Is 100,000 members in 2018 possible?

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I hope we crash through the 90,000 barrier the important figure is the overall revenue we make out of membership. That's the only real way of comparing ourselves to other clubs.
Membership numbers can be easily inflated by clubs who have a high number of 3 game memberships and the like.

As much as I hope we crash through the 90,000 barrier the important figure is the overall revenue we make out of membership. That's the only real way of comparing ourselves to other clubs.
Membership numbers can be easily inflated by clubs who have a high number of 3 game memberships and the like.
Yield ;)

True. It's actually frustrating we won for this reason LOL. I was looking at an additional business expense regardless of how we went this year. Now I just look like I'm joining the bandwagon but in reality this was always my plan for next season and hopefully beyond.
Trying to separate myself from bandwagoners is so hard. I’m still wearing my Richmond cap. Yes, I don’t normally in November, but I was wearing it all year too. I remember because all the oppo scum bagged me for it.

Had our memberships renewed this week. We tried to see if we could get an extra reserved seat for my daughter (there appeared to be one free at the end of where we sit during the season) but couldn't get it. Apparently there is now a waiting list for reserved seats in our area. They said there is a waiting list for reserved seats everywhere. The only thing there isn't a waiting list for is a GA.
Wouldn't surprise me at all , they might have to build another stand at the G to accommodate us

Trying to separate myself from bandwagoners is so hard. I’m still wearing my Richmond cap. Yes, I don’t normally in November, but I was wearing it all year too. I remember because all the oppo scum bagged me for it.
I have had the same Richmond sticker on the front of my hard hat for 5 years now. No ones ever said a thing before on work sites now I'm a bandwagoner. Lucky my workers step in and tell them I'm mad in love with the Tigers.

Why I never go to Hawthorn games. I'm a fan of pets but some of the members act like complete galahs and parrots. You call them out on their dog behaviour and they get all sheepish.

Why I never go to Hawthorn games. I'm a fan of pets but some of the members act like complete galahs and parrots. You call them out on their dog behaviour and they get all sheepish.
Really? I find they just sit there, hardly clap and rarely cheer unless they are winning by a fair bit. Absolutely no atmosphere at the Hawks games.

The AFL pays 75% of a GA entry for every aligned member that turns up....Same rate 'away' club memberships pay.

Not quite the same as what the club could/would make if they could sell reserved seats in those prime spaces.
That's rubbish as AFL members from all clubs are entitled to go to matches, not just those from competing clubs. There are way more members than there are seats. Massive revenue for the AFL. How does the club get hold of those seats. Yeah the AFL will hand over that revenue to Richmond... NOT.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the vast majority of the clubs (if not all) have 3 game memberships.So I can't really see the problem in counting them.

The simple reality is everybody has different circumstances and the 3 game membership offers flexibility. Not everybody is as big a fan where they can go to the game every second week. Or they may be a big fan but can't go because they have more going in their lives than football.

Revenue is important, but three game memberships (actually any membership which adds to the tally) also offer revenue indirectly. It helps with things like the club attracting sponsors or advertising.

Also apart from revenue, having a high membership number can influence the AFL make decisions in our favour. Look at how we are playing Geelong at the MCG for their home game this year. Carlton are now carrying that can of playing at skilled stadium and playing the Kangaroos in Tassie. They probably started to realise that they are starting to lose this influence and may be one of the reasons they appointed Liddle as their CEO.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the estimated 90,000 Tigers supporters is accurate (Prelim), then 90K is fair and reasonable. I know of at least 3 families that dropped off, and they will be jumping back on the wagon.

this

its been discussed on the industry board previously - the afl gives clubs what they consider the base level value of the "membership". with clubs now having variable pricing, it means for clubs with higher cost memberships they are getting a fair shortfall compared to buying direct

AFL membership is awesome for the individual, and makes the most sense for them.

clubs lose out however, because not only do they get a discount return on the membership, they miss out entirely on the premium value of that membership
From what i remember the clubs get back from the AFL about $130 per afl club support member.

From what i remember the clubs get back from the AFL about $130 per afl club support member.

nope - someone on the industry board mentioned its a fraction of that (off mem $70, but dont quote me, id have to look it up). apparently the afl determine what a fair membership compo is, and its well below what most clubs charge under modern variable membership pricing

the big issue is afl members are screwing their supported club. they are prepared to pay hundreds of dollars a year for premium access to footy, but the club get less than they would if they bought a H11. Great option for the individual, crap option for the club

i dont begrudge it, but anyone whos an afl member who thinks they are benefiting the club is lying to themselves

100,000 - No
90,000 possible if we win flag
It’s weird. I read this post and my natural reaction is still.. pftt hehehe if we win the flag ..
And then it hits me.. *......

I'm not 100% sure but I think the vast majority of the clubs (if not all) have 3 game memberships.So I can't really see the problem in counting them.

The simple reality is everybody has different circumstances and the 3 game membership offers flexibility. Not everybody is as big a fan where they can go to the game every second week. Or they may be a big fan but can't go because they have more going in their lives than football.

Revenue is important, but three game memberships (actually any membership which adds to the tally) also offer revenue indirectly. It helps with things like the club attracting sponsors or advertising.

Also apart from revenue, having a high membership number can influence the AFL make decisions in our favour. Look at how we are playing Geelong at the MCG for their home game this year. Carlton are now carrying that can of playing at skilled stadium and playing the Kangaroos in Tassie. They probably started to realise that they are starting to lose this influence and may be one of the reasons they appointed Liddle as their CEO.
Yes, all of what you said is true. Need to look at overall benefits & profits that members bring. Also, many of the 3 game members will go on to have children or nephews/nieces who may become Tiger fans by association. Some of them will influence friends etc to follow the Tiges. It's about more than yield of the membership sold.

nope - someone on the industry board mentioned its a fraction of that (off mem $70, but dont quote me, id have to look it up). apparently the afl determine what a fair membership compo is, and its well below what most clubs charge under modern variable membership pricing

the big issue is afl members are screwing their supported club. they are prepared to pay hundreds of dollars a year for premium access to footy, but the club get less than they would if they bought a H11. Great option for the individual, crap option for the club

i dont begrudge it, but anyone whos an afl member who thinks they are benefiting the club is lying to themselves
Nope- it was specifically told to us when we transferred out from VFL members to AFL members that that's what the clubs get in return. Don't know where they got the $70 figure from. This value was about what the club season ticket membership cost at the time, its just that it hasn't gone up at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back