Is AFL(Aussie Rules) your favourite sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of following:
1. Aussie Rules
2. Football
3. Cricket

Kinda stopped watching union now since its basically been ruined and never was a big fan of league (but follow origin passionately)

In terms of playing:
1. Football
2. Cricket
3. Oztag (if that is a sport)

To watch

1. Aussie Rules
2. Rugby League
3. MMA
4. Basketball
5. Cricket

----

To play

1. Rugby League
2. Aussie Rules
3. Rugby Union
4. Basketball
5. Ice Hockey

To watch:

1. American football
2. Aussie Rules
3. Cycling
4. Football
5. Athletics
Would spend an hour a year in total watching anything else.

To play:

1. Aussie Rules
2. American football/flag football
3. Tennis
4. Football/five-a-side
5. Badminton

Footy

daylight

soccer

daylight

cricket
other sports

daylight

Olympic Games
Commonwealth Games

The last two are not sports but I just don't understand the fascination with them.

Favourite
----------
1. Afl
2. Cricket
3. Soccer

Worst to watch
----------------
1. Rugby league
2. Basketball
3. Tennis

Aussie Rules is easily my favourite spectator sport, but I also enjoy tennis and basketball. Tennis and cricket are both far better partciptation sports than spectator sports though.

1. Aussie Rules
2. Rugby Union - once you get the gist of it u can appreciate it more (and also appreciate how inane RL is, IMO)
3. Tennis - when going for an Aussie/player I like, and it's an epic close one, very, very good to watch.
4. UFC - Just get a kick out of it, and like the different styles/martial arts pitted against each other. Again once you get to know it, you realize it can be very technical and not just a mindless blood sport.
5. Cricket - Mainly good test cricket (20/20 the ultimate cheap thrills format)

The only sports that I follow are football (european leagues) and AFL. AFL isn't as much fun to watch as it used to be but i still have a keen interest in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To watch:
1. Football (or "Aussie Rules")
2. Ice Hokcey
3. Basketball
4. Soccer (or "Football") (is number one during the World Cup)
5. On equal footing: Tennis, Cricket, Gridiron, Baseball and the Olympic sports that I only watch when the Olympics are being played: swimming, running, fencing, skiing, etc.

To play:
1. Basketball
2. Football
3. Soccer
4. Cricket

1) Aussie Rules
2) Soccer
3) Cricket (not much of a fan of t20)
4) Tennis
5) Basketball (used to perform during half-time for the Adelaide 36'ers for about two years...)

To Watch:

1) Soccer.
2) AFL.
3) Basketball
4) Rugby Union
5) Cricket

To Play:

1) Soccer.
2) Basketball.
3) AFL.
4) Golf.
5) Cricket.

1. Aussie Rules
2. Football
3. F1
4. American Football
5. NASCAR
6. V8 Supertaxis (looking forward to the new competition next year)

Lack of scoring does it for me. At least there are regular scores in cricket, and some in rugby. Nil all draws, or 1-0 is just not interesting enough for some, including me.

If you have a short attention span... 0-0 or 1-0 means the game is in the balance until the last minute of the match.

If you have a short attention span... 0-0 or 1-0 means the game is in the balance until the last minute of the match.
The problem is because it's so damn hard to score the vast majority of play is almost irrelevant because it's almost guaranteed that it will never result in a score. You can look away, go get a drink, read the paper, look up and nothing's happened.

You certainly can't do that at the vast majority of AFL games.

I can understand why some people like the game but I can also understand why many don't.

1. Ice Hockey. I played in beer leagues and worked for the NHL. Will always be #1.
2. In no order, baseball, college football, NFL, Footy, college basketball

A year ago, I was oblivious to Australian Football. Now....it's solidly tied at #2 for me. Significant, because most foreign sports don't appeal to me. I'm sure I'd get into soccer if I lived in Europe or South America (mostly for the spectacle)....and Cricket if I lived in Australia. BUT....footy is so damn good, I don't need to live there to be into it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back