Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of all of the "tripod use" in this thread, I had the same thing happen at a different Anytime Fitness I went to a few times on a Wednesday night only (who knows if they're doing it on other nights too)... there's this couple who are in their 50's, at least, who are doing the tripod+recording of their entire workouts, both the man and woman! wow. It's such a strange thing to see people that age getting all "look at me" like twenty-something instagram "influencers"... the weirdest part is neither of them have anything like what you would consider a "worth looking at on instagram physique". The only thing that really irritates me is the fact they use such giant tripods which take up a few metres of space so myself and other patrons have to move around them carefully.

At another Anytime Fitness I went to, much later at night so nobody actually recording their workouts at the time, had signs up saying basically "this space is not for recording, unless otherwise pre-organised", so at least some gym staff have issues with it.

My gym's shitty benches, squat racks and bars have finally gotten to me.
Have leased what is in essence a 4 car garage so I can bring all my gym stuff up from Melbourne (not the only reason; gonna use it as a workshop to build my camper + storage for a trailer and other bits and bobs when I get them).
Won't have a money to splurge on too much new kit straight away (just another bar or 2) but hoping (at some point) to have a comp bench press, power rack, monolift & deadlift platform in there which should take up the back half (it's 5x12m) and leave the front half for my tools etc.
It's about 1km from the gym so I'll probs keep my membership for the time being so I can use the machines etc for accessories.

Couldn't help but chuckle to myself today - a 'no warm up, it's bicep day' guy was doing what I think were meant to be concentration curls.... with the middle part of his forearm resting on his leg (i.e. below the elbow joint, not above it). Bless him.

Couldn't help but chuckle to myself today - a 'no warm up, it's bicep day' guy was doing what I think were meant to be concentration curls.... with the middle part of his forearm resting on his leg (i.e. below the elbow joint, not above it). Bless him.

Wrist curls/extensions?

Speaking of all of the "tripod use" in this thread, I had the same thing happen at a different Anytime Fitness I went to a few times on a Wednesday night only (who knows if they're doing it on other nights too)... there's this couple who are in their 50's, at least, who are doing the tripod+recording of their entire workouts, both the man and woman! wow. It's such a strange thing to see people that age getting all "look at me" like twenty-something instagram "influencers"... the weirdest part is neither of them have anything like what you would consider a "worth looking at on instagram physique". The only thing that really irritates me is the fact they use such giant tripods which take up a few metres of space so myself and other patrons have to move around them carefully.

At another Anytime Fitness I went to, much later at night so nobody actually recording their workouts at the time, had signs up saying basically "this space is not for recording, unless otherwise pre-organised", so at least some gym staff have issues with it.
As I said earlier to other people I have recorded workouts but only at 1am when noones there and a very simple setup with my gopro.

I've seen Instagram influencers now, wearing the most revealing outfits, spending 5 minutes talking about s**t while mic'd up. They do the cringiest videos where there is a guy lifting 120kg deadlift but they use lots of 5's and 10s to make it look like a lot of weight, he struggles then she goes in and easily reps it. That's just one of many examples of the types of videos being made. I've got no issue with technique videos etc but a lot of it is just junk for followers and likes.

One lady I saw had a ******* robotic tripod that followed her around the gym.

As I said earlier to other people I have recorded workouts but only at 1am when noones there and a very simple setup with my gopro.

I've seen Instagram influencers now, wearing the most revealing outfits, spending 5 minutes talking about s**t while mic'd up. They do the cringiest videos where there is a guy lifting 120kg deadlift but they use lots of 5's and 10s to make it look like a lot of weight, he struggles then she goes in and easily reps it. That's just one of many examples of the types of videos being made. I've got no issue with technique videos etc but a lot of it is just junk for followers and likes.

One lady I saw had a ******* robotic tripod that followed her around the gym.

Sad part is I can't even say this s**t doesn't happy in powerlifting gyms anymore.
Girl I know (who started dating her coach in very sterotypical fashion) looks like she has a ******* film crew following her around everywhere.
Fair enough if you're a household name and filming for a doco ala Pumping Iron but ffs you're ranked 1055th in the world!

A former mate (always did roids etc but REALLY got into when he started bodybuilding and completely lost his mind) has one of those professional edits put together by a small film crew.

Have to admit he looked absolutely jacked in it and I did think it would be cool to do for the archives but it was also cringey as s**t. He had it on his socials (where he had about 500 actual followers and 50k bots and boughts).

I admit to posting the odd gym selfie, my socials are a scrapbook of my life and I spend 5-6 days a week in the gym so it makes sense but some of the effort people go to when they’re clearly not making money or doing anything in a professional sense is pretty odd to me.

First time in 20 years I've seen someone bring their dog to the gym, but this morning in it walked.

I always thought about bringing my dog to the gym when I first rescued it, as at the time the owner always brought his dog in but it really didn't annoy anybody as it was so docile... mine was just young and needed training (which it now has had since from me learning it all myself) but the experience of so many people while on a leash would have been helpful with training... no big deal as long as the dog doesn't get in anybody's way, I think. I'm probably biased though as I love dogs, especially now after learning how to train them (via Zak George on YouTube, if anybody was interested to know).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought about bringing my dog to the gym when I first rescued it, as at the time the owner always brought his dog in but it really didn't annoy anybody as it was so docile... mine was just young and needed training (which it now has had since from me learning it all myself) but the experience of so many people while on a leash would have been helpful with training... no big deal as long as the dog doesn't get in anybody's way, I think. I'm probably biased though as I love dogs, especially now after learning how to train them (via Zak George on YouTube, if anybody was interested to know).
This dog was very chill, may have even been a guide dog in training. Sat in the 'couch' area and didn't disturb anyone

First time in 20 years I've seen someone bring their dog to the gym, but this morning in it walked.

john-wick-dog.gif

he walks in he can do whatever the f he wants

This dog was very chill, may have even been a guide dog in training. Sat in the 'couch' area and didn't disturb anyone
A mate of mine has a companion dog for his PTSD after being in East Timor. It goes with him everywhere.

A mate of mine has a companion dog for his PTSD after being in East Timor. It goes with him everywhere.
Another possibility. It seemed very well trained/behaved

My brothers powerlifting gym allows it

Old owner of a gym I briefly worked at did it too, like around 15 years ago

Will never be at franchise chains, just big warehouse gyms

I helped train a guide dog and used to bring it to the gym. The hardest part is actually keeping other people away from them and not pet them as they're supposed to be in working mode. The dog itself was better behaved then most the roided up guys in there.
gteat point mate. though when in training dont the doggies have coats/harnesses containing messages advising people not to touch/pet?

This pain I'm experiencing post-workouts is really starting to irritate me now. It's been just on two weeks since I've gotten back into it- and only the other day I started (really light) weights. The general soreness in my legs/arms I can handle- but the lower back pain is just incredible. I'm screaming when I put on pants or shoes+ socks. :$

Any tips on how to avoid this. Or do I file this under "too bad you're old now/out of shape" just suck it up. :(
Did it get better and did any of the bro-advice on here help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back