Is 18 Teams two too many?

Remove this Banner Ad

16 teams merge 2 vic team or Gold Coast and 1 vic team.

2 conferences of 8

South West conference

West Coast
Fremantle
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
4 vic teams - these teams can alternate each year with different conferences

North East Conference
Brisbane
Gold Coast/other vic team
Sydney
West Sydney
4 Vic teams

Play each team in same conference twice - 14 games

Play each team in other conference once - 8 games. 22 games in all

Then top 4 in each division play off and the two conference finalists play off in a grand final

NSW QLD SA and WA dont reaalllly need two teams - all going for the 1 team is each state would create unity.

Theres your 4 less clubs
does Victoria need umpteen teams then? going for unity and all.
in this regard however we need state of origin back. where the powerhouses play.
imagine the quality.

There was no merger.
I am also a current shareholder of the Fitzroy Football Club and was a shareholder of the same club in 1996.

it may stick in your craw still but they did merge. to all outsiders looking in, they merged.
the fitzroy fc as we knew is no more after merging with the brisbane bears who took the players and history and ran to three premierships.
i feel your passion. i would still have a bad taste in my mouth if the tigers had or were to merge.
merge/relocation is a dirty word but i think the reality is they need to happen.

16 teams merge 2 vic team or Gold Coast and 1 vic team.

2 conferences of 8

South West conference

West Coast
Fremantle
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
4 vic teams - these teams can alternate each year with different conferences

North East Conference
Brisbane
Gold Coast/other vic team
Sydney
West Sydney
4 Vic teams

Play each team in same conference twice - 14 games

Play each team in other conference once - 8 games. 22 games in all

Then top 4 in each division play off and the two conference finalists play off in a grand final

1. It does very little to ease the travel burden on WA clubs, which I accept is real.

2. It permanently limits the opportunities for me to watch a Nic Nat or an Eddie Betts play. I dont like that, the players will change but the issue will remain.

3. It will lead to inequity as the conferences are selected on physical location, currently previous years ladder position makes some attempt to take this into account.

Apart from that maybe

it may stick in your craw still but they did merge. to all outsiders looking in, they merged.
the fitzroy fc as we knew is no more after merging with the brisbane bears who took the players and history and ran to three premierships.
i feel your passion. i would still have a bad taste in my mouth if the tigers had or were to merge.
merge/relocation is a dirty word but i think the reality is they need to happen.

So who 'needs' to merge?

How many?

Would it be better to go back a level & stay in their community, like Fitzroy?

So who 'needs' to merge?

How many?

Would it be better to go back a level & stay in their community, like Fitzroy?

the Fitzroy merge is a good template.
there are teams in melb who could merge with gold coast.
vic team could go to tassie.
vic teams could merge.
I prefer a relegation system myself with draft lotto. after streamlining of course.
as for how many that is problematical. i would like to see an even number remain.

So meet at a grand final on a ground one conference never plays on while the other conference plays most of its games there

Great

If you had have read my follow up post, you’d know that’s not what I would have, but thanks for playing anyway.

Edit: I think you quoted the wrong post

Last edited:
1. It does very little to ease the travel burden on WA clubs, which I accept is real.

2. It permanently limits the opportunities for me to watch a Nic Nat or an Eddie Betts play. I dont like that, the players will change but the issue will remain.

3. It will lead to inequity as the conferences are selected on physical location, currently previous years ladder position makes some attempt to take this into account.

Apart from that maybe

1.) at least travelling to South Australia and Victoria more than Queensland and New South Wales will reduce air time. They have to travel anyway not much they can do about it.

2.) You would see them play once a year not much different to now, would play in Sydney once every year, alternate between Sydney and GWS. Maybe just make the finals final 8 and crossover teams from each conference.

3.) Same thing happens in the NBA always going to be inequality and the poorer conference will get found out in the finals anyway as I suggested if its crossed over as a final 8 not just each conference final winner playing each other in the grand final

it may stick in your craw still but they did merge.

No they did not. Even the Deed of Arangement signed by the Brisbane Bears, the administrator of Fitzroy and the AFL states very clearly that the Fitzroy Football Club and the Brisbane Bears to be rebranded as the Brisbane Lions remain seperate entities. Two clubs did NOT merge into one.

to all outsiders looking in, they merged.

"Outsiders" have been influenced by AFL propaganda. I guess if you repeat a lie often enough and loudly enough, the masses will come to believe it.

