Is 2020 the best premiership ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

So how do you explain the (misguided) sense of superiority many Tigers hav

I like the tigers. Those two books written by Konrad Marshall are two of my favourite sports books, but a significant portion of the supporters on bigfooty have become an absolute pain since the team became good.
Did you know that there are some Richmond supporters who, even now, continually refuse to admit that all of their recent premierships are undeserved.
Absolutely outrageous arrogance. You have every right to be a salty bad sport in the face of this misplaced and unforgivable display of superiority.

The MCG is a neutral ground on Grand Final day for a number of reasons that we have been over several times. The stats over the last 30 odd years support this.

This year has has exposed your previous years of whinging as nothing more than bad sportsmanship about Richmonds success.
Since 2017 you've insisted that the The Tigers only defeated the Crows because MCG. You argued that the Crows were a better club and the game in Adelaide in April was a far better reflection of September form than September form itself. That the MCG give its tenants a 10 goal advantage.
In 2018 comparison of the game played between Collingwood and the Eagles a couple of weeks prior to the grand final indicated a less than 1 goal advantage. You chose to ignore that. The past 30 years of statistics indicate that there is no advantage for the Victorian team. You chose also to ignore that.
In fact the statistics indicate that Non Victorian teams are advantaged in the H&A season and in the finals and the odds even out for the Grand Final. You also choose to ignore that.

You have been proven wrong time and time again, yet you and others still whinge infernally. It's like you've bee brought up to believe that you'll get whatever you want, no matter how unjustifiable, undeserved and unearned, if you just whinge hard enough for long enough. That's not how the world works. The world doesn't owe you and the tax payer isn't going to spend trillions of dollars relocating Melbourne to Perth just because you feel entitled.

Do we really have to put up with yet another Sumer of this. Can't you just be a good sport for a change and enjoy the game and the success of others, like I did when West Coast won in 2018, instead of constantly whinging that others aren't working hard enough to gift you club more success.
you can bloviate all you want grin but the english language disagrees with you.

58BB4E66-9E0A-4460-A859-3C90A51C3BD7.jpeg B7568792-AC5C-470E-9A44-A8EC10CDE791.jpeg EFE6043F-ACFF-4BA8-B40E-810B09AAA810.jpeg CC47C74E-41C5-4077-B9A9-3B23F3AA4FC2.jpeg

Let me start by saying that the honour of the "worst" premiership has to go to the Fitzroy team of 1916 (there were only 4 teams that year!).

But, this year is surely the worst in the AFL era for a myriad of reasons:

- Quarters were only 16 minutes each (effectively game time 64 mins v the usual 80 mins).
- There were an odd number (17) of rounds (so some teams had more home games than others).
- Scheduling was all over the shop:
- Some teams played "home" games in there opponent's home state (e.g. Hawthorn played a "home" game v the Crows at Adelaide oval).
- Some teams had to come off a 4 day break and play a team coming off an 8 day break!
- Teams had byes at random times - some teams were lucky enough to be given byes right before the finals.
- Home ground advantage was inconsistent (some games had zero attendance, others had 30,000+).
- Umpiring appointments were heavily compromised (some teams had the same umpire(s) over and over, and never had other umpires).
- Victorian bias was rampant:
- Players at Vic based clubs were barely punished for Covid breaches while players from non-Vic clubs were suspended.
- Players at Vic based clubs were allowed to bring their families to the hub, while players from non-Vic clubs were not (or had to pay themselves!).
- The AFL GF was scheduled for Queensland - where the majority of Vic clubs were based - to avoid Port or WCE having a "home" GF.

Basically this season is complete BS.

Dude if the Weagle's had to spend as much of the season in the hub as Richmond did they woudn't have even made finals
I you had to travel to Perth like the other top 4 you wouldn't have made the top four.

Or played Brisbane at the Gabba in H&A.

Face it, your team ws looked after very well, as per usual, but you still need to make the most of it, which they did.

The best of your 3 flags easily.

Let me start by saying that the honour of the "worst" premiership has to go to the Fitzroy team of 1916 (there were only 4 teams that year!).

- Quarters were only 16 minutes each (effectively game time 64 mins v the usual 80 mins).
- There were an odd number (17) of rounds (so some teams had more home games than others).
- Some teams played "home" games in there opponent's home state (e.g. Hawthorn played a "home" game v the Crows at Adelaide oval).
- Some teams had to come off a 4 day break and play a team coming off an 8 day break!
- Teams had byes at random times - some teams were lucky enough to be given byes right before the finals.
- Home ground advantage was inconsistent (some games had zero attendance, others had 30,000+).
- Umpiring appointments were heavily compromised (some teams had the same umpire(s) over and over, and never had other umpires).
- Players at Vic based clubs were barely punished for Covid breaches while players from non-Vic clubs were suspended.
- Players at Vic based clubs were allowed to bring their families to the hub, while players from non-Vic clubs were not (or had to pay themselves!).
- The AFL GF was scheduled for Queensland - where the majority of Vic clubs were based - to avoid Port or WCE having a "home" GF.

