Queensland
2 teams

South Australia
2 teams

Western Australia
2 teams

Tasmania
1 team

With the idea of potentially adding another team in Ballarat in the next 2 decades.

Again I'd leave it. Further examination of the game will reveal the 6.5k crowd. Brisbane and GC would have done better in Mildura. You're trying to argue yourself out of existence, it's becoming obvious.
How was your crowd on the weekend at your home ground in a city of 4m or so ? Looked to be about 4 people on the TV screen, I guess you wouldn't have run out of beer!

How was your crowd on the weekend at your home ground in a city of 4m or so ? Looked to be about 4 people on the TV screen, I guess you wouldn't have run out of beer!
Telling the truth is just beyond you guys eh?

Easy to look up the crowd

The club hasn't allowed Spotless to run out of beer as far as I know.

Telling the truth is just beyond you guys eh?

Easy to look up the crowd

The club hasn't allowed Spotless to run out of beer as far as I know.
I did look up the crowd and I also saw some of the first qtr on the TV and there must have been a rush of people who arrived after the 1st qtr maybe it was all the defense personnel with their free tickets.

I did look up the crowd and I also saw some of the first qtr on the TV and there must have been a rush of people who arrived after the 1st qtr maybe it was all the defense personnel with their free tickets.
How many times, the Cameras aren't on the members side. On a cold windy day with showers even the Eagles supporters were mostly on our side under cover with heaters in the stands. Those that weren't probably didn't realise they didn't have to stay in their booked seats.

How many times, the Cameras aren't on the members side. On a cold windy day with showers even the Eagles supporters were mostly on our side under cover with heaters in the stands. Those that weren't probably didn't realise they didn't have to stay in their booked seats.
If you say so but after your comments the week before....

Folks, 18 teams isn't too many, its just that they are all squeezed into 1 competition.

I hate conferences but love divisions and aussie footy needs it. The talent pool of elite players isnt that deep, but the pool of very good players is. Problem is only 60 players are drafted each year.

Solution is to create a premier division (1) with 10-12 clubs and a second division with as many. This allows all clubs in each division to play each other twice. Promotion and relegation would apply to the bottom and top two. Additional teams for the second division via promoted state league clubs ( state league premiers).

Draft moves to a lottery system across the 2 divisions, salary caps still apply, player loans and mid season trading also embraced across the divisions.

Bring it on, but leave the game itself alone and do not create any news clubs, promote existing history and passion

In an ideal world the AFL would look like this

Melbourne
6 teams

Geelong
1 team

New South Wales
2 teams

Queensland
2 teams

South Australia
2 teams

Western Australia
2 teams

Tasmania
1 team

With the idea of potentially adding another team in Ballarat in the next 2 decades.
Id like to see another team in SA and WA. Esp with Adel Oval and Perth Stadium built, those stadiums should be getting used twice a week.

take 2 vic team licences and send them to those states.
Tassie team takes the 3rd vic licence.
However, that won't happen.

Making it a 20 team comp and 19 game season with a top 12 finals campaign is more likely.

I've thought for ages there are too many teams and the way forward is two mergers in Melbourne. This would obviously be painful but would improve standards.

But maybe the way forward is the 2 Division model. I like the idea of 2 x 10 teams, with the two extra teams coming from WA and SA. Sorry Tas, sfa fans watch either cricket or footy there.

Broadcasters would like it - more games. Maybe Monday or Thursday nights would be reserved for Div 2 games (would keep Carlton, Saints and EFC fans happy).

South Australia could not support a third AFL club, and despite the larger population I doubt Western Australia would either. Which WAFL club would be the most realistic chance?
I think WA's position is different than SA and you cant lump them together. It's experiencing very strong growth on long term trends, despite a glitch with the end of the mining boom. Throw a licence and the AFL distribution at any of them and they'd presumably leap at the chance. New club more likely though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'interstate' clubs should aim to form their own league. With a team from Tassie they'll cover five states and can call themselves the Real Australian Football League and let the VFL clubs and fans get their hearts' desire, which is to play other VFL clubs at the MCG and call themselves the VFL again.

At the end of the season we could have a finals series between the two conferences with GF at a neutral ground.

Advantages (for 'interstate' clubs):
Mediocre teams won't win premierships through home advantage
End the pretence that a parochial Victorian comp is 'national'
No more Dwayne Russell
Return of State of Origin
Drafting and player movement will get a lot more interesting
'Interstate' clubs will no longer be defined by relationship to Victoria
Melbourne footy media can keep on doing what they're doing

Everyone wins.

Melbourne footy media can keep on doing what they're doing

... and they would not notice the change for a season or two. Robbo would have swallowed umpteen slabs of coronas and to have consumed the world's production of Kebabs and Dominos before he got off his "bring back the Hird" schtick - will take decades - before he'd notice.

In an ideal world the AFL would look like this

Melbourne
6 teams

Geelong
1 team

New South Wales
2 teams

Queensland
2 teams

South Australia
2 teams

Western Australia
2 teams

Tasmania
1 team

I think 5 Melbourne, 1 Geelong would work better.
Let Collingwood stay as is because we all need a club to hate and merge everyone else.
Bulldogs and Essendon (West, Royal blue with red sash)
Carlton and North (North, Royal Blues)
Richmond and Melbourne (City/East, Yellow and black yoke)
Hawthorn and St Kilda (South East, Brown gold and red tri-panel)

I have no doubt the s**t standard of football we are seeing (bar my side who are just shithouse), for the most part, is a delayed reaction to the two new sides coming in. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever.
Take all those players from the GC and the GWS and divvy them up to the other 16.
What do you get?
....yep.

I have no doubt the s**t standard of football we are seeing (bar my side who are just shithouse), for the most part, is a delayed reaction to the two new sides coming in. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever.
Take all those players from the GC and the GWS and divvy them up to the other 16.
What do you get?
....yep.
Boredom for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No different to saying that axing 2 of the underperforming Victorian clubs would do the same.

Thats also fact.

Look, Im not taking a shot at the GWS so you guys calm ya farm.
Just saying...it amuses me in the media when they all loose their s**t over the standard of the game.
We introduced 2 new lists of 80-90 players a few years back....lol, whatamimissin??

Look, Im not taking a shot at the GWS so you guys calm ya farm.
Just saying...it amuses me in the media when they all loose their s**t over the standard of the game.
We introduced 2 new lists of 80-90 players a few years back....lol, whatamimissin??

I was just pointing out the same could be said either way. Not me needing to calm the farm.

Yep we put 2 teams in new areas that will grow the junior paths and the amount of people playing the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back