason, thanks to Coolangatta.

Also, other gym goers think I'm bad ass for doing them.

Benching with clips on the bar is dumb as f**k. Even worse if youre benching by yourself.

The plates wont move with the caveat if you are executing the movement correctly and using too many plates on each side.

By that I mean if youre benching 40kgs weights on each side of the bar, use 2*20kgs, if you start doing sh*t like using 4*10kg plates, its possible for the plates to slide. However if it is sliding its likely because you are not in control of the barbell, that being the case you shouldnt be lifting that much weight in the first place.

Ive helped a few kids benching at the gym, who hit failure and have the barbell trapped on them. Its not a big issue as at worse its just 1*20kg plate and I tell them to not have safeties so that they can slide it off if they hit failure.

Dont laugh, I actually use clips for my bench. Thats only because I do the OHP next and need clips and all the good ones are gone quickly. :$ :drunk:
However, I have safety bars in place, so failure just means it lands on the safety bars.
My barbell exercises across the week are Front Squats, Hip thrusts, deadlifts, power clean, OHP and bench. Of those only deadlifts and power cleans do I use clips. The rest I don't both be able to dump if required and as a means of seeing if I'm not keeping balanced across sides (the latter in general stopping the former).

My barbell exercises across the week are Front Squats, Hip thrusts, deadlifts, power clean, OHP and bench. Of those only deadlifts and power cleans do I use clips. The rest I don't both be able to dump if required and as a means of seeing if I'm not keeping balanced across sides (the latter in general stopping the former).
I'd like to incorporate more barbell exercises into my splits if I could, however when I try to front squat or OHP I get lower back compression the next day which I'm trying to eliminate (if I had the shoulder flexibility to back squat I'd imagine it'd be a similar problem)

Just seems dumbbells are best for me atm for over half my compounds

Only doing sumo deadlifts and a flat bench variation weekly

Then about fortnightly I'll do RDLs (though on weeks I don't do this I'll do KB swings or DB RDLs), then I'll do barbell rows/Tbar rows once a fortnight so I'm not taxing the lower back, then I might throw in incline bench every 3-4 weeks though I prefer DBs for that too.

Was training 4 days a week pull, push, legs, shoulders and arms but I feel that's my best maintenance split. Trying to spread it out to 5 days now to hit more areas, I do think this will work for me though seeing I adjust my volume/intensity daily as I'm doing fasted cardio most mornings now too.

• Monday pull
  • Tuesday push (shoulder and tricep focused)
  • Wednesday legs (sumo day)
  • Thursday normally cardio though sometimes a rest day
  • Friday upper (primarily a chest day now with dome rear delts and arms thrown in)
  • Saturday HIIT lower day, will either do a makeshift circuit or superset everything, farmer squats/BW squats/Bulgarians, KB swings, RDLs etc, basically everything I tried to do on sumo day after my sumos, but it taxes me, so only do calf raises and some sort of squat afterwards, so the Saturday will basically be accessory leg day
  • Sunday normally a rest day but will train/cardio if I miss a day, or if I had Thursday off (training chest tomorrow as I had Friday off)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back