Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

IF the Dees can sell games to Alice Springs and Darwin, and the Dogs can sell games to Cazalys stadium, we should be able to sell our games to Princes Park - even in the condition its in, it beats all three of these locations.

Sell to who? There's games at Alice Springs, Darwin, Cairns etc because somebody's paying the clubs to go there (and I'm not talking ticket sales). Who's going to pay Carlton to play at Princes Park?

(see the bowls club that got Essendon kicked out of Windy Hill).

That was closer to a PR line than reality by the end. In truth, we were never going to spend the money required to buy dozens of not cheap houses and units to get the space we have now.

Yes I was there a few weeks ago at the northern blues vs Richmond match. Yes the Gardiner stand is about to fall down, yes the Pratt stand looks a mess and yes there is nothing at the heatley end of the ground, not to mension the car parking, but our current board are wondering what to do with the ground, why don't they start demolishing and re building the ground to AFL standered. Surely if the AFL and CFC invested some money each, the ground could get up to AFL standered.
The AFL will not invest money in Princes Park. That is one certainty you can bank on.

The AFL want their stadiums to have fixturing flexibility i.e. be able to be used Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night & for twilight fixtures (not to mention any other random nights the AFL chooses). Princes Park will never have the necessary lighting to enable such fixturing. That was the first nail in the coffin of Princes Park all those years ago. This again comes back to co-operation from local authorities. This is the common ground that current stadiums used by the AFL have. They are supported by local authorities & encouraged to maximise revenue from the venues. The sad part is that even some VFL venues have proper lighting to accommodate twilight & night fixtures. Our ground has had so many obstacles put in the way of installing adequate lighting, that neither our club or the AFL would even bother doing a feasibility study, let alone drawing up plans.

Princes Park will continue to be a VFL, TAC Cup, Women's League venue, but the AFL boat has long sailed.

The problem was always parking
Wasnt there plans to dig it up and put parking underneath the oval ?
It would come down to costs and you would still have massive traffic flows through the suburbs.

The problem was always parking
Wasnt there plans to dig it up and put parking underneath the oval ?
It would come down to costs and you would still have massive traffic flows through the suburbs.
A few years back, i think it was Smorgon, a full redevelopment plan was made that saw a whole swath of ideas floated... Underground parking, retractable light towers... Bringing capacity to around 50k. But the bloody nimby's on Princes Park drive kiboshed it with their objections.

A few years back, i think it was Smorgon, a full redevelopment plan was made that saw a whole swath of ideas floated... Underground parking, retractable light towers... Bringing capacity to around 50k. But the bloody nimby's on Princes Park drive kiboshed it with their objections.

It was SmorgyLand.

Had a look through my Carlton stuff and found the election material and the picture of the proposal.

smorgyland.jpg

Can read about it here:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...-AFL-resurgence/2007/01/16/1168709746363.html

From memory I think the proposed financiers went broke during the financial crisis. We dodged a bullet there.

It was SmorgyLand.

Had a look through my Carlton stuff and found the election material and the picture of the proposal.

View attachment 283438

Can read about it here:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...-AFL-resurgence/2007/01/16/1168709746363.html

From memory I think the proposed financiers went broke during the financial crisis. We dodged a bullet there.
Thank god Pratt won the presidency. We wouldn't even be talking of playing AFL matches there if that went ahead.

I have been a Carlton member for over 50 years and it saddens me to see the direction our club is heading in at the moment. I have seen the blues win 8 flags in a 27 year period, but today players are a distant memory from that. I worry I will not see another Carlton premiership, here are some points to ponder.
Real Carlton supporters are only interested in 2 things. Winning and playing on our beloved home ground Princes Park. When are struggling to win like now, the home ground becomes even more important for it's supporters. Take a look at the EPL for example where the poorer teams still retain their home ground and flock to it even when belted by the wealthy teams such as Chelsea. Carlton's home ground is not just a venue, it is the soul of the most famous AFL club in history. It can't be replicated at Etihad Stadium, or suddenly beam in the Robert Heatley Stand in lights. To do so is already an admission that we miss what we all ready have let go. We need to get a much stronger president, someone who will fight to get at leased 3 or 4 AFL matches to be played at Princes Park each year. Instead of the AFL looking for an alternative venue to replace the unsavory Etihad Stadium, we can spend a fraction of that cost on building the required seating at Princes Park. I guarantee the Carlton faithful would swell numbers to over 25 000 per game. This is more than Etihad Stadium is currently getting for an average game.
Regards Southby