I can't believe that some West and South Australians are actually claiming that Victorian clubs had multiple advantages over their clubs this year.
Actually, in hindsight, it was completely predictable.

It just goes to prove what I've been saying for a couple of years now: No matter how much they are advantaged, they'll always claim that they are disadvantaged.
The only explanation is that they must feel really inferior to Victorians.
Kind of sad and pathetic.

Anyway I'll keep enjoying one of the greatest premierships in VFL/AFL history.
Winner are grinners. Losers can please themselves.

By the way, Richmond accounted for both south Australian teams in South Australia this year.

Richmond supporters have always been annoying no matter where they sit, and have become even more insufferable since 17... but good luck to them. This is a bloody good team we are seeing.
The best ever... probably not. WW1 and 2 flags probably rank higher, as having team mates leave to go fight and sometimes die, is a wee bit more tougher than living in a hub, but it was certainly a tough year that deserves a positive asterisk next to it.

I you had to travel to Perth like the other top 4 you wouldn't have made the top four.

Face it, your team ws looked after very well, as per usual, but you still need to make the most of it, which they did.

I know right. Richmond only had to travel to NSW, QLD, NT and SA
West Coast had to travel to QLD. TWICE!!!
Outrageous!
The Eagles were clearly the best team in the comp, by far, and would have won the premiership were it not for VicBias.

I know right. Richmond only had to travel to NSW, QLD, NT and SA
West Coast had to travel to QLD. TWICE!!!
Outrageous!
The Eagles were clearly the best team in the comp, by far, and would have won the premiership were it not for VicBias.
Hmm? When did I mentioned WCE?

They got a bit of a leg up in the FIXture of which they were good enough to take advantage of.

Like I said, best of their 3 premierships, they actually had to earn it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Richmond would have flogged the Weagle's in Perth, you couldn't even beat Collingwood there

I say we disband the AFL now, theres no possible way any club can ever compete with the powerhouse that is Richmond. They've done it. They've defeated the AFL.

The new league will just be two teams, Richmond and the Richmond reserves, and they just play each other for 18 rounds, and then finals.

Lol Richmond would have flogged the Weagle's in Perth, you couldn't even beat Collingwood there
In home and away? Beating collingwood was the biggest win of the season for us from memory. You guys would've stood no chance.

Was your turn to play us in Perth too.

Victorian teams don't have a home ground advantage at grand finals at the MCG.
We've got 30 years of data. You whinging incessantly doesn't change that fact.
you are at the stage of mashing you head on the keyboard and screaming incoherently into the ether.

for data to show anything the terminology has to be correct.

a neutral venue by very definition is one that neither team is a tenant of.

if you dont like that definition i suggest you take it up with oxford, cambridge and websters dictionaries.

when theyve eventually finished laughing at you...........

Do we have a nuffy post of the year award. This has to win it.

-Less game time. Ok? And? That effects every team.
-Scheduling is always all over the shop. Everyone playing each other once makes it more fair than usual.
-Wow different day break between games! You're right that is new to this season.
-Crowds different between games? Lmao. Did you really think that was a genuine point?

-Vic Bias was rampant in a year where no games were played in vic past round 5 because the grand final was played in QLD. What a thought. Gold medal for the metnal gymnastics it took to come to that.
-Port and WCE didn't make the granny you nuffy. Doesn't matter where its played, they were never getting one. Both got knocked out by vic teams on their home ground.
-Vic players were barely punished for covid breaches eh? Did you miss the 2 Richmond players being sent home for the rest of the season?

I'm amazed you wrote so much yet came up with 0 genuine points. Incredible.

In home and away? Beating collingwood was the biggest win of the season for us from memory. You guys would've stood no chance.

Was your turn to play us in Perth too.
Lol who cares about some meaningless H&A win, they humiliated West Coast at their safespace in a final, you wouldn't have got close to any decent side such as Richmond.

Lol who cares about some meaningless H&A win, they humiliated West Coast at their safespace in a final, you wouldn't have got close to any decent side such as Richmond.
No but if you'd travelled like you were meant to then you wouldn't have made the top 4 and unlikely to have made the GF.

Not even remotely close to being the best ever but yes, it's the best of Richmond's 3 gifts.

A personal congratulations to you mate. Dimma and Dusty couldn’t have done it with you. Hope you practiced your two handed drop punt down the park this morning and got a head start on some 2021 banner ideas.

Go and have a look at the teams’ premiership tally (When you reach St Kilda at the bottom, just close your eyes). All teams with 10+ premierships have large supporter bases, there is a very strong positive correlation between those two. So, yes mate, we do make a difference as supporters, what you are doing here is minnow discounting, you devalue what you cannot reach or achieve, just to be able to cope with reality.

Reality for you is: Marlion Pickett has played 20 AFL games and won 2 premierships, twice as many as St Kilda in 147 years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back