Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Use to be a woman at the gym I'm at who would do a Les Mills Body Pump workout in the weight room in front of the DB rack and mirror. She'd place her phone on DB rack around the 15-17.5kg DBs, and hog a bench, a 5kg bar and plates, and whatever else you need for that s**t program, and be there for 50 mins or so while others work around her, trying to retrieve and then lift 35-40kg DBs while not getting poked in the eye from her squatting beside them.

Guys are definitely caught between a rock and a hard place.

Any sign of passive aggressiveness will be unacceptable. I have seen some frustrating workout routines over my gym journey, yes I agree with you, this behaviour is often seen.

Sometimes at the gym, it gets to a stage where I have seen 4-5 items left on different pieces of equipment, towels, top, drink bottle, gloves as an indication its "saved" just for them.

Enjoyed a Monday workout with only one PT operating.

I love when PT's dont have clients, it means the gym is basically empty.

As much as I want to go in today, unfortunately pulled the plug I know I am fighting off some sort of "virus" over the last few days, so decided to take the foot off the pedal and not go.

Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Enjoyed a Monday workout with only one PT operating.

I love when PT's dont have clients, it means the gym is basically empty.

As much as I want to go in today, unfortunately pulled the plug I know I am fighting off some sort of "virus" over the last few days, so decided to take the foot off the pedal and not go.
Thats been me the last week, it sucks, but the best you can do is what you are doing.
I cut back to one gym session and one light run, and was feeling a bit better so went out Sunday and at around an hour in and 30mins from home it started pissing down, feeling like crap again and back to square one.

Thats been me the last week, it sucks, but the best you can do is what you are doing.
I cut back to one gym session and one light run, and was feeling a bit better so went out Sunday and at around an hour in and 30mins from home it started pissing down, feeling like crap again and back to square one.
Thanks. :thumbsu:

I am feeling a lot better and even considered a late arvo workout, then thought if I am recovering from a bug, its better I just give myself another night and full day of recovery.

If I am ever under the weather, I definitely wouldnt do cardio after my weights, I think it personally exhausts my CNS and makes recovery a lot harder.

I think when you are physically/mentally unwell its best to workout within those constraints then pushing yourself too hard. What you are doing one weights and one light run is good as its minimal amount without overtaxing yourself.

Keep me and us posted in how you go.

Day off did wonders.

Had a great Push Day, did a PB for my Bench Press and that was with my shoulder sore, not sure from what (as it was before benching, probably slept badly on it) I presume it was one of the rotator cuff muscles and didnt impact my lifting, except for when I did rear delts, felt some soreness, but no pain.

Had a great run too.

All up a great gym day.

Thats not to say no one irritated me, lol. :D:$

This morning - see guy using the tricep dip bars as a squat rack. Seriously

It's genius and annoying at the same time

This morning - see guy using the tricep dip bars as a squat rack. Seriously

It's genius and annoying at the same time
Short odds offered that some f**ked up PT, taught him that.

Instead of doing simple proven and tested basic exercises that work, often PT will come up with stupid complicated methods instead.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I saw a guy yesterday squatting, he told me previously he couldnt squat deep, by that I mean breaking parallel.

Yet ironically he was comfortably breaking parallel and going lower during his squat warmup using just the barbell.
Should see my squats at the moment on the achilles rehab trail.

Uuuuuuugly

Should see my squats at the moment on the achilles rehab trail.

Uuuuuuugly
I feel for you champ, your mind wants to do and lift more, but the body cant.

Be patient, take your time and dont rush. You will get through it.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel for you champ, your mind wants to do and lift more, but the body cant.

Be patient, take your time and dont rush. You will get through it.
I got told yesterday that the 12 week scan (sounds like a pregnancy) is showing a big chuck of scar tissue on the graft section which may permanently limit flexibility in the tendon.

Its not the end of the world but its a setback, ive been doing well in the rehab session and progress is positive but after 13 weeks it feels slow and frustratin at times.

Use to be a woman

You wot?

oh.....

Use to be a woman at the gym I'm at who would do a Les Mills Body Pump workout in the weight room in front of the DB rack and mirror. She'd place her phone on DB rack around the 15-17.5kg DBs, and hog a bench, a 5kg bar and plates, and whatever else you need for that s**t program, and be there for 50 mins or so while others work around her, trying to retrieve and then lift 35-40kg DBs while not getting poked in the eye from her squatting beside them.

It'd be a real shame for a patron to upon putting their weights back accidentally drop said weight on the phone. Real shame

I got told yesterday that the 12 week scan (sounds like a pregnancy) is showing a big chuck of scar tissue on the graft section which may permanently limit flexibility in the tendon.

Its not the end of the world but its a setback, ive been doing well in the rehab session and progress is positive but after 13 weeks it feels slow and frustratin at times.
Dont forget flexibility can improve over time, ONCE the healing process is completed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Short odds offered that some f**ked up PT, taught him that.

Instead of doing simple proven and tested basic exercises that work, often PT will come up with stupid complicated methods instead.

Gotta justify the cost somehow, get them doing all kinds of weird s**t to trick them in to thinking they're getting some kind of special insight.

Ironically, many PTs have no concept whatsoever of teaching proper form for basic lifts which is mostly what someone should be getting for their money.

Gotta justify the cost somehow, get them doing all kinds of weird s**t to trick them in to thinking they're getting some kind of special insight.

Ironically, many PTs have no concept whatsoever of teaching proper form for basic lifts which is mostly what someone should be getting for their money.