I have been a Carlton member for over 50 years and it saddens me to see the direction our club is heading in at the moment. I have seen the blues win 8 flags in a 27 year period, but today players are a distant memory from that. I worry I will not see another Carlton premiership, here are some points to ponder.
Real Carlton supporters are only interested in 2 things. Winning and playing on our beloved home ground Princes Park. When are struggling to win like now, the home ground becomes even more important for it's supporters. Take a look at the EPL for example where the poorer teams still retain their home ground and flock to it even when belted by the wealthy teams such as Chelsea. Carlton's home ground is not just a venue, it is the soul of the most famous AFL club in history. It can't be replicated at Etihad Stadium, or suddenly beam in the Robert Heatley Stand in lights. To do so is already an admission that we miss what we all ready have let go. We need to get a much stronger president, someone who will fight to get at leased 3 or 4 AFL matches to be played at Princes Park each year. Instead of the AFL looking for an alternative venue to replace the unsavory Etihad Stadium, we can spend a fraction of that cost on building the required seating at Princes Park. I guarantee the Carlton faithful would swell numbers to over 25 000 per game. This is more than Etihad Stadium is currently getting for an average game.
Regards Southby
Bravo...Bravo!

Regards Southby
gonna struggle

Regards Southby

1. It will cost 10's of millions of dollars to get the stadium to a standard where the AFL is prepared to sign it off as suitable. (We are already in debt)
2. The AFL controls the fixture and have no legal obligation to play games at Princes Park.
3. The games would have to be played during the day which attract the least in advertising revenue. They will also have to be played against interstate teams which mean they will likely not be Free to Air but instead on Pay TV which means even less revenue.

What we need to do is find some way to muscle in on the MCG. If we had a strong enough administration we could get in on the action with the types of rooms and facilities that Collingwood enjoy.

Regards Southby

I disagree about worrying about the onfield. Bolton and co have been the first administration to inspire me with hope for a very long time.

I completely agree around the sentiment of PP. It is our home and part of what makes the CFC the greatest sporting team in our country. The fact that PP is still talked about and longed for by fans is testament to this. Outside of Geelong, PP is probably in the best nick and most viable to be turned around.

With soccer taking off, talk of wanting to pitch for the Olympics and World Cup, it is completely viable if the will is there by administrators.

Regards Southby
That you Jack?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regards Southby

I love the sentiment of having a home ground fortress, but I feel it is a folly to work towards getting it. I love going to games at PP. 2nds and pre season games are great, even though its crap to try and get a beer with the ad hoc catering, but ....

The reality is that playing on a ground that is not MCG size regularly, it hinders your chances to win a flag. Case in point are the teams in WA. With all the zones etc nowadays, they can work perfectly on other grounds (Subi), but the GF is still played on the MCG each year. Its why the new Stadium in Perth will be pretty much MCG dimensions. West Coasts "net" was great at Patterson but couldn't cope with the wider spacing needed at the MCG. Its great to win 11 games in Perth most years, but who really cares if you don't win a flag.

Its also interesting to note that the only Etihad tenant to win a flag since the stadium opened was * in 2000, the 1st year of the stadium.

I know Sydney and Geelong have won flag from the SCG and Kardinia(some home MCG games), but it do think there is a correlation between regularly playing on a MCG size ground and performance in big games at the MCG.

As for the EPL comparison, home ground advantage is awesome. There are no finals and if you win more games at home thats less you have to win away (which is much harder) to win the title. A lot different to having to play finals.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of crowds the Womens team draws over summer, I'm guessing we'll have a few games scheduled there. Be good to get to a game or two.

Regards Southby
Couldn't of worded it better my self!

Regards Southby
Bring back the real home ground advantage that a few other clubs have

It's no coincidence we have never been the same again....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses from my return to princes park statement. It is heartwarming to know there are so many Carlton fans out there that feel the same as me. But it is not chat responses that I am looking for but rather actions. We need to vote with our feet. If it is good enough for Essendon fans to march in their thousands in an attempt reclaim their identity then it should be good enough for Carlton fans to march in their tens of thousands to play at our home ground again. I propose to lead this march in 2017. Come aboard, you'll love the ride. Regards Southby

It'll be interesting to see what sort of crowds the Womens team draws over summer, I'm guessing we'll have a few games scheduled there. Be good to get to a game or two.

Womens games, Northern Blues VFL games, and one showcase pre-season game per year, is all that reality dictates it will ever be.

As a famous old Victorian Premier (Sir Henry Bolte) said about a teachers protest march, "they can march up and down Bourke street until they have sore feet for all I care".

;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back