Is Adelaide Oval too small?

Is Adelaide Oval too small?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately the only way to increase the capacity of Adelaide oval is to put a big stand up the score board end. They won't entertain that idea due to those trees everyone seems to love. God help anyone who wants them cut down. South Australians are very protective over them

Unfortunately the only way to increase the capacity of Adelaide oval is to put a big stand up the score board end. They won't entertain that idea due to those trees everyone seems to love. God help anyone who wants them cut down. South Australians are very protective over them
You're talking as though protecting heritage is a bad thing?

Western Stand is also expandable if needed.

I'm aware of the heritage but removing them is the only way to increase the stadium by a large enough amount, should they need and really want it. As mentioned the western stand is another option, by how much that will increase I don't know. One day in the future those trees will be removed. Perhaps not in our life time but heritage listed trees make way for development everywhere.

take a picture of heritage, hang it on the wall and then tear it down

life is about moving forward not living in the past

Increase the depth of the upper level, would be the most basic way. Build another tier on top or, most drastic, replace it with a construction similar to the Eastern Stand.
Western Stand Holds 14,000, eastern stand holds 19,000. Replica design on the western side would give a capacity of 58,500. Western stand with a increased outer and the fact it is wider than the eastern would probably increase it to over 60k which would be perfect.

Have always believed that eventually they will rebuild the Western Stand to replicate the Eastern Stand. Would surely increase the capacity by a bit.

Have always believed that eventually they will rebuild the Western Stand to replicate the Eastern Stand. Would surely increase the capacity by a bit.
I wouldn't be opposed to replicating the Southern & Eastern stand to fit into the Western & Northern end. Relocate the score board to Adelaide Oval No.2. It won't happen though, because it's progress and we all know how much South Australians hate that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relocate the score board to Adelaide Oval No.2. It won't happen though, because it's progress and we all know how much South Australians hate that.
What would be the point of putting a massive scoreboard like that on the back oval? Especially on a public oval where any drongo could damage it?
If a stand needs to be built at the northern end one day it can go from the western stand up to the scoreboard. Perhaps even behind/above it. We put gaps in grandstand seating for replay screens so we can put a gap for a scoreboard that gives a brilliant match summary.

What would be the point of putting a massive scoreboard like that on the back oval? Especially on a public oval where any drongo could damage it?
If a stand needs to be built at the northern end one day it can go from the western stand up to the scoreboard. Perhaps even behind/above it. We put gaps in grandstand seating for replay screens so we can put a gap for a scoreboard that gives a brilliant match summary.
Building a grandstand around the scoreboard would be fine by me.

But in terms of moving it to AO2, it has been penned for upgrades for quite a while, making it an enclosed stadium on a small scale.

I don't understand the fascination with the scoreboard though. It's old and historic, I'll give it that, but it's nothing special to look at, and it's old and outdated technology. Sure, leave it where it is for the time being, but it shouldn't get in the way of another grandstand being built to allow another 15 thousand fans in the door. I personally have no attachment to the scoreboard.

There extending the tram lines down just past the festival theater. They'll need to further increase the transport to help avoid and crowd crushing and congestion.

But in terms of moving it to AO2, it has been penned for upgrades for quite a while, making it an enclosed stadium on a small scale.

I don't understand the fascination with the scoreboard though. It's old and historic, I'll give it that, but it's nothing special to look at, and it's old and outdated technology. Sure, leave it where it is for the time being, but it shouldn't get in the way of another grandstand being built to allow another 15 thousand fans in the door. I personally have no attachment to the scoreboard.
Cricketers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And he members stand at the MCG had heritage..... doubt anybody cares about that anymore

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Heritage is great, but not if it's getting in the way of development and progress. Unfortunately that's one area the Vics have it over us.

I visited the redeveloped oval early this year for the first time (to watch my guys get violently throttled by the Crows, thanks you bastards) - it is an absolutely cracking stadium.

It's possible that it could do with a larger attendance, but I'd be hard pressed to modify it from what it is at the moment, a great place to watch footy.

There extending the tram lines down just past the festival theater. They'll need to further increase the transport to help avoid and crowd crushing and congestion.

Wonder what this means in regards to the Footy Express buses.

It's already congested enough after matches now, let alone with two more lanes being used by trams.

Still one of the best cricket scoreboards in the world, despite it's age.

Back