Its a good point, if all a PT is doing is using machines with you, I mean FFS its a total waste of your money if you know how to use a machine.

At least when you use dumbbells or barbells there is plenty of technique that can be taught to inexperienced gym clients.

Even if I had money to burn, I still wouldnt get a PT. I enjoy my gym experience on my own. With that said, if they would put away weights and set up machines for me lol, the I guess I would pay them.

Fortunately I have noticed fewer PT's with clients in the last week, which is awesome.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Its a good point, if all a PT is doing is using machines with you, I mean FFS its a total waste of your money if you know how to use a machine.

At least when you use dumbbells or barbells there is plenty of technique that can be taught to inexperienced gym clients.

Even if I had money to burn, I still wouldnt get a PT. I enjoy my gym experience on my own. With that said, if they would put away weights and set up machines for me lol, the I guess I would pay them.

Fortunately I have noticed fewer PT's with clients in the last week, which is awesome.

Machines as a progression towards free weights is sensible with newbies, but not having some kind of process or goal to it means they're likely not a very good PT.

A recent story I heard of was a girl who was quite obese, with no history of exercise, going to a PT, where she got given bulk star jumps and ended up with a fracture in her foot. Now that's a bad PT right there.

Machines as a progression towards free weights is sensible with newbies, but not having some kind of process or goal to it means they're likely not a very good PT.

A recent story I heard of was a girl who was quite obese, with no history of exercise, going to a PT, where she got given bulk star jumps and ended up with a fracture in her foot. Now that's a bad PT right there.

When I was the heavyweight champion of the world at 130kgs lol, when I returned to the gym, I took things so slowly.

I lifted light weights and slowly over time improved and increased my weights and exercises.

Its so sad to hear your story. Obese people have it hard enough as it is, without bullshit PT's making them do f**ktard exercises. All PT should be doing with an obese person that has never exercised/long lay off, is to make the gym a fun and happy experience. Then over time, you change gears.

Ive seen PT's push their clients stupidly hard. Making them doing dumb arse tricks, like you said star jumps etc etc. Your goal as a PT, is to make it fun for them so they look forward to each sessions, so that consistency will lead to better health overall.

I've said it before the only time I've ever done repeat sessions with a PT was the guy who was studying to work in rehab at hospitals.

Apart from the fact that they already had a Uni degree behind them and were doing post grad and placement in hospitals, they weren't a no pain no gain type of person, they were a yeah that pain isn't supposed to happen lets work out what we need to fix type of person

actually made it worthwhile having someone looking over my form and helping fix imbalances as we went along

owen87 when I returned to the gym after a long lay off, I had PT come up to me while I was on the treadmill trying to basically sell himself to me.

When you are fat pig and trying to quietly train without anyone see you exercise and have someone do this to you, its a very off putting and belittling experience that made me want to stop.

However, my inspiration came from a guy that I saw walking laps of the pool at around 180kgs. I thought if he can feel comfortably doing that in just shorts and ignoring the "noise", then so can I.

I've said it before the only time I've ever done repeat sessions with a PT was the guy who was studying to work in rehab at hospitals.

Apart from the fact that they already had a Uni degree behind them and were doing post grad and placement in hospitals, they weren't a no pain no gain type of person, they were a yeah that pain isn't supposed to happen lets work out what we need to fix type of person

actually made it worthwhile having someone looking over my form and helping fix imbalances as we went along

I think that was a wise decision.

Dont get me wrong, I think PT's can provide a decent service and there is a need for them in some circumstances as you alluded to, which I do advocate.

I just think they are a waste of time and money in most instances.

I also think that for some people, a PT provides them the confidence to train in what can be an intimidating environment, which is great, but its a lot of money to pay for just that.

I know a guy at my gym that on the quiet trains people occasionally, its not really training per se, but more like a gym buddy, which is ideal as they get to learn about a gym and how to do a few things for not much money at all.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
owen87 when I returned to the gym after a long lay off, I had PT come up to me while I was on the treadmill trying to basically sell himself to me.

When you are fat pig and trying to quietly train without anyone see you exercise and have someone do this to you, its a very off putting and belittling experience that made me want to stop.

However, my inspiration came from a guy that I saw walking laps of the pool at around 180kgs. I thought if he can feel comfortably doing that in just shorts and ignoring the "noise", then so can I.

100% credit to anyone who makes the choice to get out and try to get themselves in to a better place. I've never understood those who put down anyone who doesn't look super fit as somehow being in the wrong or deserving of ridicule for doing some exercise.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

The bolded is the biggest benefit of a coach / PT / trainer IMO, teach you how to do the movements correctly and keep the ego in check.

No pain, no gain is a real misleading sentiment, exercise shouldn't cause pain when done properly.

There's plenty of motivated PTs out there that really help people, but unfortunately there's also plenty who have no idea what they're doing and are ripping people off.

100% credit to anyone who makes the choice to get out and try to get themselves in to a better place. I've never understood those who put down anyone who doesn't look super fit as somehow being in the wrong or deserving of ridicule for doing some exercise.
I admit the one thing I am 100% very guilty of is that I privately in my head, put down anyone that ego lifts with absolute crap/shocking technique or short range of motion with every single exercise. I wouldnt say put down per se, but I guess I look at lifts and look for errors so that I can learn from that. I never play with my phone, so naturally there is lot of idle time for me between sets.

There are times when short range of motion could be used in order to attempt bigger lifts, but not for every single set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back