Is a footy extravaganza weekend in Melbourne a good idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Must’ve been a bloody good long weekend to include both the 25th April & the last weekend in May ;)

Or do you mean the Anzac Eve game rather than Dreamtime @ the G??
Doh, just had a look, it was Lions v Dogs on the Saturday, then Demons v Tigers on the Sunday and Magpies v Bombers on the Monday(Anzac Day)

My only excuse is age.

Doh, just had a look, it was Lions v Dogs on the Saturday, then Demons v Tigers on the Sunday and Magpies v Bombers on the Monday(Anzac Day)

My only excuse is age.

Don’t want to sound too critical— but you are advocating for an ‘All Victorian round’ so that people from interstate could fly in and see as ‘much footy as possible’

Yet the example of the round you flew down to see in 2016 you didn’t go to all the possible 5 games in Melbourne that week.

You could’ve attended Saints V Giants @ Etihad at 1:10pm before the Anzac Eve game that day. Or the hawks V Crows Friday night game (depending on when you flew in)

The most difficult part of your idea is that I can’t imagine a football fan that would be interested in attending 8 or 9 Live games in a round.

It lets me have a boys long weekend away in Melbourne to watch live as much AFL footy as humanly possible, other than that I have NFI.
To be honest if you pick your weekend you can have that anyway. Given 10 Melbourne/Vic teams there has to be 5 games in the City in many weeks.
Friday night, Saturday arvo, Saturday night, Sunday arvo and you’re pretty much full.
Sunday 4.40 is usually the domain of non-vic teams so you won’t get many 5 game weekends in. Though you could do it in R22 this year.
Friday: Melb v Syd (MCG)
Saturday 1.45: Carl v St K (MCG)
Saturday 7.25: North v Port (Dock)
Sunday 1.10: Rich v WCE (MCG)
Sunday 4.40: Haw v GC (Dock)

To be honest if you pick your weekend you can have that anyway. Given 10 Melbourne/Vic teams there has to be 5 games in the City in many weeks.
Friday night, Saturday arvo, Saturday night, Sunday arvo and you’re pretty much full.
Sunday 4.40 is usually the domain of non-vic teams so you won’t get many 5 game weekends in. Though you could do it in R22 this year.
Friday: Melb v Syd (MCG)
Saturday 1.45: Carl v St K (MCG)
Saturday 7.25: North v Port (Dock)
Sunday 1.10: Rich v WCE (MCG)
Sunday 4.40: Haw v GC (Dock)
That weekend would be great except for no Lions in action.

The only reason it works in NRl , is because the average nrl crowd attracts like 3k if lucky. It would be an ohs risk to have afl games at the same venue subsequently starting after each other. Given that you would have 40k entering and exiting the venue at the same time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only reason it works in NRl , is because the average nrl crowd attracts like 3k if lucky. It would be an ohs risk to have afl games at the same venue subsequently starting after each other. Given that you would have 40k entering and exiting the venue at the same time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you look at my suggested schedule in the OP that wouldn't be happening.

Doesn't really matter much, it was a spur of the moment thread from me on reading about the NRL idea. As was pointed out to me earlier most weekends there are 5 games in Melbourne anyway, plenty for a footy trip binge.

given Melbourne will generally have a minimum of 4 games a weekend here, i feel the idea of a carnival of games is a bit over the top.
Personally think it might have better appeal outside the state (i.e. Sydney), where they generally have 1 game a weekend.

But again, the sport is the spectacle.
If you want to improve the overall quality of the game, find something else for Ross Lyon to do other than coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

given Melbourne will generally have a minimum of 4 games a weekend here, i feel the idea of a carnival of games is a bit over the top.
Personally think it might have better appeal outside the state (i.e. Sydney), where they generally have 1 game a weekend.

But again, the sport is the spectacle.
If you want to improve the overall quality of the game, find something else for Ross Lyon to do other than coach.

I dont have the endurance for multiple games in a day, particularly if my team is one of them. I'd say it wouldn't work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back