Is a finals series without Essendon compromised?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no actual proof but I reckon they had some help in the mid 90s, their captain was a pharmacist and just look at Glen Jakovich FFS!

Compelling evidence. Jako was built like a brick outhouse at 16, his brother Alan was also well built. More genetics than drugs but carry on.

yep. The AFL are a laughing stock. A team is going to be removed from the finals for poor governance and some s**t truck side like Carlton or North are going to Bradbury their way into a finals series.

I can't believe footy fans aren't embarrassed by this ludicrous outcome

Please Lance, tell me what this "poor governance" actually involved.

Mick was asked about this last night in the post game presser, said he didn't care and wasn't interested what would happen, also said we had our chance to play for a spot in the finals against Port next week and blew it, I agree 100%.

yep. The AFL are a laughing stock. A team is going to be removed from the finals for poor governance and some s**t truck side like Carlton or North are going to Bradbury their way into a finals series.

Wow, sounds outrageous. You guys should take the AFL to court...

...unless the club has agreed to this measure as part of a negotiated outcome, of course.

You keep leaving out you have broken the AFL/WADA doping code why is that???
This is not poor governance and has been proven that this actually happened. The doctor who did it has talked about it publicly.

50. The players’ blood was analysed for, inter alia, Insulin Growth Factor 1, which is

prohibited by the AFL Anti-Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Code. Analysing

players’ blood for Insulin Growth Factor 1 is inconsistent with the rational and legitimate

analysis of players’ blood in accordance with the reasonable practice of the medical

departments of AFL Clubs.

May more like. A large shoulder of the blame must go to the AFL. Given the evidence used and gained charges should have been laid in May after Ziggy's report. They instead drew out the process so as not to undermine revenue and pulled the chain just before finals. How convenient.

Wisdom in retrospect is rarely wise.

If the AFL had moved in May there would have been an enormous backlash. The Essendon spinners would have had a field day over these "premature and unjustified" charges. The football world, which is ever willing to can the AFL, would have gone into meltdown.

No way the info in the charge sheets could have been released in May, no way enough of the public would have accepted the charges without it.

LU, Ess shouldn't be competing while under investigation from ASADA. This is just the AFL doing what should have been done at the start of the year. Good luck finding any opposition fans who are against it.

That's not very nice. About North, I mean. Beat Geelong, thumped Richmond and Essendon, close to Hawks twice and will still need to have beaten Collingwood to even be in consideration. Carlton - fair enough.

Yes a finals series without Essendon is compromised. However a finals season with Essendon is also compromised.

That's not very nice. About North, I mean. Beat Geelong, thumped Richmond and Essendon, close to Hawks twice and will still need to have beaten Collingwood to even be in consideration. Carlton - fair enough.
Yep you guys deserve it more, we have only beaten 2 top 8 sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely. Having a team play finals who weren't good enough to get the required wins is an embarrassment, other sports must be laughing at us!

Yes .... that's why they are laughing at us.

AFL could have gathered the evidence on governance before the season started. They chose not to.

AFL having their cake and eating it too!

Yep, it's all the AFL's fault.

A team that has clearly qualified in based on wins and losses miss out.

No proven on field advantage.

Cleared to compete and earn the AFL $ throughout the regular season.

All other teams ranking in part effected by their performance against the club.

Should NM qualify ahead of Carlton based on a win against the Bombers?
The competition will be compromised for the next few years if your cheating club is allowed to participate in it.

Yes it is we should be playing finals. I hope that the club doesn't bow to the media pressure and fights for what is right.

The potential for compromised finals are there either way.

I'd rather see no deals done, and if guilt is established full penalties including a minimum of two years of not being alowed to earn points. Yes, this year's finals may be compromised, but that is likely the case either way. Either a team that didn't earn it on the field plays finals, or a team which may be found not to have had the right to play at all plays finals.

If it is what it is alleged to be, this is too big for deals and plea bargains to be appropriate.
If the very worst is found (widespread, systemic, and instigated by the club rather than merely tolerated) it requires everything short of te club being booted from the competition, and may require life bans for some individuals; players and non-playing staff.
Most likely it will not prove to be the worst case scenario, but everything must be clear and penalties should any drug related breaches be found must be severe. The allegations are way beyond anything else to have occcurred in the sport, and if true they require a penalty of such magnitude as to make the risk too big to ever take again.

Yes well thanks very much to essendon ... They are the ones who have caused this

Your s**t truck coaching panel and club.

Essendon should contest any decision to leave them out of the finals due to poor governance.

If Geelong were kicked out of this year's finals because they forgot to get their players to fill in some forms, I would be most upset.

Players should not be kicked out because their officials did a sloppy jorb.

Would somebody please explain to me how Essendon would not contest this? Lance?

No bigger Bradbury than Ess in 2009 so we've seen it before. Better than letting the Thymosin Bombers onto the finals stage.

Essendon should contest any decision to leave them out of the finals due to poor governance.

If Geelong were kicked out of this year's finals because they forgot to get their players to fill in some forms, I would be most upset.

Players should not be kicked out because their officials did a sloppy jorb.

Would somebody please explain to me how Essendon would not contest this? Lance?

They are being stripped of points not banned from the finals

They are being stripped of points not banned from the finals
Why? Because the officials didn't fill in the right forms, or regularly forgot to clock on for work and didn't get their pay docked, or because the manager let his assistants play office cricket even when the CEO paid a visit? I can't believe a team can get shafted like this for poor governance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back