Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Add me to the column of PTs being useless and annoying (especially those that operate in a gym).

Beyond the motivation element (ive paid them for todays session so i HAVE to go) they are useless.
I like to wait them out, most have a shelf life of 18-24 months before they move on.

Although in my gym they do seem to get a lot of people seeing them.

To teach you compound lift technique is one thing, but do you really need a PT if all your doing is using gym machines? Which is what I see a few do.

The majority of PTs I've seen over the years in commercial gyms have been annoying twats. They're usually in average shape themselves and carry an entitled attitude to space and equipment.

I left the last gym I trained at because there were too many PT ruining it.
Like over basic stuff like reserving multiple areas for "circuits" during busy times and not re-racking weights etc. They didn't like being told to pull their heads in but stuff them, having a paying client doesn't give them a free pass to avoid basic gym etiquette, and the gym staff always seemed to look the other way when it was a PT.

I honestly don’t know how people train at commercial gyms. I need the social side/etiquette of a powerlifting gym, everyone knows to put their weights away and offer a hand if required.

Irritating thing though: my gym is hosting a masters powerlifting competition and an older bloke came in the other day and the gym owner gave him a free session in the gym. He proceeded to load and bench 180kg, unload the plates, say thanks fellas and left as that was his final bench.

How the * do you walk in and bench 180kg?!

So…..my 194cm 15 (almost 16) year old son has been hitting the weights for footy. He looks to have lost some of his speed. IMO he needed to get more cardio in during the summer…he is around 94kg and pretty muscular. I feel he needs to drop a few kg to help his running.,,,thoughts?

So…..my 194cm 15 (almost 16) year old son has been hitting the weights for footy. He looks to have lost some of his speed. IMO he needed to get more cardio in during the summer…he is around 94kg and pretty muscular. I feel he needs to drop a few kg to help his running.,,,thoughts?

:openmouth:

Kid sounds like a beast. Reckon he'll be ready to go round 1 2023???

Send an email to info@richmondfc.com.au Don't let any other club get their mitts on him because they are rabble.

1650804296637.png

Jesus Christ. Honestly he’s got more weight than a bunch of kpp afl players.

I would absolutely be focused on running, very very few guys that big really “make it” in modern footy. Tomahawk is one of very few I can think of and clubs will happily draft a kid that size and let him develop in the gym after taking him.

Jesus Christ. Honestly he’s got more weight than a bunch of kpp afl players.

I would absolutely be focused on running, very very few guys that big really “make it” in modern footy. Tomahawk is one of very few I can think of and clubs will happily draft a kid that size and let him develop in the gym after taking him.
Sounds like Jack Hannath that played for Freo for a bit, seen the bloke up close and he was an absolute beast but had rubbish mobility when he played.

Sounds like Jack Hannath that played for Freo for a bit, seen the bloke up close and he was an absolute beast but had rubbish mobility when he played.
Dylan Buckley did a podcast about the gym hero playing zeros. Xavier Ellis said Buddy Franklin couldn’t do a single pull up but obviously is one of the all time greats.

Dan Gorringe on the other hand was an absolute beast in the gym but as everyone knows not the greatest player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's one for the germaphobes. Used the toilets about 3 hours after the gym opened. The air hand dryer had not been switched on. So either no one has washed hands today or no one has used the toilets. 🤷🏾‍♂️
and on air dryers. the ones that direct air in a strong downwards motion, that simply blows water off hands onto the floor, making the floor wet!

Here's one for the germaphobes. Used the toilets about 3 hours after the gym opened. The air hand dryer had not been switched on. So either no one has washed hands today or no one has used the toilets. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Do you have hand sanitiser stations at the gym? There's 4 or 5 at mine.

Typical morning today - everyone put their weights away except for our PT. After the last session he had he just disappeared.

Do you have hand sanitiser stations at the gym? There's 4 or 5 at mine.

Typical morning today - everyone put their weights away except for our PT. After the last session he had he just disappeared.
Yep, very few people use them though. Everyone given up on wiping down equipment with the anti bac wipes as well.

Got scolded by a PT this morning for my deadlift being to loud, I don’t drop the weights or anything (this was related to plates hitting the ground, not grunting) so politely told him to EABD.

My gym has a raised floor (as opposed to the floor being a slab of concrete) so it is pretty noisy but that’s not my problem.

Got scolded by a PT this morning for my deadlift being to loud, I don’t drop the weights or anything (this was related to plates hitting the ground, not grunting) so politely told him to EABD.

My gym has a raised floor (as opposed to the floor being a slab of concrete) so it is pretty noisy but that’s not my problem.
How many gym goers have headphones/earbuds in anyway so are just listening to music and can't hear you?

PT can GAGF

In general, guys not washing their hands after taking a leak is very common.

I have no issue with people deadlifting/pendlay rows, as always use headphones. Not to mention, its a gym, weights being dropped is to be expected.

However, admittedly I get shitty when I see a guy moving truck tyres around and or smashing it with a hammer. Even then, it is what it is, I accept it.

Im more offended/assaulted by pungent/offensive BO. I really wish I could tell one or two guys, to leave or shower before coming to the gym.

I find that one a bit tough, like if the PT has had a complaint (which it sounds like they havent in this case) then they kind of have to act on it.
The irony for me is that I find that the PT are the ones that are the ones that are most inconsiderate. As part of staff they should know better.

I see some not putting away weights, using equipment selfishly ie. hogging an area of the gym meaning no one can train there for an hour.

The irony for me is that I find that the PT are the ones that are the ones that are most inconsiderate. As part of staff they should know better.

I see some not putting away weights, using equipment selfishly ie. hogging an area of the gym meaning no one can train there for an hour.
Yeh i completely agree with this.

Personally i dont have an issue with guys dropping weights or yelling and carrying on but i also accept that for other gym goers its probably intimidating and unnecessary (acknowledging that the original post noted they had NOT dropped the weights)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back