The Supreme Court of Victoria confirmed in 2010 that there was no merger and the Brisbane Bears are the same club as the Brisbane Lions. Fitzroy Football Club still exists in its own right and now plays in a different competition. Hawthorn, Footscray and North Melbourne didn't become different clubs when they switched from the VFA competition to the VFL competition in 1925. Why is Fitzroy different?

The Fitzroy Football Club left the AFL competition. The Brisbane Bears rebranded with AFL owned logos to look more like Fitzroy and had priority access to eight Fitzroy players from their 1996 list. That's all that happened.

They won't happen under the current climate. Even the AFL can't make clubs merge or relocate (unless they own them). What they can do is boot them from the competition with a 75% affirmative vote from the other 17 clubs. That's what happened to Fitzroy.

Last edited:

How can you say that when your own club was absoluteluy stony broke, literally begging for change on the streets, and has turned it aound?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the Fitzroy merge is a good template.

Five - six games in Melbourne per year?

Why do you think the Fitzroy board was so desperate to merge with a Melbourne based club?

No team will ever voluntarily "merge" with an interstate club, based on the "Fitzroy template". They know what the future is for their Melbourne -based supporters.

Five - six games in Melbourne per year?

Why do you think the Fitzroy board was so desperate to merge with a Melbourne based club?

No team will ever voluntarily "merge" with an interstate club, based on the "Fitzroy template". They know what the future is for their Melbourne -based supporters.
well with that in mind the afl should then look to merge victorian clubs.
but if they are building the game nationally well they can't continue to have this crappy product representing them in the gold coast for example. neither can they afford to ignore tasmania.
i think you are right though victoria is where it is at for merging teams.

Given the boosted TV viewers and $$$ the AFL is raking in I highly doubt we'll be reducing down from 18.
If anything we'll see another two created in 10+ years time once the AFLW has settled. This would also finally allow a 'play every team once'.

No they did not. Even the Deed of Arangement signed by the Brisbane Bears, the administrator of Fitzeoy and the AFL states very clearly that the Fitzroy Football Club and the Brisbane Bears to be rebranded as the Brisbane Lions remain seperate entities. Two clubs did NOT merge into one.

"Outsiders" have been influenced by AFL propaganda. I guess if you repeat a lie often enough and loudly enough, the masses will come to believe it.

The Supreme Court of Victoria confirmed in 2010 that there was no merger and the Brisbane Bears are the same club as the Brisbane Lions. Fitzroy Football Club still exists in its own right and now plays in a different competition. Hawthorn, Footscray and North Melbourne didn't become different clubs when they switched from the VFA competition to the VFL competition in 1925. Why is Fitzroy different?

The Fitzroy Football Club left the AFL competition. The Brisbane Bears rebranded with AFL owned logos to look more like Fitzroy and had prioorty access to eight Fitzroy players from their 1996 list. That's all that happened.

They won't happen under the current climate. Even the AFL can't make clubs merge or relocate (unless they own them). What they can do is boot them from the competition with a 75% affirmative vote from the other 17 clubs. That's what happened to Fitzroy.

Well if we expand the comp for some reason then I vote we bring Fitzroy back, * it, the afl prop up teams wherever they want anyway

I'm going to cautiously agree we could lose 2 teams, but going to steer away from which teams they should be.

9 games a week is providing us with some mediocre footy.

The AFL cannot merge or relocate any club it does not own and that includes all Melbourne based clubs. The AFL issues a licence to clubs to compete in the AFL competition.

That's why they couldn't even merge Fitzroy against their will. Despite the claims of the AFL and subsequently many posters on here. Fitzroy did not move to Brisbane. They still exist in Melbourne.

And how's that going to happen?

Conferences would never work with our small population. I reckon eventually we will have 2 more teams(20) and play each other once and one home state rival. There will be more bye/split rounds to give rest but still have 6-8 games on every week for the fans.
The WA teams could consider a couple of road trips(2games in each trip) each year where the AFL help with fixturing? If they did a couple of double up road trips and one less trip because of 20 game season. That’s potentially only 6-7 return flights per year. Quite achievable if the will was there.

but if they are building the game nationally well they can't continue to have this crappy product representing them in the gold coast for example. neither can they afford to ignore tasmania.
You think?

Still the VFL clings on...2 teams from Vic need to go saints and north would be the first in the block. Bulldogs saved themselves.
To the numpties saying get rid of the interstate teams eho do you think saved your sorry little VFL in the first place?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back